It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cancels pay raise due federal workers in January

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Its about time the public sector cut back

They've been having cutbacks for ten years. Once again you people are ignorant, vicious people who have no idea what you're talking about. I can't wait until the Democrats take over and we can cut the real waste.

Uhm.....

History, repeating, doomed..something like that.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: an325nt

Government jobs aren't supposed to pay well.

government jobs are some of the best cushiest jobs in the nation most of which come with pensions and full medical benefits

it's a major problem and it pisses me off especially when I'm at the DMV or something and some a-hole get's an attitude with someone there or me when I do something as normal as ask a question

Um. If they are good jobs, then maybe that’s not a bad thing? Don’t good jobs drive the economy? Don’t they allow people to buy stuff and have health insurance and homes and take care of themselves and their families like responsible adults?

I get being frustrated at the DMV. Personally I think many government bureaucracies are modeled after one of the nine rings of Hell, but the fact that people are getting paid to work the machinery of government isn’t the problem, rather that the machinery is outdated and inefficient.

JOBS JOBS JOBS!!!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It appears to me, that the vast majority of posters in this thread have no idea what they're talking about. They just think they do. I'm going to drop this link right here: GS 2018 Pay Schedule

The vast majority of federal employees are in the GS-4 to GS-7 range. The majority of IT employees are GS-9/11, which easily explains why Federal agencies have piss poor security, and have been hacked, repeatedly. The engineers responsible for aircraft/ships are average GS-11/13. And what cushy benefits are being referred to? Health and/or life insurance which the employee pays for? Even twenty or thirty years ago, family health ins coverage was a hefty portion of your paycheck. The 401k they optionally contribute to? After over fifteen years of service, my "pension" was less than 5k.

For those assuming most federal employees live in the Washington D.C. area, no, just no. Social Security has offices everywhere, as does the IRS, and that's just two agencies. There are Federal offices all over the world. The military alone employs a great many civilians. My references for all of the above would be as a Federal employee in HR, within several agencies, for over fifteen years, and while that was many years ago, not much changes.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: odzeandennz

Tell that to the welder who hangs upside down for eight hours a day in a torpedo shaft that's only five feet wide.

Ummm... That would be a contract worker. I've never heard of a "welder government worker". That's not the persons this cut is affecting.

LOL I was scratching my head over that stupid comment, thank you for straightening that out. hahahahah

Anyone know how many paid holidays and vacation days the Fed employees are getting? I bet a lot more than anyone in the private sector.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

But Space Force, silly.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Very predictable replies. I can guess the first two pages of any thread as soon as I see the title -- because most people don't get past that point anyway.

Yes Kharron. You ARE very predictable. Complete with hyperbole.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: CB328

Its about time the public sector cut back

They've been having cutbacks for ten years. Once again you people are ignorant, vicious people who have no idea what you're talking about. I can't wait until the Democrats take over and we can cut the real waste.

Uhm.....

History, repeating, doomed..something like that.

More like the definition of insanity. Dems had 2008-2016. How much did they fix?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Honestly, I don’t mind trimming government largesse if it is justified. The salary issue is primarily regarding VA Administrators, I think. The salaries are a lot higher than the private sector, excepting the vast disparity of upper management to average employee salary, of course.

I would like to see corporations that can afford to be more generous to employees (rather than just their top management), do so, which might serve to benefit our economy, as well

Obama froze raises for three years on Federal workers 2010-2013. I’m sure everyone here remembers that? No doubt it was given high praise.

Anyway, the issue for me is less the trimming of possibly bloated salaries, and more the fact that Trump seems only to trim government spending on certain things he resents while spending freely and with massive impact on the deficit for things he likes.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

There are government workers who do exactly the same kind of testing that people who worked in the quality control department where my husband worked did. Those government workers made more, had better benefits, etc., as has been described than the workers in my husband's company, but they did far, far less work even though it was the exact same stuff.

The difference was two-fold.

The workload in my husband's private sector job was dictated by the business cycle. Products had to be put on test and tested to be sure they were in compliance and quality according to various regulatory regimes and practices across the globe and the laws of supply and demand dictated how often this had to happen and the volume and flow.

In the government offices, they were not beholden to supply and demand in any way. Even though they were testing the same products to make sure quality standards had been reported accurately, etc., they knew everyone in the private business world was beholden to them, waiting on them, so government labs would schedule tests and only run what was on their schedule as pleased them, not as the laws of supply and demand demanded. Private business had to plan around them and they cared crap-all about that. It was someone else's problem.

