It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Gunn fired as 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3' director after 'indefensible' tweets resurface

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Tell ya what, take that one line out of that post, then read it again. That's my response to your post.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

Inconsistent with Disney's values?

Really?

The same Disney that owned Weinsteins movie empire?

Yeah ................

Not that I care, but it sounds like the guy made tons of such jokes. It's not a one off comment.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Typically, in days past, if anyone were to get 'clearance' over something distasteful being said, it would be comedians. Now not even they get a pass.

People/groups who police the past via social media are a new-age NSA - their own worst enemy. I wonder how many people who are digging the garbage up have distasteful comments in their post-history...

Not to mention, we'd have pretty pathetic professional sports teams if athletes were held to the same standard. Hell, there were 2 stories in the past month alone about a 1st round NBA draft pick's twitter post & an MLB pitcher's SM post, respectively. They still have (high-paying) jobs.

It's all selective... just like people's hearing, memory, rage, etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Inconsistent with Disney's values?

Really?

The same Disney that owned Weinsteins movie empire?

Yeah ................

Not that I care, but it sounds like the guy made tons of such jokes. It's not a one off comment.

Read what I wrote again, that was Disneys excuse for firing him. My point was the same, they have no moral high ground.

And again, Comedians make far worse jokes on the regular basis, this guy was a provocative person, and this was 10 years ago, Im not the same person I was 10 years ago.

Not to mention there is absolutely NOTHING, NOTHING, in his background that would lead anyone to believe he actually believed any of this.

The right gets pissed off when the left gets someone fired for offhand comments they make, but then its OK when the right does it?

The hypocrisy is astounding. Again, those of us in the middle are sick and tired of the childish BS from both sides.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

imgur.com... i would not view these at work but here are some of his deleted tweets and you have to keep in mind he worked for Disney,he laughed when rosanne was fired and dug up old tweets him self on some conservative guy a while back months back
www.cosmicbooknews.com...

However, with the #metoo movement, James Gunn's old tweets from 2008-2011 were dug up, which reportedly was a result of Gunn's constant Twitter attacks on President Trump. Interestingly enough, in one tweet, James Gunn criticized Roseanne Barr for her recent behavior and lauded her removal from the series citing how it could negatively affect Disney.

he made jokes about raping the gay away (having tony stark rape the lesbian character to "turn her") being in nambla raping children and debating which under age character on the voice would be the most satisfying to rape......joking about people dying from aids ...not exactly stuff you can get away with working for Disney . guess live by the twitter sword die by the twitter sword

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I agree; but this is an indictment and a backlash against the left because they brought it on themselves. All-Star Milwaukee Brewer had his # torn up trending on Twitter from tweets from when he was 17 - surely he knew that as he was on the mound during the game he was being tweeted about from teammates and his performance suffered and now he has to endure the sensitivity training that all nasty bigots must do...
Thanks Liberals, you brought this on yourselves!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

The same Disney that has a sorted history of sexual imagery in their cartoons? Of sexism? Abuse of workers? Antisemitism, racism? It goes on and on.

They may be distasteful and gross, but should someone who has NOT broken any laws, hasnt hurt anyone, etc be fired?

The same people lauding his firing, supported Trumps "locker room talk" about violating women.

They hypocrisy is astounding.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: Pyle
Funny how these public tweets are something new to Disney now that the alt-right dug through them. Marvel/Disney hired Gunn because he was a former shock director and wanted a different take one of their franchises. Now that FOX NEWS is blasting them across the web Disney is "shocked" by the development and fired him.

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

Yeah the right is playing "Gotcha" because hes said provocative things about Trump

And the left leaning Disney, is pandering to their base by firing him for being "inappropriate"

This pic is of a Dead Constricter and a dead Cobra, one died from the venom and the other died from the constriction.

its the perfect analogy for our country at the moment.

Wow. Yeah, we've got to find our way out of this. When we elect a new leader, the number one thing for me will be
finding the person who can unify our country again. To hell with everything else. I don't care which party she/he affiliates with. We are a house divided, and soon to be two dead snakes.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

was more posting it to show the irony of criticizing her about a month before he got delt the same hand whats good for the goose is good for the gander apparently archive.is... link to the tweet

I wish some of these so-called defenders of liberty would start to understand what freedom of speech is AND isn’t. Roseanne is allowed to say whatever she wants. It doesn’t mean @ABCNetwork needs to continue funding her TV show if her words are considered abhorrent.

edit on 20-7-2018 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray
I agree; but this is an indictment and a backlash against the left because they brought it on themselves. All-Star Milwaukee Brewer had his # torn up trending on Twitter from tweets from when he was 17 - surely he knew that as he was on the mound during the game he was being tweeted about from teammates and his performance suffered and now he has to endure the sensitivity training that all nasty bigots must do...
Thanks Liberals, you brought this on yourselves!

It shouldnt matter, tit for tat serves no other purpose than to try and claim some moral highground that doesnt exist.

It needs to stop period, otherwise it will just get worse.

Eye for an eye leaves both people blind.

Both sides are destroying EVERYTHING because they want to play this back and forth, those cheering it on are just as guilty

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Agree to a point with a caveat.

WE have to be the people that unify our country.

US , the populace, no head of state will do that. 1. Its not in their interest. 2. we shouldnt be relying on other people to do it FOR us.

