It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: HanSolo31
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh ok. So because they make a few cars here I should welcome tariff's on Ford and Chevy and other American products ?

I'm not following the question here. I'm suggesting any recipient nation should "welcome" tariffs per se, I'm saying they're a part of a sound nationally protective fiscal policy. In the same vein, I wouldn't expect anyone to "welcome" income taxation... but accepting that it's not only needed, but needs to be applied to 100% of earners in some manner isn't the same as "welcoming" it. You have to break some eggs to make an ommlette.

Tariffs are a liberal isolationist policy not a free market policy. They are similar to labor unions in concept.

My lord folks tariffs are not a conservative policy.

I could care less who's 'policy' it is. Theat's why we elected Trump in the first place. Not being stuck in a political dogma. Rather selecting he appropriate solution no matter what the political source is.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Oh no, I'll have to pay more for my pancake syrup and that carbonated urine Molson. Damn that Casper Milquetoast Justin Trudeau.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: toysforadults
do we need to import or can we import?

Sorry, read that wrong.

We import what we don't make internally, and I don't see that changing any time soon. So, for certain types, we need to import.

Since we're no longer a manufacturing nation, what do we export?

Curious.

Food. The same people who will get screwed here. Or the rest of us will supplement their losses.

Mexico has rejected our corn, and is buying from overseas.

US grows rice. It's being rejected by some countries.

The rest of the world really doesn't need us.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I'll put money down that they'll retreat and we come out on top.

I am with you on that. Canada is not going to be hit hard with tarriffs from what I read, unless of course they start to increase the trade imbalance that Trump is trying to even out. I guess all the other countries that are taking our money through imbalances want to keep it that way. You see, money flows into their country the way it is. I doubt if they would even allow a trade imbalance like we have going on. I do not understand why our government ever allowed that in the first place, Most of Europe sells us way more than they buy from us, and if they do, the money seems to go to big corporations like Boeing and military industries. We the people seem to round about give our money to these few companies.
edit on 31-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

"Liberal isolationist" WTF does that even mean? Isolationist is not and never has been a liberal platform. As for trade protection and tariffs, are you suggesting Reagan wasn't a conservative? His trade policies increased tariffs and foreign trade controls the most of any president since Hoover. (another conservative Republican) Abe Lincoln said "Give us a strong protective tariff and we will have the mightiest nation on Earth" and he was a Republican. Goldwater voted against the Trade Expansion Act in 62... the Act passed and is why we are having this discussion, as it opened the door of Hell and allowed the Democrats to achieve Woodrow Wilson and FDR's stated dreams of global free trade.

You're double speaking this one, man. Global Free trade, as I already said, is a liberal neo-con ideology and has zero business in a conservative's platform. Never has, never will, despite what wannabes like Paul Ryan claim. It isn't the GOP's brainchild and it shouldn't be supported by them.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Well, that sentiment is mutual...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

And you belief being the only isolationist country on a tiny rock in a vast universe is smart?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

And you belief being the only isolationist country on a tiny rock in a vast universe is smart?

None of the countries that are claiming we are wrong with the trade imbalance are on the opposite side of the fence. They would not tolerate a trade imbalance to be happening to their country, they are benefitting vastly when we give our money to them.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: toysforadults
good, let's see what you're made of Canada, not worried

grow balls Americans stop cry babying every time someone makes a move

Interesting comment since your president stated that renegotiating NAFTA would be easy.

You, and Trump, will find Canada far more resilient then anticipated.

It is easy when someone actually tries, using all the tools available to them.

And I question the resiliency of Canada with Justin Castreau at the helm.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Unless you're one of those "alien invasion is a'comin paw" goofballs, what does the vastness of the universe have to offer with this conversation, Annee?

ETA: aside from that, did you realize that even if every one of Trump's proposed immigration controls, treaty revisions, trade protections, and economic controls was initiated, the USA would STILL be one of the easiest nations to emigrate to, obtain a work visa to, would still be the world's first on scene when an ally needed military or economic aid, and would still have the freest trade policy in the developed world? Much like a woman you wouldn't want to take home to meet mom, America's policies are far too loose. They need strengthening and the gripes of the world be damned at this point.
edit on 31-5-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

a reply to: rigel4 Actually that is incorrect. The United States is the ONLY nation in the world that can go at it on our own. The US has the resources, the military strength, and relative isolation to ignore the rest of the world and do our own thing. Even worst case scenario and the rest of the world decides to use military force against us, we could actually win a defensive war. No other nation on earth can actually say that and be able to pull it off. I am in great support of the US moving to an isolationist stance, considering everyone always bashes and or hates the US,except when they need something, which is usually military aid.

I'll quote myself from a previous reply to someone else. But the US is the ONLY nation on earth that CAN go about it on our own, we do not have to rely on other nations for our survival. Not for food, energy, medical, or militarily. If the US went into full isolationist mode, we could even defend ourselves against the rest of the world indefinably. So we do not "need" any other country, not very many countries can say that without our help. So yeah I am all for putting our country first and foremost, and our citizens before ANY other nation, including pulling all of our forces back to the US and our territories, build up are boarders and stop kowtowing to the rest of the world like a beggars. Make deals from a position of strength, and let the rest of the world deal with their own problems.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

"Liberal isolationist" WTF does that even mean? Isolationist is not and never has been a liberal platform. As for trade protection and tariffs, are you suggesting Reagan wasn't a conservative? His trade policies increased tariffs and foreign trade controls the most of any president since Hoover. (another conservative Republican) Abe Lincoln said "Give us a strong protective tariff and we will have the mightiest nation on Earth" and he was a Republican. Goldwater voted against the Trade Expansion Act in 62... the Act passed and is why we are having this discussion, as it opened the door of Hell and allowed the Democrats to achieve Woodrow Wilson and FDR's stated dreams of global free trade.

