It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Eruption on MarS?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What the hell... although not related at all... my occurance of syncronisity has increased as of late.

I litterally watched Total Recall the very day you posted this, and I hadn't seen this thread till just now.

Interesting never the less! Thanks for posting it.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
From the horse's mouth: www.esa.int...

In spite of its location, this atmospheric feature is not linked to volcanic activity but is rather a water ice cloud driven by the influence of the volcano’s leeward slope on the air flow – something that scientists call an orographic or lee cloud – and a regular phenomenon in this region.

[...]

a seasonally recurrent water ice cloud, like the one shown in this image, is known to form along the southwest flank of this volcano – it was previously observed by Mars Express and other missions in 2009, 2012 and 2015.
Cloud on 21 September

The cloud’s appearance varies throughout the martian day, growing in length during local morning downwind of the volcano, almost parallel to the equator, and reaching such an impressive size that could make it visible even to telescopes on Earth.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Cool photo from Mars Express Orbiter:

www.esa.int...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Could i ask a hypothetical question here please? Just say it was an eruption, what would that do to Mars and how would it be affected. Just interested.

I was hoping it was Virginia "John Carter" out for a run, ohh well.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Redback

Well its not so much what it would do , but what it means, Mars has been long thought of as a dead planet with little to no geological activity , as the magnetosphere was lost long ago , when mars went dead it lost its atmosphere to the solar wind

signs of geological activity means that the planet is stirring from its slumber and could potentially mean geological processes are happening , this means that if there is geological activity the planet isn't as dead as we first thought.

it could mean that mars could go through a second genesis , genesis in this case meaning life for the planet ,when there is geological activity such as tectonic plate movement , it means the core is moving or at least doing something to facilitate volcanic activity on the surface !
plate movement and core activity could generate another magnetosphere meaning mars could restore its atmosphere !

many if's , at least that it is what I think it means

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I guess there's also the possible influence any eruption would have on atmospheric composition, and as a consequence rain minerals on the surface that might feed life - all the same basic questions we've been asking about the evolution of Earth!

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Thank you kindly...
That is what i was hoping to hear, it would be amazing to watch Mars stirring again.
Maybe someday..!

<< 2  3  4   >>

join