It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Number Of Americans Living In Their Vehicles “Explodes”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sure is. You traded today for tomorrow. That's how the national debt works. Had to borrow nearly the largest sum ever to pay for tax cuts.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Wow, you almost managed to keep politics completely out of your thesis. That is fricken awesome.

So if this spans across all political parties and we have been growing poorer over the last 30+ years, maybe even starting around 1913, what do you think is happening?

Is printing money out of thin air causing this slow decent into madness? Why are houses so expensive to even manufacture anymore? Around our area (cheap area of USA) most builders need at least a selling price of $150,000 anymore just to break even, and that is for around 980 square feet one story with an unfinished basement. That same house in this area should be going for 105,000-120,000 max.

Why don't we see affordable housing without government input, something around 50,000 or 60,000? Why are building materials so high anymore. Prices of almost all necessities are getting out of reach anymore. How do we correct this?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Sure is. You traded today for tomorrow. That's how the national debt works. Had to borrow nearly the largest sum ever to pay for tax cuts.

Where were you under 8 years of Obama and the largest deficits in US history year after year?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Complaining constantly. Looks we have a new largest deficit however.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

this is why the construction trades have become so much less profitable, if it wasn't for government building including schools a lot of these trade union's would go belly up

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Complaining constantly. Looks we have a new largest deficit however.

How do you figure? Latest projects have us predicted to *maybe* pass a trillion in 2020... we posted trillion dollar deficits from 2009 to 2012, with our highest being over $1.4 Trillion. www.thebalance.com... what voodoo are you using to make the position that this years projected $800 Bil deficit somehow is greater a $1.4 Trillion deficit?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

In my area the trades get paid well. In fact in many places the lack of skilled labor caused the illegals to fill the labor voids. It's a natural predictable part of the market. This is why libertarians have been screaming for actual work visas that reflect actual real time labor voids.

I have a friend with a a farm equipment shipping business that couldn't fill 80k a year driving position because everyone went to college.

Such a mofo of a rats nest problem

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The QE vs a strong economy?

If we are ADDING a trillion or (800 billion) in a "strong economy". We have a serious problem.

The national debt to gdp is set to reach 1946 levels when the trade infrastructure was destroyed.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The QE vs a strong economy?

If we are ADDING a trillion or (800 billion) in a "strong economy". We have a serious problem.

The national debt to gdp is set to reach 1946 levels when the trade infrastructure was destroyed.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The economy isn't the federal budget, quite the opposite... the two run separate of each other, or should. Just because the economy is booming, doesn't mean the government should suddenly raise taxes. Government spending is lower than it was under Obama, but... as it should be, taxes are also lower than they were under Obama. I agree, we need to spend less at the federal level, however.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The economy and national debt are not apples and oranges. More like apples and apple seeds.

Spending is lower for now. We already have signs of stimulus (farmers bail out for tariffs) for fiscal policy decisions. Revenue is also lower. We ran a deficit in June which isn't normal. There is plenty to be weary of. Slicing some regulations and giving a tax break without planning on spending freezes sure doesn't make me want to brag about the economy.
edit on 3-8-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The Number Of Americans Living In Their Vehicles “Explodes”

Under the last president they were living in tents.

Now they're living in vehicles.

PROGRESS!

Go Trump!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

This is the plan. Keep the sheep busy and they tend to be two fatigued to think. Add just enough entertainment and narcissism and that just about does it. It's a simple, well documented theory. Keep the slave too busy and tired to form a revolt.

If you don't own your home, paid off and make over 100K or you don't don't make close to $200K you are lower middle class. Middle class was the class of home owners. A 30 year mortgage is far from true ownership. A 30 year mortgage for anyone making under 100k is a slave to the bank.

If you don't have the money to do the majority of things you want to do each year, trips, vacations, local entertainment. If planning one of those trips causes you to worru about your budget you are lower middle class.

Middle class is about freedom from debt and a more civilized approach to a schedule and appropriate time off each year. If we accept anything less for our middle class than we have lost. Our lower class. Mom and Dad McDonald's cashiers. If they both work they should be able to at least support a couple of children in appartment style living in even at minimum wage. And that should be considered 1 step from poverty. Right now we have accepted a level of poverty for skilled labour.

