It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Number Of Americans Living In Their Vehicles “Explodes”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
LI NK

One of the biggest lies going around now is that the economy is booming.

If the U.S. economy is really doing so well, then why is homelessness rising so rapidly? As the gap between the rich and the poor continues to increase, the middle class is steadily eroding. In fact, I recently gave my readers 15 signs that the middle class in America is being systematically destroyed.
More Americans are falling out of the middle class and into poverty with each passing day, and this is one of the big reasons why the number of homeless is surging. For example, the number of people living on the street in L.A. has shot up 75 percent over the last 6 years. But of course L.A. is far from alone.

This article is good but deceptive like much of the information regarding the US economy.
The people he refers to as middle class who are going out of the middle class into poverty weren’t the middle class in the first place, they were LOWER middle class.

He’s actually referring to the people salaried at the mid-range of the LOWER middle class that is 50 grand to about 100 thousand in gross yearly salary. That group is indeed being squeezed into poverty and onto a job at Burger King.

The reason why this distinction is important is that the vast population believing the LIE they are middle class is a way to convince people that everything is alright and you’re doing fine at a middle class, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 100, plus thousand and up dollars a year salary.

But if you understand that you’re NOT middle class and already near to poverty and homelessness people might finally WAKE UP and start demanding a share of the wealth of the country

The middle class, in reality, is 200,000 dollars a year salary minimum.

The lower middle class is 35 thousand to about 180, 000 a year…the 20 thousand to 200 thousand is like a buffer zone between the lower middle class and actual middle class.

That said, nonetheless, this article points out that the American economy IS NOT doing great as the amount of homelessness is increasing nationwide. Now certainly the economy is doing great for the stock market class, the 1 percent and 9 to 20 percent, that is the upper and true middle-class people, the lower middle class and lower class has been duped, abandoned, tricked, deceived, and lied to into permanent poverty and near serfdom.

Other major cities on the West Coast are facing similar problems, and that includes Seattle. It turns out that the Emerald City has seen a 46 percent rise in the number of people sleeping in their vehicles in just the past year…
The number of people who live in their vehicles because they can’t find affordable housing is on the rise, even though the practice is illegal in many U.S. cities.
The number of people residing in campers and other vehicles surged 46 percent over the past year, a recent homeless census in Seattle’s King County, Washington found. The problem is “exploding” in cities with expensive housing markets, including Los Angeles, Portland and San Francisco, according to Governing magazine.
Amazon, Microsoft and other big tech companies are in the Seattle area. It is a region that is supposedly “prospering”, and yet this is going on.
Sadly, it isn’t just major urban areas that are seeing more people sleeping in their vehicles. Over in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, many of the homeless sleep in their vehicles even in the middle of winter…

I am truly tired of hearing about the goddam lie that the economy is going great... IT IS NOT GOING GREAT. Not for the TRUE middle class or lower middle class or the lower class.

Salaries are going down and stagnant, as they have been for decades

WAKE UP!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
in 92 my family moved to my wife's country, the economy in Calif was in the tanks, I even had 3 state licenses and I just couldn't make things click at the time.
I moved to Calif. in 78, in a campground for rv's only near Disney Land, the manager let us put up a tent. I know what hard times are.
We, as humans need to change with the flow of life. It's like the rive becomes dry and no fish.
I once said on this forum that an easy life style will be the ruin of any nation.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Its all part of the big lie.

Supporters can't swallow it fast enough.

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
People aren't sleeping in their cars because of lack of affordable housing or because the economy isn't doing well.

If you peel back the onion, I would bet you'll see a huge connection to the opioid crisis. In other words, people are sleeping in their cars because they can't hold a job down due to their drug addiction.

+33 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I CALLED THIS!

*fist pump*

HELL YEAH!

I said that once Trump gets into office, the homeless problem will come back into focus after being systematically ignored for all the years Obama was in office!

DAMN!

Gotta buy a ####ing lottery ticket now!

BOOYA!

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
LI NK

If the U.S. economy is really doing so well, then why is homelessness rising so rapidly? As the gap between the rich and the poor continues to increase, the middle class is steadily eroding. In fact, I recently gave my readers 15 signs that the middle class in America is being systematically destroyed.
More Americans are falling out of the middle class and into poverty with each passing day, and this is one of the big reasons why the number of homeless is surging. For example, the number of people living on the street in L.A. has shot up 75 percent over the last 6 years. But of course L.A. is far from alone.

