It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: Tempter
Tariffs HURT globalism by bringing prices down of local products and increasing foreign good costs, which any good nationalist should be happy to uphold.

Go Trump!

Total bs. They raise export prices. Not lower local prices. Cost does not change it increases by supply line increase.

You haven't a clue.

Wrong! If we, before globalism, produced cranberries here in Wisconsin for mostly Wisconsinites and much of the nation, and export prices go up, and less are foreign purchased, there is a higher supply, which LOWERS prices for OUR nation.

Trade Wars are a great way to rebalance the global economy.

The USA doesn't exist for other nations to profit off of. It exists to serve the Americans.

Phuk globalism.

Total bs again. Comparing a time when people had far less, had one car, a 1000 sqdt house, etc is baloney. What are we going back to the gold standard as well? Maybe everyone can also get a factory job...

You may not like globalism but it created lower prices. Period. Including the price of cranberries.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
What is really interesting is that Canada decided to hit back strategically they targeted swing states with tariffs and key members of congress and the senate. With the dollar adding nearly 30% higher another 10% is going to drive sales way down.
These companies will be calling their political representatives.
For example they targeted Bernie Sanders state with a tariff on Maple syrup because they make their own anyways, so this helps Canadian manufactures.

Trump is a huge fool on this play that he thinks is helping Americans, it isn't.

link   
double
edit on 1-6-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

link   
double

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
double

wow what is wrong with ATS these days it's like there internet has been throttled back I don't have these problems with any other website I post too.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Tempter

Well said. Another example was the threatened Chinese soy tariff. If US soy sales drop internationally, other soy producers, increase their exports now at a higher price due to a lower world-wide supply. If that creates a shortage in their nation due to increased and more profitable exports, they import U.S. soy at the same price that we would have charged China. In fact they could buy our soy and then sell it to China at the higher world price.

All the while, as you say, US domestic prices drop.

Imported goods from China will go up in price, though. No getting around that one...unless we use the tariffs earned to subsidize the more expensive imported goods(?)

My lord you are clueless on this. Intervention means prices will go up everywhere.

Anyone who uses metal which is why literally nobody is for this but Donald trump and the people he has brain washed.

Trump is great at pointing out a problem and then making a moronic solution that is I'll conceived and an cultural pr stunt.

Can you explain how domestic prices will drop? Are employers going to pay less for labor and supply lines? Nope. The exact opposite.

Are you one of these people who think raising min wages all at once also increases wages?

Let me explain this simple concept. American wages are higher than almost anywhere in the world. This increases the cost of goods. Tariffs raise the prices of supply lines. This increases the cost of goods.

Using up our national resources for a problem that doesn't exist (in the way it's being addressed) is beyond stupid.

Guess what happens if wages go up? Prices increase. Guess what happens when raw material goes up prices increase.

The very people who support this ideological trade war are the ones who will suffer. While the plant owners will not. This is literally a making the 1 percent richer and the poor poorer strategy.
edit on 1-6-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Oh no, I'll have to pay more for my pancake syrup and that carbonated urine Molson. Damn that Casper Milquetoast Justin Trudeau.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the cost of all these shenanigans to the American tourist industry. I noticed that New York's Finger Lakes region had a 4-page spread in the Toronto Star this past weekend. I'm guessing that they are hurting because a lot of Canadians who normally headed south for their vacations are choosing to spend their tourist bux elsewhere. I was talking to a friend the other day who had chosen a Rhine River cruise because she has she has vowed not to spend any money on U.S. visits until Trump is gone. Another spent a month in a DR resort rather than their normal Florida winter rental for the same reason. America used to be a friendly place. Now, not so much. Sure...piss off Canadians...but it's not just the government who retaliates.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
When the industry you claim to protect doesn't even want the tariffs on Canada and says it's a really bad idea.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Oh no, I'll have to pay more for my pancake syrup and that carbonated urine Molson. Damn that Casper Milquetoast Justin Trudeau.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the cost of all these shenanigans to the American tourist industry. I noticed that New York's Finger Lakes region had a 4-page spread in the Toronto Star this past weekend. I'm guessing that they are hurting because a lot of Canadians who normally headed south for their vacations are choosing to spend their tourist bux elsewhere. I was talking to a friend the other day who had chosen a Rhine River cruise because she has she has vowed not to spend any money on U.S. visits until Trump is gone. Another spent a month in a DR resort rather than their normal Florida winter rental for the same reason. America used to be a friendly place. Now, not so much. Sure...piss off Canadians...but it's not just the government who retaliates.

