It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Oh my, how many times must we go through this before you guys understand how deals are made? What happened with the chinese tarriffs? Didn't canada already do this once, then suddenly they removed them and allowed us to sell some of our meat or dairy there? This is part of negotiation. Get over it. Running around like your hair is on fire every time this happens (and is later undone) is not a good look.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Oh my, how many times must we go through this before you guys understand how deals are made? What happened with the chinese tarriffs? Didn't canada already do this once, then suddenly they removed them and allowed us to sell some of our meat or dairy there? This is part of negotiation. Get over it. Running around like your hair is on fire every time this happens (and is later undone) is not a good look.

It's the media making them do it. I tried to explain to my own mother that this is no big deal and she lost her sh!t and called me a Trumpet.

Even Canada's government is to blame for reacting but the media is scaring Canadians into believing that our government is letting Trump push is around. Trump probably didn't even think we would care this much but the media called us pussies so we have to hit back even I if the first hit from the US was a wiff.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

The funny part is it seems everyone is fine with the Tariffs THEY have put on the US that have been in place for DECADES...lol some at 100%. Trump isn't doing this to be mean or destroy the economy, he sees totally one sided regulations that are against the US, and he wants to fix that.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

THIS!!

I try explaining this to people, seems no one understands how we've been taken advantage of.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

THIS!!

I try explaining this to people, seems no one understands how we've been taken advantage of.

In everything... We are like Daddy with a bunch of kids and even when the kids grow up daddy still foots all the bills.

edit on 3-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

THIS!!

In everything... We are like Daddy with a bunch of kids and even when the kids grow up daddy still foots all the bills.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

THIS!!

The "kids" see it differently. It's more like that egotistical neighbor that you like but can be a royal pain in the ass at times.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Who is "we"? Be specific.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

THIS!!

If you're Daddy, I'm heading to court for a parental divorce.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Tariffs and corporate income taxes were supposed to be the only funding for the U.S.. Yes tariffs protect American people, as well as American industries. The removal of tariffs in trade, especially under NAFTA/GAT, allowed the large corporations to move their factories to places where they essentially had slave labor forces, and the remaining American industries could not compete; and subsequently went out of business. The US needs to bring back its industrial base, without it we are not able to produce what we need to be self relent. This also undermines our National Security, our industry is how we won WWII, we out produced every other nation on earth.

Service industries are never a strong economy. They supplement the industrial base, there again, if you have a minimal industrial base, your overall economy is going to be weaker and have to rely on foreign tourist for your income.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimmley
Tariffs and corporate income taxes were supposed to be the only funding for the U.S.. Yes tariffs protect American people, as well as American industries. The removal of tariffs in trade, especially under NAFTA/GAT, allowed the large corporations to move their factories to places where they essentially had slave labor forces, and the remaining American industries could not compete; and subsequently went out of business. The US needs to bring back its industrial base, without it we are not able to produce what we need to be self relent. This also undermines our National Security, our industry is how we won WWII, we out produced every other nation on earth.

Service industries are never a strong economy. They supplement the industrial base, there again, if you have a minimal industrial base, your overall economy is going to be weaker and have to rely on foreign tourist for your income.

Other way around. It's not 1776 anymore. Service does not mean what you think it does.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

It doesn't matter if it is not 1776 anymore, that was the funding designed for by the founding fathers. The federal government is extremely bloated with a slew of depts that should never exist in the first place and should be at the state or local level. Point still stands.

I live in a state that is primarily service based, the economy is in shambles because of it, does not have the industries to sustain decent pay and work. 80% of the income to this state is service based, tourism, healthcare, restaurants, hospitality, you name it. It has gotten to the point that there are not enough industry based jobs in the state to support the service industries, because the wages are not great, and the cost of living is extremely high. - So yeah I do understand the service industry, it actually produces NOTHING. Side note, if the dollar tanks there will be no service industry, and to add to the fact that if there is no manufacturing to fall back on the US is toast.

Again tariffs protect the American economy.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimmley

Tariffs don't but that is OK we have different philosophy. I am more libertarian.

But the US is doing just fine. Low unemployment..a mixed economy will always be the best. The days of high employment through manufacturing are never coming back. Just how it is. We don't need as many people to operate the line anymore.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Tariffs do however work.

