It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Number Of Americans Living In Their Vehicles “Explodes”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

People are living in cars and tents because the rental market has gone unchecked for decades. When rent on a one bedroom apartment increases by $50-100 or more per year and landlords are allowed to charge separately for water/trash/etc. on top of rent increase every time there is a natural disaster in ANY part of the country even people who earn a decent paycheck can't afford it.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
a reply to: luthier

That's why apartment complexes and condo communities popped up everywhere.

The point I was making is that the OP is a knee-jerk reaction. It fits into a certain narrative but when you dive into the details, it doesn't hold water. It's just more misdirected blame game.

There are dozens of actual factors that play significant roles in the homelessness crisis.... the OP is trying to convince people the economy isn't doing well because people are sleeping in their cars...

The author of the actual article apparently couldn't even find a photo of someone living out of their car, and instead used a photo of a dad and his infant son sleeping in the back seat on an apparent road trip. But hey, car-houses are exploding!!! So let's all lose our minds!

Sure. I am just saying pumping up an economy for 2 decades with stimulus and low interests rates will most likely lead to a correction. The fact we have the highest national debt in history kind of shows we aren't really recovered.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Here's and Idea, how about folks quit moving to LA thinking they are going to be in the movie business, record business or some other asinine idea? The US blue collar work force is evaporating because everyone thinks they should do their own start up of are going to be top dog at a firm coming out of college. There are plenty of jobs in Indiana. My company cant hire fast enough right now and we are in Manufacturing. Sorry, it won't be fame and fortune but it put food on the table, clothes on your back, supports the buying of a house and cars. Good old fashioned hard work at the blue collar level BUILT America.

My company will even train you if you have ZERO experience.
edit on 3-8-2018 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Of course. All we really have for the bullet wounds of our economy is band-aids. Our government won't effectively address the massive issues that will eventually destabilize or crash the economy again because they're in bed with every major player that forces the economy to crash in the first place. Or at least they choose to look the other way until it's too late, and afterwards come in to play 'hero' and claim "no one saw this coming"

But that's not what this thread is about...

link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: network dude

Finding a job that can pay for your family and use your skill set is not the same as having a landscaping job or working in a hardware store.

that is correct. But there are jobs available where there weren't any before. And there are many programs out there to help people who ask for help. I'm not unsympathetic to people falling on hard times, but rather than look for someone to blame, you would do much better to look for a way to better your situation. Blaming others is good for your feelz now, but doesn't do a damn thing to put food on the table tomorrow.

link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Here's and Idea, how about folks quit moving to LA thinking they are going to be in the movie business, record business or some other asinine idea? The US blue collar work force is evaporating because everyone thinks they should do their own start up of are going to be top dog at a firm coming out of college. There are plenty of jobs in Indiana. My company cant hire fast enough right now and we are in Manufacturing. Sorry, it won't be fame and fortune but it put food on the table, clothes on your back, supports the buying of a house and cars. Good old fashioned hard work at the blue collar level BUILT America.

Homeless in a car because the area is too expensive... put some gas in it and freaking move where you can afford to live.

The entire premise of the OP is bunk.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

a reply to: BeefNoMeat

The data that shows our debt is at 78 percent of the gdp.

I think it shows it’s higher than that — ~105% in one the last couple years.

And the historical debt-to-GDP ratio/percentage is like 60-70%, so if your inference is that the government interference data (in the form of debt-to-GDP) would show a correlation in car home occupancy, I’m calling that out and saying you’re flatly wrong. If you’re not saying anything at all, but instead, reading another poster’s mind and answer correctly for them, then keep on, keeping on — you’ve got a bright future on anonymous Internet forums

I am making the claim that continued loans and stimulus are supporting the economy. Not people are homeless because of it. They will be during the correction period if they haven't saved and invested properly.

And by the way the only time debt has been higher was during ww2. This is the debt held by the public vs gdp. But yes the government debt to gdp as you point out is 105.4.

So maybe read a little closer or ask for clarification before misrepresenting an argument and starting with the ad homs.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why source an article written by someone whom I must assume did due diligence and investigated the claims in the article if all you are going to do is tells it's good but wrong ?

The post "corrects" the article yet it is corrected without anything other than opinion. No links, no statistics, nothing but opinion.

I have no doubts many people live in their cars. Houses are expensive and apartments are as well. Too expensive. Low unemployment numbers, jobs added, taxes lowered which means income went up and wages are slowly going up.