One of the biggest problem with this country is trying to elect heroes to FIX everything, when the burden of that falls on US, not a single person in power.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Self inflicted wound. Don't make tons of sick jokes about such topics.

Ah the good Ole days when people thought blurting out every thought to the Internet world was cool.

Good times. ........

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Ah the good Ole days when people thought blurting out every thought to the Internet world was cool.

Good times. ........

Its a festering wound and scab being picked at by both sides.

Those cheering it on , both sides are just as responsible.

You people have divided yourselves into tribes, and forgot we all live in the same house.

Instead you would rather burn the whole thing down and leave everyone homeless, to try and prove some moral high ground, than fix the roof, level the foundation, and get the plumbing working again so everyone has a decent place to stay.

If the founding fathers could see what yall have done with the Republic they gave us, they would send both sides to the woodshed.
edit on 20-7-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golden Rule

originally posted by: sine.nomine

I've always had an enormous problem with this internet past policing that happens now. People make mistakes, that's how we learn. People develop. If we can't do that, then the society we are building is going to be a stupid and subservient society. Nobody deserves to have their career ruined over offhand comments from a decade ago. Nobody.

Think while you can. Dare to try. Fail. Learn. Dare again. Think more.

Emplyoyers need to get their heads out of their collective ass.

It happens on this site too. One person's ATS poster history is examined by another and then that person is criticized for opinions or conclusions from say 10 years ago. Intelligence and understanding is a process. I have heard that some employers have requested a job applicant's primary school report,.

Sometimes its best to get banned every few years and start over..

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

Agree to a point with a caveat.

WE have to be the people that unify our country.

US , the populace, no head of state will do that. 1. Its not in their interest. 2. we shouldnt be relying on other people to do it FOR us.

One of the biggest problem with this country is trying to elect heroes to FIX everything, when the burden of that falls on US, not a single person in power.

I agree to a point, but politics has ripped us apart, and we will need a political leader's help in putting ourselves together again. I can think of a very few who could do it, but none of them are available. A unite-er will help, not someone who enjoys chaos and encourages disdain and contempt for the "other side".

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Disney glass house. Wasn't there some whispered and not so whispered accusations against Uncle Walt years ago. I seem to remember a few memes, jokes and parodies hinting at it.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Good times. ........

Its a festering wound and scab being picked at by both sides.

Those cheering it on , both sides are just as responsible.

You people have divided yourselves into tribes, and forgot we all live in the same house.

Instead you would rather burn the whole thing down and leave everyone homeless, to try and prove some moral high ground, than fix the roof, level the foundation, and get the plumbing working again so everyone has a decent place to stay.

If the founding fathers could see what yall have done with the Republic they gave us, they would send both sides to the woodshed.

I'd rather not live in a house with people who make such Unfunny jokes about such topics. Just my opinion.

I could give a rats ass about their political leanings. Bring them all out into the light.

He still has millions and will live a great life. He can even buy a chimpanzee.

If it were a one off comment, I'd give a pass. That's not the case.

Easy remedy for such things is to not do them in the first place.

I'll be curious to where this leads, if anywhere.
edit on 20-7-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I'd rather not live in a house with people who make such Unfunny jokes about such topics. Just my opinion.

I would rather live in a house with people who understand its ok to be stupid and not have your livelihood ruined because you were unfunny or crass. I would also rather remember our constitution which was put in place to protect free speech, even if we dont like it. You know, real conservative values. You know the Constitution, on which the house was built.

I could give a rats ass about their political leanings. Bring them all out into the light.

Apparently you do , because youll make excuses for one side and then lambaste the other because you find it funny just because you dont agree with them.

He still has millions and will live a great life.

Thats beyond the point.

If it were a one off comment, I'd give a pass. That's not the case. Easy remedy for such things is to not do them in the first place.

Im willing to bet we could go back into your past and find things that youve said you would have to defend yourself on that people would think are disgusting , that you might not necessarily believe.

Lets not pretend any of us are Saints.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Indeed. And a very wise person once said "we have to forgive each other for being young".
And also having bouts of stupidity.

I couldn't find what he said though? Do you have a link?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Disney has parted ways with director James Gunn after a number of what the studio called "indefensible" tweets he wrote years ago resurfaced. "The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement obtained by CNN.

Gunn had come under fire in recent days after his comments, which made references to pedophilia and molestation, came to light. On Thursday, Gunn acknowledged the attention his previous social media comments were getting in a series of tweets.

"Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I've developed as a person, so has my work and my humor," he wrote.

"It's not to say I'm better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it's shocking and trying to get a reaction are over."

Source

So Disney, in all its wisdom, fired a man for tweets he made 10 years ago, however much in jest.

A man who has SKYROCKETED, these films into classics.

Not a man who believed anything horrible, or actually did anything horrible, but because he made distasteful joking tweets.
Fired by a company whose past, is FAR FAR from clean, with accusations ranging from sexism and anti-semitism, to racism.

Both the left and the right need to stop this crap and stop gunning for people for NO reason just because they dont agree with them politically.
Youre not doing the country any favors, youre destroying lives, over NOTHING.

If i was the cast of this series, I would refuse to work until Disney brings him back, and put an end to this BS. As long as we LET it continue it will continue.

I am appalled and disgusted in what this country and her people have become

(post script, he was outed by a CONSERVATIVE news source, because he wasnt a Trump supporter)

My guess would be there is something else to the story and this is the cover for it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join