This article is good but deceptive like much of the information regarding the US economy.
The people he refers to as middle class who are going out of the middle class into poverty weren’t the middle class in the first place, they were LOWER middle class.

He’s actually referring to the people salaried at the mid-range of the LOWER middle class that is 50 grand to about 100 thousand in gross yearly salary. That group is indeed being squeezed into poverty and onto a job at Burger King.

The reason why this distinction is important is that the vast population believing the LIE they are middle class is a way to convince people that everything is alright and you’re doing fine at a middle class, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 100, plus thousand and up dollars a year salary.

But if you understand that you’re NOT middle class and already near to poverty and homelessness people might finally WAKE UP and start demanding a share of the wealth of the country

The lower middle class is 35 thousand to about 180, 000 a year…the 20 thousand to 200 thousand is like a buffer zone between the lower middle class and actual middle class.

That said, nonetheless, this article points out that the American economy IS NOT doing great as the amount of homelessness is increasing nationwide. Now certainly the economy is doing great for the stock market class, the 1 percent and 9 to 20 percent, that is the upper and true middle-class people, the lower middle class and lower class has been duped, abandoned, tricked, deceived, and lied to into permanent poverty and near serfdom.

Other major cities on the West Coast are facing similar problems, and that includes Seattle. It turns out that the Emerald City has seen a 46 percent rise in the number of people sleeping in their vehicles in just the past year…
The number of people who live in their vehicles because they can’t find affordable housing is on the rise, even though the practice is illegal in many U.S. cities.
The number of people residing in campers and other vehicles surged 46 percent over the past year, a recent homeless census in Seattle’s King County, Washington found. The problem is “exploding” in cities with expensive housing markets, including Los Angeles, Portland and San Francisco, according to Governing magazine.
Amazon, Microsoft and other big tech companies are in the Seattle area. It is a region that is supposedly “prospering”, and yet this is going on.
Sadly, it isn’t just major urban areas that are seeing more people sleeping in their vehicles. Over in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, many of the homeless sleep in their vehicles even in the middle of winter…

I am truly tired of hearing about the goddam lie that the economy is going great... IT IS NOT GOING GREAT. Not for the TRUE middle class or lower middle class or the lower class.

WAKE UP!

I am calling you out on the numbers you quoted. Two hundred thousand dollars a year, minimum to be called middle class? What a bunch of bunk. The only place that may be remotely true is in places like San Francisco. Where did you get your information, please quote some sources.

Yes, I do agree there are lot's of people living in their cars or RV's. The local Walmart parking lot is full of them. Many of us are one paycheck away from joining them. There are many factors conspiring against the working middle class: health care, housing costs, stagnating wages. Our government seems to be more concerned with the "rights of illegal immigrants than it does for citizens that have paid into this system for their entire lives. (The last statement is my opinion, for what it's worth).
edit on 3-8-2018 by pointessa because: added

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
People aren't sleeping in their cars because of lack of affordable housing or because the economy isn't doing well.

If you peel back the onion, I would bet you'll see a huge connection to the opioid crisis. In other words, people are sleeping in their cars because they can't hold a job down due to their drug addiction.

Hawaii is tops on your reply.
Bed matteras lying on the streets near Kmart. Really, mental illness and drug abuse is the shadow of darkness in all cities worldwide these days.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Don't need to wake me up! I'm only too well aware of this problem.

Thing is however, its not a political problem, its a structural problem or perhaps numerous structural problems. And no, it isn't going to get fixed. The real truth is that every year going forward there will be fewer and fewer "middle class" jobs. Nothing anybody can do about that. Basically, if you can't "code" or become a doctor or a lawyer, you're going to starve. And that's doubly true if you live in or near one of these major Urban areas. Two or three cab drivers commits suicide in NYC every month, if not more. Losing their jobs to Uber drivers who will end up losing their jobs to the autonomous cars running about.

And no, no damned Democrat or Republican is going to solve this.

And just imagine how bad it will be in the next "Great Recession"! It'll make the Great Depression look like a Tupper Ware party!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
All these positive poll numbers put out by the Trumps WH is fake news. You can't trust government statistics!

The homeless in even moderate sized cities is staggering.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
LI NK

WAKE UP!