Example. If you want a vehicle, you can buy whatever you want. Without tariffs, you buy what ever you want at whatever the price is. If vehicle A) is made in the US and vehicle B) is foreign made and the vehicles are identical (just different manufactures), vehicle A) cost 30K to produce (with use 5K profit factored into it) built in the US (which supports US citizens for lively hood). Vehicle B) is made else where costs 15K to make and sells for 25K (all profit to the foreign company and employees). Now the company that produces vehicle B) does not have the labor costs, or other regulations imposed by various governmental agencies (EPA, etc) this allows them to undercut the American company in America, which leads to the companies having to layoff workers and close plants. Which vehicle do you think it will sell more? B) because consumers will buy what is comparable for cheaper (especially when you have limited amount of spendable earnings). With tariffs in place to protect auto manufactures, the American made vehicles will be cheaper, leading to more people purchasing American made companies and workers. That is how it protects American jobs. This also allows for and motivates entrepreneurs to create companies to fill in gaps with what people want, again creating more jobs (and better paying jobs than service industries). These manufacturing industries then spawn more and better paying service jobs, and the cycle continues. That is how you create a healthy and strong economy.

Let's not forget the fact that if there a nation catastrophe (CME, New Madrid earthquake, asteroid, etc), little lone another war on e the scale of WWII, how would the US be able to recover without the help of the rest of the world? Especially if they decided not to help? No thank you, the US needs to be self sufficient.

America will never be able to compete with countries who treat their citizens as a slave labor force (that in and of itself, should be enough for tariffs). American companies should not be allowed to be an American company if they do not manufacture their products in the US, and tariffs should be levied against them as well, even if they are "headquartered" in the US. That practice alone hurts the American workers.

Technology has made production cheaper, and more efficient, and yes this does equate to less workers needed to the same work as before, however this does open the door for more American companies to be created to fill the needs to manufacture the systems to help automate manufacturing base, as well as it opens the field for more skilled workers to work on the stated systems to ensure they are still functional. There again this STILL increases jobs and the economy.

The US has the resources, manpower, and the know how to actually be an independent and self sufficient nation, the only one that can in the world easily. The only ones these free trades acts have actually helped are the countries and corporations, not the US. There used to be a time (before NAFTA/GAT and other "free trade agreements") people would buy American before anything else out of pride, even if they were more expensive. This in itself spurred competition within American companies to creating better and cheaper priced products. Unfortunately do to American corporations being able to avoid any kind of trade barriers to make it unprofitable to do, they now export the vast majority of our manufacturing base elsewhere, eliminating good paying blue collar jobs and replacing them with lower paying service industry jobs. These jobs make it almost impossible to purchase the majority of big ticket products, because they are barely affording the basics.

That to me is not acceptable, this should not be acceptable to anyone, anywhere. "Free trade" only benefits multinational corporations no one else.

Now, the only exception I would agree with when in comes to tariffs is when it comes to raw materials with Canada. Other than that, tariffs on all manufactured goods.

So yes tariffs work. The tariffs also go to fund the federal government, and help reduce the deficit. (Do not even get me started on balanced budgets and taxes)
edit on 5/6/2018 by Grimmley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

NO CANADIAN WEED FOR AMERICA NOW!!!

edit on 7-6-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: added picture

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The underlying economic dynamic is that there is a world wide glut of steel right now.

Canada's surplus steel is actually made in China; just re-nominated as Canadian to circumvent existing WTO controls. The European(German) steel firms want to dump the excess world supply on the US market, crippling US production in the process. If they successfully kill off US steel manufacture, there will be better demand for their own product.

Trump is actually advocating a Keynesian market intervention (state tariffs) that have the net effect of raising global steel prices and reducing supply to back market-stable levels.

it is axiomatic that you don't have a trade war when there is genuine demand for the commodity in question. Trade wars are the market's way of reducing surplus and long-term increasing prices back to competitive levels. Just with extra flag-waving thrown in.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
The underlying economic dynamic is that there is a world wide glut of steel right now.

Canada's surplus steel is actually made in China; just re-nominated as Canadian to circumvent existing WTO controls. The European(German) steel firms want to dump the excess world supply on the US market, crippling US production in the process. If they successfully kill off US steel manufacture, there will be better demand for their own product.

Trump is actually advocating a Keynesian market intervention (state tariffs) that have the net effect of raising global steel prices and reducing supply to back market-stable levels.

it is axiomatic that you don't have a trade war when there is genuine demand for the commodity in question. Trade wars are the market's way of reducing surplus and long-term increasing prices back to competitive levels. Just with extra flag-waving thrown in.

Could you kindly provide a source for your assertion that steel from Canada is actually made in China, brought to Canada and then shipped as Canadian-made product . . . please and thanks.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join