So they were arrogant enough to make everyone wait on them and schedule things as they saw fit, and they could bottleneck everyone else while they waited because they knew everyone had to wait.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t he still doing this job for free. By free I mean doesn’t he donate every thing he makes as President to a cause.
If so, seems like he’s walking the walk

But hey, those golf trips aren’t free, and that’s certainly not coming out of his own pocket.

Kaylaluv you are Petty Crocker

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Like someone else here said, maybe Trump could shoot them for you. That would really get them out of your life. How about their kids too? Maybe their pet dog or cat as well?

this is beneath what I expect of you Kay

I disagree with your posts but I respect your usually civilized tone.

maybe this is all just a trial balloon. interesting to see how much the democrats fight this, if at all. with midterms coming up maybe he just wants a bunch of dems to run to the mics and praise gummint workers...which will annoy many middle-America voters.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
I'm confused... I thought Congress controlled the purse?
They bend to the will of a greater being 😌

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

a reply to: MteWamp

So, no more secret service security, golf trips, or military spending?

Cool.

My dear sweet lady, (Or dude, I don't judge, dudes can be sweet, too!), it absolutely amazes me how you can just pull random words and phrases out of thin air like that, and through some astoundingly disturbing mental gymnastics, (or possibly a lack thereof, the jury is still out on that one) you somehow actually convince yourself that what you typed is actually what I said.

You really, honestly believe that, don't you?

You do speak English, yes? Because if not, WOW am I gonna be embarrassed!

OK. How about this...

Why don't you just walk me through your thought process. I think that would be FASCINATING!

Just take us through, step by step. You know, just call it an exercise, but whatever thought process you employed, it seems to be very similar to the one that the OP used, and it would make for a fascinating analysis!

Look, K, I've been here for years, just as you have. I'm fairly sure that you aren't retarded, (or "special", as we referred to it in the 70s). I'm pretty sure that Anti-Trump-insanity and liberal brain-damage aside, you seem to have your head on pretty straight.

Nevertheless, you left-leaners have absolutely NO problem with just making things up. Outlandish, CRAZY stuff. Just pulling it out of any orifice they can find, and just throw it out there.

Why would you do that?

I BEG you with absolute sincerity, PLEASE. Please help me understand.

I promise you, straight up, that it's not about Ds or Rs. Not with me. I can't stand either party. I'm RABIDLY libertarian. The whole lot of them, are criminals, and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many I would trust.

And at this PARTICULAR moment, that includes Donald Trump. That may change, but at least for the moment, I'm all-in.

If I'm wrong, and don't kid yourself, you can't see the future any more than I can, then I'd volunteer to hold the hangman's rope, and listen to his neck snap, and I'd never lose a minutes sleep over it.

Sorry, I know I ramble, but sometimes I have words that I need to say, and I type much slower than I think.

So please. Make me understand.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: CriticalStinker

of course there's decent federal workers but let's stop pretending they all deserve a pay raise while the rest of us pay higher taxes on EVERYTHING every year to facilitate those raises so they can get their blessing pension's and fantastic medical benefits

"Fantastic medical benefits" are Blue Cross-Blue Shield for $500/month for the standard family plan. No dental or eye unless one pays extra. Union workers contracts were much better. Teachers unions still have some of those bennies.

Federal pensions are not what they were. Look up FERS.

Here is a plot of Federal raises since 1984. There are years with no raises; most recently 2010, 2011, and 2012.

www.theatlas.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wait... "raise due federal workers"?!?! I can remember years in the Navy where we didn't get any kind of cost of living allowance, yet alone a "raise". Deal with it!

Py

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If Trump took walks in the park it would cost roughly the same amount of money as him golfing.

Do you think POTUS should be a prisoner in the White House to save money? Every president has taken time off to do personal and family activities and it always costs the taxpayer a lot of money.

You are making something out of less than nothing. The president has a right to free time. Whatever helps relieve the stress of running the nation is part of the job not a perk.

edit on 30-8-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If this thread proves anything it's that the left loves big government and if they tell you otherwise they are simply being deceptive. Increased taxes... awesome, then the government has more to hand out. Constant pay increases for government employees... awesome, then the government can be even more bloated and get into debt faster. I've been on ATS for quite a while and people have always been calling for wage limits and term limits, now that it's starting to happen some people hate it simply because of the person that made it happen.
edit on 31/8/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Considering how poorly a lot of these folks do their jobs, can't say I have a problem with this.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

You mean like the 3 years there was a pay freeze under Obama....

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Kinda sad people say "all of them get too much pay", ignoring that there will likely be federal employees making crap salaries. The average is high, granted, but if I have a chicken for dinner and my brother doesn't have any chicken, we each got half a chicken on average.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join