It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Strange Black Line

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
So yea, the title of the post pretty much sums it up, but this is a photo of A Strange Black Line. By the way, the reason I am posting this in the Gray Area forum is because I wasn't sure on which other forum it would belong to. Now, before I go and explain the details of it all, I would like to say that the purpose of this post is to share my experience and to invite ideas and opinions from all of you to include figuring out what this could have been. Now, time for a little history! So i originally took this photo back in January of 2017, and have had it saved on my Icloud storage ever since. I still live at the same place it was taken to, which is central California, specifically 20 min. south of Fresno, CA. I'm trying to remember but I'm pretty sure it was morning time, around 10:00a.m. or so? Well me and my close friend had both seen it. (Note: we share the exact birth-day n year, and together we always see the unexplainable happen ) Anyways yes, we both saw this up in the sky for I'd say, a total of 20-30 seconds, before it slowly faded away and completely disappeared. So the story-line goes, we both walk outside of my house and into my backyard, to smoke a cigarette. Pretty normal day so far, amIright? So as we're out there, I happen to look up and see this black line, that stretched completely(no b.s.) across the sky, from one end to the other. And I live in an open area with few buildings and or trees to obstruct the view of the sky, which I'm saying just to provide you with an idea of my immediate range of vision .. And I remember immediately showing my friend and we both couldn't even contemplate what we were seeing. I remember the forecast was sunny, with clear-skies(Note; one exception being the smiley face clouds), which would rule out any type of shadows, etc.coming from the clouds. Another thing is, if you look closely, right along side the black line is an airplane and it's contrail, in mid-flight. And notice how the black line clearly extends beyond the airplane as well, ruling out the plane being any kind of the culprit. Still so bizarre to me, even to this day.

Well let me know what you think, ATS.

Thanks
P.S. Sorry for the short-and-choppy story and or grammar mistakes.
edit on 8/6/2018 by LtFluffyCakes96 because: Maintenance

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
doesn't appear to be black to me?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
doesn't appear to be black to me?

There's a distinct 'shadow' looking line running parallel to the contrail.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: LtFluffyCakes96

Looks like exhaust from takeoff.

The contrail didn't start until the conditions were right at higher altitude.

That's why you only see the exhaust trail until the plane gained enough altitude to start running a contrail.

I think you may have it backwards saying that the black line extends beyond the plane. It's before the contrail starts.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Yes!! I've seen that too. It'd be a black line and most of the time the plane appears to follow, sometimes just the dark line by it's self.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot

That's why you only see the exhaust trail until the plane gained enough altitude to start running a contrail.

I think you may have it backwards saying that the black line extends beyond the plane. It's before the contrail starts.

No, no, the ones I've seen were their before the plane.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It's called a Shadow....if you look at the sky more than once a year, you'll see these all the time. It's called Physics...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
In the old days all jets used to leave a smoke trail.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

This is called a contrail shadow.

The effect you’re seeing is is caused by the contrail almost perfectly lining up with the sun.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot

No not backwards

Where the contrail is starting and thinnest is where the plane is and the shadow does extend past it.

Its simply a shadow created by the contrail.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

It's actually a phenomenon known as an "Edge Shadow" and it is caused by the sun being directly behind an object like an aircraft contrail. It will project the shadow all the way to the horizon.

ETA - I'm guessing the aircraft was flying in a generally NW direction at the time of your photo, right?

ETA - I meant NW (not NE) (corrected)
edit on 8/6/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: Corrected NE to NW

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Simply a contrail shadow.

Contrail shadow from 1974

Correspondence in relation to contrail shadow from 1955

Contrail shadow from 1955

Contrail Science link for Contrail Shadows

Contrail shadows filmed by passengers airliners.

Hang gliding through a contrail shadow

edit on 6/8/2018 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Some other examples of contrail shadows

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LtFluffyCakes96I agree....shadow.
I've also seen them occasionally with the exhaust from launches from KSC.
The size of the shadow will match up to the exhaust plume more or less.

edit on 6-8-2018 by grubblesnert because: p not e

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretsoftheBlueApples
It's called a Shadow....if you look at the sky more than once a year, you'll see these all the time. It's called Physics...

Funny though how I have lived a whole lifetime and near death at my age now and I have never seen this until a year ago. I took pictures just like the OP and I was with people who also had never seen this before, no sun out, but we are all Mandela actives maybe your universe and not ours

edit on 6-8-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Funny though how I have lived a whole lifetime and near death at my age now and I have never seen this until a year ago.

Its quite rare as whatever is flying and leaving a trail needs to be lined up with the sun.

I took pictures just like the OP and I was with people who also had never seen this before, no sun out, but we are all Mandela actives maybe your universe and not ours

Just like the OPs?

these are day time shots

If you say the sun was not out then was it night?

If so a bright moon can also create the shadow but not as noticeable as during the day for obvious reasons.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Just like the OPs? these are day time shots If you say the sun was not out then was it night?

day, cloud cover no sun the line was straight up and down with the dark line preceding as the OP anyway glad to have seen it. I saw the Green Flash only once too.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

day, cloud cover no sun the line was straight up and down with the dark line preceding as the OP anyway glad to have seen it.

Daytime means the sun is present, it doesn't matter if there is cloud cover.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Its a special marker that helps the plane navigate and tells where the pilot where to go.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Interesting I’ve seen these a few times and wondered what they were.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join