It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Oh "Trump Trump Trump, whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan" stop spitballing and actually look at the country you're talking about for a change. You just said above that tariffs are a bad idea with "high unemployment" and now you're reversing course on that and grousing about "voids in the labor market." Which is it? Which of your theories is bunk? Which will you sacrifice to save face here? Domestic free market tells us people presently out of the labor force will re-enter the market and fill those voids, further strengthening the economy. Tax loopholes have been addressed to a degree by this administration, but my God have the Dems ever fought against it happening! The problem was born over multiple presidencies, and I suspect it will take longer than 18 months to fix.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Except those of us who studied macroeconomics were calling for these changes years before Trump entered the scene talking about them. He's doing what Goldwater wanted done 60 years ago.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Oh "Trump Trump Trump, whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan" stop spitballing and actually look at the country you're talking about for a change. You just said above that tariffs are a bad idea with "high unemployment" and now you're reversing course on that and grousing about "voids in the labor market." Which is it? Which of your theories is bunk? Which will you sacrifice to save face here? Domestic free market tells us people presently out of the labor force will re-enter the market and fill those voids, further strengthening the economy. Tax loopholes have been addressed to a degree by this administration, but my God have the Dems ever fought against it happening! The problem was born over multiple presidencies, and I suspect it will take longer than 18 months to fix.

I said tariffs are a bad idea with high employment. My auto correct changed the word an I acknowledge this.

Just so you understand me. I am for a flat tax, low tariffs, and reasonably low business taxes.

I am also for creating labor shortage visa programs. Not ideological ones. Not oh we need a certain type of person usually highly educated.

Guess what when Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston boomed there was a massive shorage of labor. Guess who let all the illegals work?

Bush, Rick Perry, Greg Abbot...a Republican state legislature.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Trump is a trust fund baby. Not a genius. The man inherited his fortune. He didn't earn it

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Except those of us who studied macroeconomics were calling for these changes years before Trump entered the scene talking about them. He's doing what Goldwater wanted done 60 years ago.

Blah blah blah. I have studied macro economics. I just favor a free market than the government intervention. We have high employment and a decent cpi what is the problem?

Oh that's right it's the midterms. Have to waive some arms around.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: toysforadults
good, let's see what you're made of Canada, not worried

grow balls Americans stop cry babying every time someone makes a move

Interesting comment since your president stated that renegotiating NAFTA would be easy.

You, and Trump, will find Canada far more resilient then anticipated.

Canada would crumple overnight if the US cut them off from the Banks. And using the GPS system.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Tariffs HURT globalism by bringing prices down of local products and increasing foreign good costs, which any good nationalist should be happy to uphold.

Go Trump!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Tariffs HURT globalism by bringing prices down of local products and increasing foreign good costs, which any good nationalist should be happy to uphold.

Go Trump!

Total bs. They raise export (retaliation) and import prices. Not lower local prices. Cost does not change to be lower it increases by supply line increase.

You haven't a clue.
edit on 31-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Kind of in response to everybody...NAFTA's done nothing but screw over all of Canada, America and Mexico....after all these years of trade bull#tery....nobody's won but multinational corporations...canada get'a #ed over on it's raw materials..they get shipped to america, exported back, refined then sold in America, canada and globally, America gets #ed over in it's industry...it imports and exports raw materials ships it all to China then reimports goods, Mexico get's totally #ed with it's agriculture, it produces a # ton of food for cheap export while leaving it's population starving and at the mercy of gangs...

The only people that have won for the last twenty years of NAFTA are the international companies that operate in all three countries at various points in this convoluted distribution scheme.

Honestly...all three countries have their own strengths and weaknesses that the others compliment. There's no reason why an agreement couldn't be set up that plays to each country's strength...instead the whole thing is warped to ensure the companies running everything make money while the countries they're operating in get stripped of everything of value and sold off for pennies.

North America has enough resources and manpower to become totally sufficient from the rest of the world...instead we're forced into these bull# international games that benefit no one actually living in these countries.
edit on 31/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Go Trump!

Total bs. They raise export (retaliation) and import prices. Not lower local prices. Cost does not change to be lower it increases by supply line increase.

You haven't a clue.

No, he hasn't an agenda.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Go Trump!

You haven't a clue.

No, he hasn't an agenda.

A meaningless statement.

Good for you, you are for higher taxes and prices...at the expense of the consumer..

It's not rocket science. Like you say.

Yeah my agenda is to explain rudimentary economics.

Funny how trump made people for government intervention.
edit on 31-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Trump is just waiting for somebody to bribe him like he did the Chinese.

He's so corrupt it's out in the open he's for sale.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Go Trump!

Total bs. They raise export prices. Not lower local prices. Cost does not change it increases by supply line increase.

You haven't a clue.

Wrong! If we, before globalism, produced cranberries here in Wisconsin for mostly Wisconsinites and much of the nation, and export prices go up, and less are foreign purchased, there is a higher supply, which LOWERS prices for OUR nation.

Trade Wars are a great way to rebalance the global economy.

The USA doesn't exist for other nations to profit off of. It exists to serve the Americans.

Phuk globalism.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No foreign leader will buckle under to Trump simply because if they do they're finished politically in their own country.

Trump is so insanely self-centered he really thinks the leaders are going to buckle under to him.

What might happen is the whole world except Israel might just unite against America because of Trump’s utter insanity

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
And we see what happened to Goldwater

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Well said. Another example was the threatened Chinese soy tariff. If US soy sales drop internationally, other soy producers, increase their exports now at a higher price due to a lower world-wide supply. If that creates a shortage in their nation due to increased and more profitable exports, they import U.S. soy at the same price that we would have charged China. In fact they could buy our soy and then sell it to China at the higher world price.

All the while, as you say, US domestic prices drop.

Imported goods from China will go up in price, though. No getting around that one...unless we use the tariffs earned to subsidize the more expensive imported goods(?)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
No foreign leader will buckle under to Trump simply because if they do they're finished politically in their own country.

Trump is so insanely self-centered he really thinks the leaders are going to buckle under to him.

What might happen is the whole world except Israel might just unite against America because of Trump’s utter insanity

The insanity isn't Trump's.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Canadian Prime Minister JUSTIN TRUDEAU a LEAKER? YES! Get ready to reap what you have sewn, Mr. Trudeau.

I thought this was going to be an issue when Prime Minister Trudeau publicly told reporters the content of a private conversation between Vice-President Mike Pence and himself.

With incredibly bad diplomatic form, Justin from Canada has not only cemented the Steel and Aluminum tariffs as permanent – but Trudeau has likely destroyed any hope of the U.S. remaining in NAFTA.

Full Story: theconservativetreehouse.com...
edit on 6/1/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

So the U.S. imposes a 25% tarrif on steel and Canada retaliates with making up for it by imposing a bunch of tarrifs on U.S. goods to make up for it, and the same money goes round and round. How about Canada just sells it's steel to somebody else? Is the U.S. the only market for it?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I already pay much higher costs for American goods in Europe, What are they going to do add tariffs onto their tariffs?

When I had to get work done on my Wrangler I was told to order it online from an American store or I would pay double to go through the jeep dealership. I wanted to buy some wrangler jeans, 80-90 euro (on sale at an outlet store) here go to tractor supply in Florida and you can get them for less than 30 dollars.

Now I do not pretend to be an economic expert but something is certainly driving up the price of American goods in Europe.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It's the closest market for it, Less cost in shipping. Reply to Korath.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join