Not too worried. Canadian tourism was up 14.8% last year between Jan and April despite Trump and a weakening dollar.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well said. Another example was the threatened Chinese soy tariff. If US soy sales drop internationally, other soy producers, increase their exports now at a higher price due to a lower world-wide supply. If that creates a shortage in their nation due to increased and more profitable exports, they import U.S. soy at the same price that we would have charged China. In fact they could buy our soy and then sell it to China at the higher world price.

Imported goods from China will go up in price, though. No getting around that one...unless we use the tariffs earned to subsidize the more expensive imported goods(?)

My lord you are clueless on this. Intervention means prices will go up everywhere.

Anyone who uses metal which is why literally nobody is for this but Donald trump and the people he has brain washed.

Trump is great at pointing out a problem and then making a moronic solution that is I'll conceived and an cultural pr stunt.

Can you explain how domestic prices will drop? Are employers going to pay less for labor and supply lines? Nope. The exact opposite.

Are you one of these people who think raising min wages all at once also increases wages?

Let me explain this simple concept. American wages are higher than almost anywhere in the world. This increases the cost of goods. Tariffs raise the prices of supply lines. This increases the cost of goods.

Using up our national resources for a problem that doesn't exist (in the way it's being addressed) is beyond stupid.

Guess what happens if wages go up? Prices increase. Guess what happens when raw material goes up prices increase.

The very people who support this ideological trade war are the ones who will suffer. While the plant owners will not. This is literally a making the 1 percent richer and the poor poorer strategy.

I tire of your diatribe. I looks to me it's you who are clueless. Yet, I know better than that based on your other posts on different subjects. Therefore it can only be agenda driven. Be it personal or political.

Obviously, a reduction of supply increase prices. Yet that reduction is only in the direction of those particular tariffs. You must understand that. Yes?

That supply hasn't gone away, merely and arbitrarily overpriced in one or another nation. That,, PER FORCE, creates a surplus of those same goods in other markets. Be it domestically or merely nations outside the tariff loop. Increased supply lowers prices. Unarguable, yes?

Between Canada and the U.S. that doesn't hold true as much as say a China-U.S. spat would. That trading partnership is far more natural and even between Canada and the U.S., frankly, than the China-U.S. issue is.

There would be price increase, at least indirectly, as most of the trade is resource based or base metals and the like. But not like an immediate price increase on the finished products that China exports to the U.S.. Both steel and aluminum costs are a partial component in the manufacturing process and that increase in cost can be covered to a large degree as it's only one component in the manufacturing process. Yes, more in some than others, obviously.

NAFTA has to go. Period. Apparently, Canada benefits from NAFTA more than I realized, otherwise, the negotiations would be farther along than they are.

Canada has made their own mess by relying on a resource based economy and failing to further develop secondary and tertiary industry. Oil prices crashed, their bread and butter, and any advantage NAFTA gives them, especially back in Ontario and Quebec, must be hung onto at all costs.

Sorry, Canada, but you screwed up.

Trump vs Trudeau? A businessman vs a dilettante? No contest.
edit on 1-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Your right. It's not just the government that retaliates. Guess what? That's a two way street. So go ahead, Mr Trudeau supporter, piss off Americans....

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
All the good Obama has done will be unraveled by Trump, just like every time a republican gets in they ruin what little good a democrat did

This is Obama’s economy, not Trump’s

Trump’s acts likely will destroy the good economy Obama left just as George Bush destroyed the good economy Bill Clinton left.

These tariffs and other stupid economic acts will and are part of the beginning of the destruction of the US and maybe world economy Trump will be responsible for.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
All the good Obama has done will be unraveled by Trump, just like every time a republican gets in they ruin what little good a democrat did

This is Obama’s economy, not Trump’s

Trump’s acts likely will destroy the good economy Obama left just as George Bush destroyed the good economy Bill Clinton left.