You're double speaking this one, man. Global Free trade, as I already said, is a liberal neo-con ideology and has zero business in a conservative's platform. Never has, never will, despite what wannabes like Paul Ryan claim. It isn't the GOP's brainchild and it shouldn't be supported by them.

I am talking about actual economics. And free trade. Global free trade was initiated by Nixon to control the cpi as he took us of the gold standard.

ReaGan was a neoconservative. Hoover was an idiot.

Tariffs are taxes. Plain and simple. They certainly don't need to be initiated when there is a strong economy and high unemployment.

Tariffs play well with Kenesian economics. They are not a free market strategy. They certainly don't follow Mises, Hyak, or Friedman.

You are talking about neoconservative crony capitalism. Not actual free market conservatism.

You are talking about culture not economics..

Yeahe you can rally some coal miners and some factory workers for the midterms until the breadbasket collapses or require tax payers to keep them from bankruptcy.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Oh ok. So because they make a few cars here I should welcome tariff's on Ford and Chevy and other American products ?

I'm not following the question here. I'm suggesting any recipient nation should "welcome" tariffs per se, I'm saying they're a part of a sound nationally protective fiscal policy. In the same vein, I wouldn't expect anyone to "welcome" income taxation... but accepting that it's not only needed, but needs to be applied to 100% of earners in some manner isn't the same as "welcoming" it. You have to break some eggs to make an ommlette.

Tariffs are a liberal isolationist policy not a free market policy. They are similar to labor unions in concept.

I could care less who's 'policy' it is. Theat's why we elected Trump in the first place. Not being stuck in a political dogma. Rather selecting he appropriate solution no matter what the political source is.

So taxes are good and the potential for the Midwest disaster in farming is worth the midterms?

Dude trump has said we have high employment.

Do we or not. Wtf would tariffs do but raise prices?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
What comes out of Canada ?
As long as it doesnt interfere with the bacon

2x4's and lumber. So housing cost.

Nah, a simple federal regulatory change opening up the domestic timber industry and eliminating the ridiculously strict and foolish roadblocks to fully benefit from the US' forestry resources solves that issue fully.

It's not so simple. Nor would it be a fast fix.

Unless of coarse we import labor.

Besides that is congresses job not the president.

Pacific Northwest has all the labor needed to quickly hit the ground running. Obama reinstated logging limits in the west and that action left a hell of a lot of skilled lumberjacks without jobs in the logging industry or even having to work in Canada under visas. Removal of those limits alongside a quick revision of the various agency approvals currently required to start cutting would pay dividends within 3 months.

No they don't. Not even close. Obama didn't create an import reliance on lumber. Prices did far before him. I have been a carpenter and woodworker for 25 years.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Hopefully we will get to see which one of us are right...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Unless you're one of those "alien invasion is a'comin paw" goofballs, what does the vastness of the universe have to offer with this conversation, Annee?

ETA: aside from that, did you realize that even if every one of Trump's proposed immigration controls, treaty revisions, trade protections, and economic controls was initiated, the USA would STILL be one of the easiest nations to emigrate to, obtain a work visa to, would still be the world's first on scene when an ally needed military or economic aid, and would still have the freest trade policy in the developed world? Much like a woman you wouldn't want to take home to meet mom, America's policies are far too loose. They need strengthening and the gripes of the world be damned at this point.

Do you also realize that trump has not accounted for the labor voids in farming, costruction, and food service? Not has he made employers accountable for the cheating of billions in taxes, ssi, workman's comp etc for higher in over 8 million illegals?

Man you are drinking the cool aid in gulps.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Trudeau had no choice, if he doesn't respond he will get branded as a weak political fool by Canadians.

They remember his dad never stood down at confrontations regardless of what it was.
Trump isn't dealing with China or North Korea here, he is dealing with an equal, the soldiers fought side by each in almost every major war. And who had America's back during the Iranian hostage crisis.
Hit Mexico sure their wage gap makes that ok.
But Trump hitting Canada shows him to be very foolish, and not understand the historic and equal partnership that has existed for over 150 years.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Hopefully we will get to see which one of us are right...

Right about what? Yanking a lever in the economy and expecting positive longterm results?

It would take a miracle in terms of probability for this to work. It's not impossible if everyone bows down and kisses his ring. Bit they don't need to. They have their own cards. There are checks and balances I our own system etc..

Trump has sold a simpleton explanation of economics to his followers. Just like Obama did with his radical agenda.

Both are absolutely naive presumptions IMO.

Good deeds and good intentions areally as far apart as heaven and hell

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

So taxes are good and the potential for the Midwest disaster in farming is worth the midterms?

It allows our industry to compete with foreign gov't subsidized products. Rather simple.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It allows our industry to compete with foreign gov't subsidized products. Rather simple.

Really yet we have high employment.

That makes sense to you?

My lord. What industry? We have high employment and cheap goods. Life is good. Time to do work on our social and infrastructure problems not create non existent ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join