It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cancels pay raise due federal workers in January

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If there's ever a need to define political madness, go no further:

President Donald Trump has told Congress he is canceling a pay raise that most civilian federal employees were due to receive in January, citing budgetary constraints.

Trump informed House and Senate leaders in a letter sent Thursday.

Trump says in the letter that locality pay increases would cost $25 billion, on top of a 2.1 percent across-the-board increase for most civilian government employees.

AP

Here's the kicker:

He cites the costs and says: “We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and Federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases.” Trump says he’s determined that for 2019 “both across-the-board pay increases and locality pay increases will be set at zero.”

Really now? The Administration did a $1.5 trillion tax cut geared mainly to the wealthy elite and corporations. The already bloated Military Industrial Complex is set to see an increase in annual budget by $200 billion over the next number of years thanks to Congress and the Administration. We're set to spend $4.2 billion bailing out farmers as the result of this tariff fiasco the Administration started. Not only that, we now have report out stating that 40% of Americans can't afford the basics. Yet all of a sudden it's a priority to keep incomes stagnent for low level Federal workers.

Political Madness.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Trump says in the letter that locality pay increases would cost $25 billion, on top of a 2.1 percent across-the-board increase for most civilian government employees.

He cites the costs and says: “We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and Federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases.” Trump says he’s determined that for 2019 “both across-the-board pay increases and locality pay increases will be set at zero.”

Seems like he's still having troubles to clean up the mess Obama did with the economy.

But yea, you'll criticize anything he does anyways so you lack of credibility to criticize him right now.

+49 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Seems reasonable. Its about time the public sector cut back.
He should go further and fire 75% of all govt workers.
I would make all govt workers explain their value and then keep the top 25%.
It would have zero impact on what gets done.

edit on 30/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
good GTFO out of my paycheck and go get a damn job and develop a real skill like the rest of us

government employee's their disrespectful attitude and pensions can all go F*** themselves

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Corporations that benefit from big government bought out my job this past year, and as a result I got about half the raise I would have needed to cover cost of living increases.

Income tax funds this runaway train of government, and if I had just the last three years of my income taxes back I could pay off my debt and start building a home, debt free.

Want a raise? Get out of public service. Government jobs aren't supposed to pay well.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Tax cut was awesome for me and I am definitely not "the rich". Also, why do government workers deserve a pay raise no matter what anyway?

I have had many years of my life without a pay raise at various times. These people are so entitled acting. It makes people that live in the real world kind of sick.

I used to have some sort of sympathy for government workers but each year it grows smaller and smaller.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

raise your taxes and give them a pay raise and better pension that's the status quo

fire more than half of them and make the other ones compete against one another to keep their jobs, all public sector unions should be outlawed

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I think if the article said:

Trump kills extra staffers in the middle of 5th Avenue, citing lack of funding, the replies on here would be -- well, about time, there are too many government employees anyway. Good for Trump, Obama hired too many people.

Very predictable replies. I can guess the first two pages of any thread as soon as I see the title -- because most people don't get past that point anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: an325nt

Government jobs aren't supposed to pay well.

government jobs are some of the best cushiest jobs in the nation most of which come with pensions and full medical benefits

it's a major problem and it pisses me off especially when I'm at the DMV or something and some a-hole get's an attitude with someone there or me when I do something as normal as ask a question

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Not giving pay rises to unproductive and largely useless people doesn't really equate to killing someone.
But I understand you might be frustrated at yet another dud thread trying to attack the President for doing the right thing.

(post by toysforadults removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Please explain to me why this is a bad thing.

If you disagree with the replies, show us your opinion.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

I think if the article said:

Trump kills extra staffers in the middle of 5th Avenue, citing lack of funding, the replies on here would be -- well, about time, there are too many government employees anyway. Good for Trump, Obama hired too many people.

Very predictable replies. I can guess the first two pages of any thread as soon as I see the title -- because most people don't get past that point anyway.

im with you on that

you can tell exactly where the threads will go before you even read the replies.
dude is a savior.

i dont know

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Not giving pay rises to unproductive and largely useless people doesn't really equate to killing someone.
But I understand you might be frustrated at yet another dud thread trying to attack the President for doing the right thing.

As always UKTruth, baseless attacks on our government from across the pond, or wherever you are attacking from.

Please educate us -- which of our civilian federal employees are useless? Which Americans doing work for our country would you sack? You have a very strong opinion on this so you must have some hard data?

You wouldn't be just parroting, would you?

edit on 30-8-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I've only worked private sector, so I'm not sure how it works in public.

But typically we have a set of numbers to hit each year in private. If we hit the low end of the numbers, we will get a 2%-4% raise, if we miss the target, no raise.

I won't sit here and crap on all federal workers, because brushes with broad strokes are lame. Some of my mailmen have been absolutely incredible and learn about me enough to hold on to certain things till Saturday and they can personally hand it to me.

Sorry to the federal workers out there who go above and beyond. This is something that can happen in any industry though.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

here from someone not across the pond right here in the good'ol USA

let's start with the public pretenders office, fire every single one of them.. next half of the people working on the roads, specifically the half standing around doing nothing

second.. half of all city council's they do nothing, half of DMV employee's, end the drug war and get rid of the DEA, half of the FBI and hell most of the 3 letter agencies

I mean damn this list could go on forever

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Is he talking about congresses pay?

If not then I say this is a bad move.

If he is then I say great.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Good.

Glad to see he is doing the things that need to be done.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

of course there's decent federal workers but let's stop pretending they all deserve a pay raise while the rest of us pay higher taxes on EVERYTHING every year to facilitate those raises so they can get their blessing pension's and fantastic medical benefits

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

What jobs do the government workers do in your city?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join