It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Elway blames Colin Kaepernick for no job: 'had his chance to be here,' omits key fact

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah, he could be a backup, but being a backup doesn't justify the liability of the circus in the eyes of most owners. Too much hassle for not enough reward.

I doubt Michael Vick would have been taken back either had he not been good enough to start for a team with his issues, but his circus was less controversial even than Kaepernick's.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If Kaepernick was a good enough QB, someone would have put up with his circus. But, he's just not. That's all there is to it.

He's not Aaron Rodgers or Dak Prescott or even Tom Brady.

Sure he's not that good, but there have been some really bad starting quarterbacks the last couple of years and some really, really horrendous back ups. he's better than them.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

If Kaepernick was a good enough QB, someone would have put up with his circus. But, he's just not. That's all there is to it.

Dak is mediocre at best, and really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same conversation as Brady and Rodgers.

Dak was a House Afire much like Kaep in his glory days though. Hence, I made that comparison.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Sure he's not that good, but there have been some really bad starting quarterbacks the last couple of years and some really, really horrendous back ups. he's better than them.

And I'll bet you those others are less of a media circus and pain in the ass, too.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
the fact of the matter is, his "protest" is based on the lie that black men are under some kind of racial attack by whites and cops. The stats just don't bear that out and actually show the opposite is true.

What you say is true, but the real impetus behind Kapernick's protests were to save his ass from being straight up cut by the Niners. Somebody got into his ear and said "Dude, your talents are eroding rapidly, you've backslid in a major way from your 2nd season in the league on forward... if you rebuild yourself as a freedom fighter and a SJW, the extremely liberal city you play for will re-embrace you and the team won't be able to cut you without it becoming a major pain in the ass for them." and thus we ended up with the whiny, washed up bum he became.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

And I'll bet you those others are less of a media circus and pain in the ass, too.

You got a point, but that's why he doesn't have a job. It's not his skills, it's the media circus. Skill wise he should be playing.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Risk/reward... are the potential rewards worth the massive media circus, headaches, and foolish attention whoring he'd bring along with himself? I'd say "no." Hell, even Ocho Cinco and TO eventually found themselves unemployable on a football field thanks to their horsecrap distracting teammates from their actual job: playing football.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Risk/reward... are the potential rewards worth the massive media circus, headaches, and foolish attention whoring he'd bring along with himself? I'd say "no." Hell, even Ocho Cinco and TO eventually found themselves unemployable on a football field thanks to their horsecrap distracting teammates from their actual job: playing football.

And I'm okay with that, I agree with you. But don't ever say it's because of his skills. He's better than almost every back up QB in the league or equal to them.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

And the stupid tradition of destroying/burning cars and other random items when the home team wins the championship.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

He's not that good. If he was the next Tom Brady he'd still be playing.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

You got a point, but that's why he doesn't have a job. It's not his skills, it's the media circus. Skill wise he should be playing.

As a backup at best. The guy averaged 177 passing yards a game for his career. That's atrociously bad. 32 NFL QBs posted better stats last year alone, and only one regular starter... aging Joe Flaco, posted worse. Kap was a marginal system back as a starter playing under a gameplan that was entirely crafted and personalized to him, in which he still managed to post marginal stats. Nobody tailors the gameplan to a backup QB, they simply sign a backup QB that fits the plan for the starter they may end up filling in for. Kap's "skills" peaked in his second year and had steadily eroded since that point. He showed all the signs of being a Rick Mirer level QB at best... a nobody who spends his final few years bouncing around from paycheck to paycheck with whatever team holds his contract hoping and praying that their starter stays healthy and the backup is never needed outside of trash time.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

And we've discussed that his skills don't matter here. He's just not good enough to overcome his baggage. Being good enough to be a backup won't overcome his toxicity.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The protest were going on when this offer was made to Kap. He wanted more money so he turned it down. It is his own fault. I could care less if the players kneel during the anthem.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Walmart is hiring, I see they got a sign out all the time.

Could get on part time then he'd have plenty of time to protest 'stuff'.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

And I'm okay with that, I agree with you. But don't ever say it's because of his skills. He's better than almost every back up QB in the league or equal to them.

Yes and no. He had skills within a very specific system, how many teams tailor their system to the skills of the backup QB? This is why the Broncos were the only suitor for him in 2016... they had a team which was in transition QB and playbook wise. No other team looked at him because, outside of Seattle, nobody else had a system in place which Kap's "skills" would have served in any way.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I doubt Michael Vick would have been taken back either had he not been good enough to start for a team with his issues, but his circus was less controversial even than Kaepernick's.

That’s not how a counterfactual works.

Moving on though, whether it’s more controversial to maim, torture, and kill dogs with unnerving malice, than to kneel during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner seems like an easy answer, but your assertion certainly seems to be the case, I cannot disagree with that.

As for Kap’s on-field ability, it is limited when he’s not a run threat. Arm talent is there but you gotta have it tuned in between the ears and he ain’t and that ain’t gonna get you a starting NFL gig. Plus, when’s the last time you saw an old running QB? As mentioned before, Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens were gonna sign him as a backup last summer and he begrudgingly accepted, but then his loud-mouth girlfriend put Ray Lewis on social media blast. His better half cost him a backup job for sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Vick's issues were less controversial because the press chose to more or less ignore them, not because of the relative merits or lack thereof of what he did. The press doesn't see bad behavior like that out of football players as extremely controversial news because they more or less expect bad behavior out of football players. Football is a violent, thuggish game, so what more can we expect?

Kaep's baggage is bigger for the same reason that Daniel Sam's was/would have been -- they created issues that the press could bang for more cheap mileage.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The fact that Kaepernick can't even read a defense might have something to do with his unemployment as well. Once defensive coordinators figured out that if you take away his primary read he'll take off running so all you had to do was spy him with a linebacker or safety - the nail was in his career as a NFL quarterback. His "protests" were a desperate and selfish plea to stay relevant and famous. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Kaepernick has been an affluent with no shortage of resources or connections. He could have easily set up press conferences while not wearing the jersey, or set up a foundation to further his causes. Whatever your opinion on his politics, I understand why people wouldn't want to employ someone who is going to use the employers platform for political speech, it could be bad for business.

NFL season is about to kick off, so I figured I'd prime the discussion I am sure was going to come sooner or later.

I agree with this. Kap is using the wrong venue for his protests imo. He has the right but he must suffer the consequences. Also, go ahead and protest once or twice, you don't do it at every game.

But he has the right to sue, maybe he’ll win his lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Heck, if the players want to protest, then they can, but I think they picked the wrong target for their protest.

The police are one small aspect of this country and the flag and anthem stand for all of it. They might as well have burned the flag. What they did sent that sort of message to a lot of people, and I don't care if that's what they intended. That's the message that was received.
edit on 17-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join