If what you said wasn't true, we'd all not have
seen it offline.
One of the reasons I got offline often is to step outside this venue,the net, not Ats
I've lurked because much here echoes experience.
Bless.. Hope this post doesn't violate my newbie status.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Now, I am not American so not really going to comment on social issues. I will say that the OP and the various links are a spectacular example of the misuse of statistics. Where people living in cars has risen by 49% (or whatever), what does that mean? Sounds shocking, but it could be one person if the baseline is two!

Also the term "middle class" seems to be abused. I don't really like classes, but if they are to be used then it's not usually about income, it's about occupation. The middle class are the professionals, such as engineers, nurses, doctors and so on. In the USA are there less people in the professions? If income is a indicator of class, then it's based around median earnings or disposable income, which in the States is around $75K for the middle class and not the $200K cited.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
All these positive poll numbers put out by the Trumps WH is fake news. You can't trust government statistics!

What most of you that never been without shelter don't understand is that many States will give you food stamps to survive on. Many people will trade the food for cigs and alcohol , that is a fact.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I agree with the ‘wake up’ part. The most liberal areas are having the toughest time....interesting. It’s like people have to pay taxes for the government to make sure no one has a plastic straw.

It also personal choices. Do you want to live in a car or share a room with a roommates. Do you want insurance or a cell phone. Do you want to vote for people who want to increase government, which in turn, will take more of your mo why. There are no free lunches, 🌞

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I tried to discuss this same point here once and wasn't very successful. I got several pages of comments like middle class is not determined by income. If you have a college degree you are middle class. They came up with all kinds of ways you are middle class even if you are living paycheck to paycheck.

People can not accurately tell what class they are in unless they are middle class. Many working class people don't know very many wealthy and can't make distinctions among them. It works the other way around too.

That said, if so many people are living in their cars now, maybe the automakers should start making more cars that are comfortable to live in. Not just vans. I once owned a '58 Rambler that had front seats that folded flat with the back to form a bed. Maybe it was designed for camping. Good to make out in too.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
in 92 my family moved to my wife's country, the economy in Calif was in the tanks, I even had 3 state licenses and I just couldn't make things click at the time.
I moved to Calif. in 78, in a campground for rv's only near Disney Land, the manager let us put up a tent. I know what hard times are.
We, as humans need to change with the flow of life. It's like the rive becomes dry and no fish.
I once said on this forum that an easy life style will be the ruin of any nation.

Yes!
I credit my survival to dear Grandparents who were raised during the depression.
Their lessons light up my life daily. Struggling strengthens you. All trauma is transformational.
"what doesn't kill you"
Does make us all stronger.
That being said..
TBMC
Weakens. TV has ruined us all. It's why I only owned one a short time as an adult.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
With drug and mental illness today it's no surprise.
Throw in so many people buying a more expensive home than they should and the problem is bound to get bigger.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

What most of you that never been without shelter don't understand is that many States will give you food stamps to survive on. Many people will trade the food for cigs and alcohol , that is a fact.

Of course that's one of the major hussels..
You can buy food stamps worth twice what you pay for them.. your food is 50% off, the alcoholic with 2 kids gets alcohol and your taxes pay for it..

Anyway at the actual topic..

If you make 34,000$ a year which is like what 30,000 euros..

That puts you in the top 1% wealthiest people on earth..

I feel like a lot of you are selfish babies.

edit on 3-8-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

And many people are just poor, suffered an economic disaster, loss of employment, mentally ill, ptsd, etc, that is a fact!

Even the working middle class are just one paycheck away from homelessness. That is a fact!

www.marketwatch.com...
edit on 3-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
“For example, the number of people living on the street in L.A. has shot up 75 percent over the last 6 years. But of course L.A. is far from alone“

Trump has been pres for 18months

If you can’t live off of a 50k salary you have a spending problem not an earning problem. Ignorant people spend their whole paycheck on “things” because they’re stupid.

edit on 3-8-2018 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
“For example, the number of people living on the street in L.A. has shot up 75 percent over the last 6 years. But of course L.A. is far from alone“

Trump has been pres for 18months

Let me 'splain something to you.

The first 4 years of Obama's presidency was Bush's fault.
The last 4 years of Obama's presidency was Trump's fault.

Hope that clears everything up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join