It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Eruption on MarS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
These pictures were taken from the ESA photostream on flickr between 2018-09-05 and 2018-10-20.

ESA Photostream

They show an approximately 2000km long plume above the Arsia Mons volcano.

Approximate plume length:

Officially the volcanos last eruption was over 50 million years ago

New study finds martian volcano’s last eruption

So what is it?
Edit: Corrections and updates

edit on 21-10-2018 by MeanMinistry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MeanMinistry

That would be the fabled “Mars umbilical cord”!

That is really freaking cool though! Thanks for the beautiful photos.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Officially the mars volcanos are dormant for over 50 million years.

So what is it?

It suggests that officialdom is not necessarily correct.

It also suggests that the ol' god of war isn't dead after all

Nice!

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Nice find, images are nice as well. Very well could be an eruption. It's said to have thirty times the volume of Hawaii's Mauna Loa.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Cool. Reestablishing the atmosphere maybe.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I saw some hints of this on the "Mars Weather Report" page, for the MRO craft..

There are some movies of the whole globe here. You might see something on the globe in the timeframe mentioned in the OP.

www.msss.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Hauser/Quade started the reactor...

This stuff is fascinating to me, too bad one of the rovers werent where they could see it,if they were still operational.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Wow! still nothing in MSM...kind of worrisome actually. never seen those volcanoes bevore, strange how they are orientated. Maybe it's a giant weapon, or an advanced geo-engineering project. So much...we don't know. I have to say though, the geometric look to these MASSIVE volcanoes does court the imagination about our "dead" neighbor Mars.

SF , thx for the post. I'm sure we'll here about it from NASA tomorrow. If not we all know what that means...DOOM!

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Curiosity has been off the dime ever since September 15th. It has had "computer glitches"

Shame...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Now that is interesting!
Wow!
If I remember correctly, Mars did not have an
iron core, magnetic field, much of an atmosphere,
nor much current geological activity.

Clearly my old astronomy books were inaccurate?
I guess I need to freshen up.

Thank you sharing such a fascinating discovery and
great photos!
Excellent thread, S&F

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Is there any chance this a plume as a result of an impact, and not a plume derived from deep within the planet?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: milano

Wow! still nothing in MSM...kind of worrisome actually. never seen those volcanoes bevore, strange how they are orientated. Maybe it's a giant weapon, or an advanced geo-engineering project. So much...we don't know. I have to say though, the geometric look to these MASSIVE volcanoes does court the imagination about our "dead" neighbor Mars.

SF , thx for the post. I'm sure we'll here about it from NASA tomorrow. If not we all know what that means...DOOM!

Maybe the aliens just cranked up their giant Mars sized space ship and are about to take off somewhere..lol
guess it could be a meteor impact but think it would be massive to eject a plume like that, but didnt they mention it was coming from known volcano

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I thought I remembered reading something a few years back about Mars and volcanic activity, and I found it!

NASA scientists studying volcanic rocks from Mars came to the conclusion that the red planet´s volcano, Mount Olympus, is not dead or dormant but in fact an active volcano whose last eruption might have been as recent as a few years to decades ago.

source
Good find OP! Very cool!

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Secret space/mars mission gone bad?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Number of observationa.

Firstly, the NASA probe is obviously imaging that region at a different time of day, which makes the shadows of the plume, cloud, whatever, much more prominent on the ESA image.

Secondly, the ESA image is upside down, so it's easy not to look in the same place.

I've taken screenshots of the NASA movie from several days and altered the brightness levels and you can clearly make out something in the area (not necessarily in date order)

No-one has made an announcement that it is a volcano because no-one can be absolutely certain that it is one. ESA have also not said what it is, but just because it appears in the vicinity of something we believe to be a volcano does not make it a volcanic eruption. There are plenty of similar cloud streaks visible that are nowhere near volcanos.
edit on 22/10/2018 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Is there any chance this a plume as a result of an impact, and not a plume derived from deep within the planet?

Thought about that too man. But what form of impact has enough energy to create a 2000km plume across such a long timespan? Somerhing must feed that smoke.
Really strange to me about this is the MSM blackout about this. Its curious, why should you hide such an great event?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
Number of observationa.

Firstly, the NASA probe is obviously imaging that region at a different time of day, which makes the shadows of the plume, cloud, whatever, much more prominent on the ESA image.

Secondly, the ESA image is upside down, so it's easy not to look in the same place.

I've taken screenshots of the NASA movie from several days and altered the brightness levels and you can clearly make out something in the area (not necessarily in date order)

No-one has made an announcement that it is a volcano because no-one can be absolutely certain that it is one. ESA have also not said what it is, but just because it appears in the vicinity of something we believe to be a volcano does not make it a volcanic eruption. There are plenty of similar cloud streaks visible that are nowhere near volcanos.

A cloud streak emanating from the same spot over the timespan of a few weeks? Seems unlikely to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I would dispute it being 2000km as well. I've done a screenshot of Google Mars with a roughly 800 km line on it and it is shorter than that.

Most of the apparent plume is actually shadow, thanks to the time of day of the ESA image.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Quite common for prominent peaks on Earth to accumulate clouds around the peak that will then be disturbed by prevailing winds.

I'm not saying it isn't a volcanic eruption, I'm saying people are jumping to conclusions without considering the facts. People seem desperate for it to be one because NASA hasn't said it is one.
edit on 22/10/2018 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This is the Tharsis Montes area. Clouds have been observed there repeatedly. Although this might be the biggest cloud streak observed yet.

Here is a nice hi-res example from 2015:
www.planetary.org...

Another pic from 2005:
www.msss.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join