50K-75K If you have a nice house with a mortgage and 2 relatively decent cars. If you have a family with 2 kids and only that one income. It's not really the "American Middle Class Dream". In some areas I think $100K might make it's way into middle class. But for most of the country I would say 150K-200K is more likely to be in the true middle class.

I have a unique perspective having lived in various classes and having worked with various classes. But most people are completely out of touch with those in different income brackets.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

The middle class, in reality, is 200,000 dollars a year salary minimum.

The lower middle class is 35 thousand to about 180, 000 a year…the 20 thousand to 200 thousand is like a buffer zone between the lower middle class and actual middle class.

Man I like my lower middle class. I make less than 200k and I live in a 4700 sq ft house, large 3 car garage, cinema room, sauna, wet bar etc... My wife drives a 2016 Mercedes SUV, and I got a sport car... Kids go to college etc...Going on 3 Vacations this year to Mexico and a cruis and I drink 25 year old scotch...

Life is good at the bottom I say...
edit on 3-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I drink 25 year old scotch...

Only someone drinking Kool Aide could say you're not proof that the dream is alive and well once again.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

In my area the trades get paid well. In fact in many places the lack of skilled labor caused the illegals to fill the labor voids. It's a natural predictable part of the market. This is why libertarians have been screaming for actual work visas that reflect actual real time labor voids.

I have a friend with a a farm equipment shipping business that couldn't fill 80k a year driving position because everyone went to college.

Such a mofo of a rats nest problem

what the tradesmen who get paid and what the company who's paying them and employing them make are 2 totally different things

also those trades people wouldn't have a union if it wasn't for government funding

www.census.gov...

for perspective, looks like government makes up somewhere around %30 of the construction spending, most of that money goes to union contracts without that they wouldn't have a union. private industries can rarely afford to pay union wages and benefits
edit on 3-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

So what do you think? I understand our fiat is worth less with each passing year and obviously for the majority of us, wages haven't kept up with inflation. I am not hurting in today's world, but I can definitely say my fiat covers a lot less than it use to even 5 years ago.

I just had an hvac repair that needed a new fan motor & blade on an external unit from 1976. $870!!! I almost said # it and bought a window unit. But I guess with replacement costs being $4200-$4800 I should consider myself lucky.

How do we get housing costs down? Can this scenario ever correct without a major crash to realign reality?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Gotcha.

I agree, monetary policy affects us all. I haven’t a clue if the prez’s rhetoric will impact monetary policy...but he sure can put the squeeze on fiscal policy with signing into law tax cuts and using his ability to levy tariffs.

If it’s (widespread prosperity) an illusion and the economy isn’t as strong as indicated, I’ll be the first to say, I was fooled by the illusion.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

the dollar is worthless and pay isn't going up, regardless of what people think our current lifestyle and economic model is unsustainable period

edit on 3-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Perpetual vacation...must be nice eh?

Maybe they like not having to work for,a,living...

More jobs than people so what is their excuse right?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

All the taxes, social programs and especially ridiculous government spending has put the average American in a spot they just can't win

This is almost sacro-sanct, but the amount we spend on military/intelligence/federal agencies is out of control. The amount we spend keeping people afloat is out of control (on a federal level - those are great ideas for State programs however). Obama's bailouts to banks and bribes to Iran are despicable, especially when so many American struggle just to get by

Taking even more from Americans of any financial caste is not the answer. A massive reduction in spending is a good start. But the solution involves restoring government to its Constitutionally proscribed roles, and absolutely nothing more. Not even one cent more!

By further increasing the national debt and/or taxes, government is essentially selling American workers into a form of slavery. It is despicable, and makes every single libertarian bone in my body cry out in anguish.

The average American pays nearly 50% of their money to various taxes and social programs (those programs won't be around for the generation paying into them...) All I know is that the national debt more than DOUBLED under Obama - whatever he was doing was clearly completely wrong and backwards. The first step is undoing virtually every financial decision Obama made. Next is cutting the existing ridiculous levels of spending, including initiatives put forth by the current administration.
edit on 8/3/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join