Numbers don't lie, but one can always dig up numbers that look good as well as find numbers which look bad. The economy is doing good and hopefully gets better and wages go higher.

Opinions don't change facts. It can always be better but I suppose only believe it's better if everyone is the same and everything is given to them for free. I don't want to live there.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I don't know if ignoring monetary policy I'd a good idea. If I were a family farmer effected by the tariffs I think I would be blaming someone. Or required aluminum for my product.

Some jobs are not exactly easy to walk away from like say owning 1000 diary cowes. Or folding up your business because the supply line has been over taxed.

Yeah I have always been fine because I am a tradesman and nobody get trained anymore to do that work. My wife is very successfull. However I don't think I am everyone in the world and my life applies to every situation.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

There could be a correlation with the public personal debt being nearly 80 percent of the gdp and homelessness.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

If the U.S. economy is really doing so well, then why is homelessness rising so rapidly?

Because people choose it, and are too lazy to work, of course.

/end sarcasm

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

How about instead of assuming for someone instead, you clarify — starts with you first.

And there were no “ad homs” — simply calling a spade a spade (particularly, that part where you presented the wrong data point and drone on about reading a lil closer).

I’m out

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

How is that personal debt broken down by level of income & class? what's the mean for each class? what's the age of the personal debt? how many have ongoing bankruptcy claims? is it CC debt? mortgage? cars? what % of the debt is still being paid on, and what % is delinquent?

There could be a correlation, sure... but does personal debt typically lead to homelessness??

Or does loss of income, drug addiction and lack of personal drive more often than debt?

I'm all for reviewing links and graphs if you offer any. In the end, claims are easy... backing it up with verifiable and conclusive data to back up claims aren't.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

*fist pump*

Congrats you identified the source of trumps power.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

How about instead of assuming for someone instead, you clarify — starts with you first.

And there were no “ad homs” — simply calling a spade a spade (particularly, that part where you presented the wrong data point and drone on about reading a lil closer).

I’m out

I provided no wrong data point. You made an assumption about what our debt meant. When I clarified I meant personal debt you replied with an empty post void of any point. Pretty clear you made an ad hom as it was irrelevant to any point.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

How is that personal debt broken down by level of income & class? what's the mean for each class? what's the age of the personal debt? how many have ongoing bankruptcy claims? is it CC debt? mortgage? cars? what % of the debt is still being paid on, and what % is delinquent?

There could be a correlation, sure... but does personal debt typically lead to homelessness??

Or does loss of income, drug addiction and lack of personal drive more often than debt?

I'm all for reviewing links and graphs if you offer any. In the end, claims are easy... backing it up with verifiable and conclusive data to back up claims aren't.

Socio economics are not real easy to confirm simply with data without interpretation and context.

On the other hand can you prove anything you are saying with a graph or are you just using anecdotal evidence.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

If the U.S. economy is really doing so well, then why is homelessness rising so rapidly?

Because people choose it, and are too lazy to work, of course.

/end sarcasm

Sarcasm or not... the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
S&F for bringing this topic up. I did two separate stints living in my car for several months at a time. It is not fun and you are treated like a leper. I live in a close suburb of Seattle, in the cheapest apartment complex in the area and my $hitty two bedroom apartment is $1,400 per month plus utilities. Paper thin walls, no AC, and plenty of car vandalizing/theft.

Absolutely absurd.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Prove??

All I did was ask relevant questions.

How is one supposed to prove questions exactly??

It's ok to not know.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I don't know if ignoring monetary policy I'd a good idea. If I were a family farmer effected by the tariffs I think I would be blaming someone. Or required aluminum for my product.

Some jobs are not exactly easy to walk away from like say owning 1000 diary cowes. Or folding up your business because the supply line has been over taxed.

Yeah I have always been fine because I am a tradesman and nobody get trained anymore to do that work. My wife is very successfull. However I don't think I am everyone in the world and my life applies to every situation.

so you are in favor of the blame game, followed by the "poor me" game? I bet you and your wife don't opperate like that. And if things get slow, you find a way to make things better, as I do and as so many others do. Crying about how bad you have it, won't fix anything. Trust me, when the economy tanked in 2008 and I finally lost my ass in 2011, my tears didn't do a damn thing to help, but my getting a new job sure did.

But if the kinder gentler approach works for you, super.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join