These tariffs and other stupid economic acts will and are part of the beginning of the destruction of the US and maybe world economy Trump will be responsible for.

I agree with you.

I'm kind of a Centrist - - and try to find the logic in everything.

But, you're right. It's a strange swinging pendulum.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Your right. It's not just the government that retaliates. Guess what? That's a two way street. So go ahead, Mr Trudeau supporter, piss off Americans....

Well that doesn't take much for many. Just say "Goodday eh."

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

So you either bought them at the high tariff or bought direct from an American retailer... Hmmm, well now, that would seem to be anecdotal evidence that tariffs work out pretty damn well where the USA is concerned, would it not?

Americans tend to be a bit different than that. There aren't many foreign brands that are "must haves" in this country like American brands are in Europe. Meaning if the price of imports gets too high, someone will start a domestic company to produce the same thing here, employing Americans in the process. Tariffs work, we need more, many, many more applied across the entire spectrum of imported products. Give us high tariffs and you'll give the world an America which cannot be equaled in the global economy, period.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Irishhaf

So you either bought them at the high tariff or bought direct from an American retailer... Hmmm, well now, that would seem to be anecdotal evidence that tariffs work out pretty damn well where the USA is concerned, would it not?

Americans tend to be a bit different than that. There aren't many foreign brands that are "must haves" in this country like American brands are in Europe. Meaning if the price of imports gets too high, someone will start a domestic company to produce the same thing here, employing Americans in the process. Tariffs work, we need more, many, many more applied across the entire spectrum of imported products. Give us high tariffs and you'll give the world an America which cannot be equaled in the global economy, period.

Tariffs do work. They lower competition and raise prices.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I tire of your diatribe. I looks to me it's you who are clueless. Yet, I know better than that based on your other posts on different subjects. Therefore it can only be agenda driven. Be it personal or political.

Obviously, a reduction of supply increase prices. Yet that reduction is only in the direction of those particular tariffs. You must understand that. Yes?

That supply hasn't gone away, merely and arbitrarily overpriced in one or another nation. That,, PER FORCE, creates a surplus of those same goods in other markets. Be it domestically or merely nations outside the tariff loop. Increased supply lowers prices. Unarguable, yes?

Between Canada and the U.S. that doesn't hold true as much as say a China-U.S. spat would. That trading partnership is far more natural and even between Canada and the U.S., frankly, than the China-U.S. issue is.

There would be price increase, at least indirectly, as most of the trade is resource based or base metals and the like. But not like an immediate price increase on the finished products that China exports to the U.S.. Both steel and aluminum costs are a partial component in the manufacturing process and that increase in cost can be covered to a large degree as it's only one component in the manufacturing process. Yes, more in some than others, obviously.

NAFTA has to go. Period. Apparently, Canada benefits from NAFTA more than I realized, otherwise, the negotiations would be farther along than they are.

Canada has made their own mess by relying on a resource based economy and failing to further develop secondary and tertiary industry. Oil prices crashed, their bread and butter, and any advantage NAFTA gives them, especially back in Ontario and Quebec, must be hung onto at all costs.

Sorry, Canada, but you screwed up.

Trump vs Trudeau? A businessman vs a dilettante? No contest.

Trump inherited his fortune and is a celebrity PR man. His business didn't do well until he stopped running them.

Could you find some examples from industry leaders and economists who think trade wars are positive?

They are taxation and hurt tell poor the most.
edit on 1-6-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Right back at you....

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yup. I can see the reasoning Trump employed in this decision. He satisfying his base and trying to lure other voters by attempting to look tough on other countries. Too soon imo. If he did this next year or a year and a half later the fallout would hit the American public after the 2020 election. When people end up paying $1000 more for a car that's going to lower sales. Michigan isn't going to like that. Same with production in states like Ohio and Penn. Those states will swing back to Dem. There won't be a Hillary around to keep liberal and centrist votes away. Or vote Rep.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Right back at you....

Sorry. That tit for tat argument that ya'll use doesn't work in this scenario. We like everyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join