It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
One in five women (and only one in 71 men) will be raped at some point in their lives

I'm offended that you marginalize male rape by adding the qualifier "only" as if it's of no concern.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Oh, yay! I offended someone!

Is this like when white people get offended when they talk about racism towards them and are told it doesn't matter or count?
edit on 6/1/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Oh, yay! I offended someone!

Would that make you a *snip* like Ivanka?
edit on 6/1/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Sure.

I was kidnapped, raped, and the man who attacked me tried to hang from a tree with an extension cord, when I was 15. Call me a *snip*. I don't care.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
COMING SOON TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU. . . . . .

"The Offengers; Dimfinity Wars"

Rated X 'cause it might. . . well. . . you know. . . . offend.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Grambler

And some of those same types of people cheered on samantha bee's comment as something great, and she got an award!

Her award wasn't for her use of the c-word, it was for her continuing commentary, and by the way, Roseanne has plenty of awards too. Sam B's commentary on Ivanka was spot on, even if the c-word part was offensive. If she had called Ivanka a "feckless dick" we'd be fine. Chalk it up to girls being girls and locker room talk.

Sure I will.

I was not offended by it, and actually chuckled.

Chalk what roseanne said up to locker room talk as well.

Oh wait, for some reason that offense is worse!

Oooooh, she said that? Maybe CNN will spend 2 days repeating it over and over like they did with s**thole.

What bothers me is the use of the word "feckless." Who says that!? It's not natural speech. We'll probably start hearing it everywhere now. I know what it means but it still sounds kind of dirty somehow.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I honestly don't see how c!nt ties into rape. I've never gotten the idea of rape when someone said, "c!nt". Just like I don't picture rape if someone calls someone a d!ck or as$hole.

Rape is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that women have been oppressed by men throughput history. However, I i just don't see the connection between that and "c!nt". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

I honestly don't see how 'Planet of the Apes' ties into racism. I have never gotten the idea of racism when I watch the Planet of the Apes movies, just like I don't picture racism when I hear 'Wizard of Oz' or 'Jurassic Park.'

Racism is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that black people have been oppressed by white people. However, I just don't see the connection between that and "Planet of the Apes". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

Apes are below humans on the so called evolutionary scale, and so calling a black person that is relegating them to be lower or inferior from human. People have compared white people and other races to apes before as well, but it is usually the media or someone looking for personal PR exposure to come along and plaster these comparisons up for the world to see which is the real crime, rather than just letting it remain a joke. This is the same as tossing a clawed kitty cat on someone to watch it claw the heck out of them.

What the MSM does with these kinds of memes is where the real crime is. They are that clawed cat, but they throw themselves on their chosen "victim" so they can make themselves appear holy and pure while watching people destroy themselves.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Well, I'm glad that you're a strong independent woman who is a survivor that wouldn't dream about marginalizing others' similarly horrifying experiences, or one who would pander the "victim card".

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Well, I'm glad that you're a strong independent woman who is a survivor that wouldn't dream about marginalizing others' horrifying experiences, or pandering the victim card.

lol.

Well, at least I am not a white Democrat expIoiting the black American experience to score cheap political points.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Well, at least I am not a white Democrat expIoiting the black American experience to score cheap political points.

I'm glad we can find some positive common ground

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

One in five women (and only one in 71 men) will be raped at some point in their lives

Sure.

I was kidnapped, raped, and the man who attacked me tried to hang from a tree with an extension cord, when I was 15. Call me a *snip*. I don't care.

I'm not sure how your tragic personal experience should serve to minimalism the personal impact upon a man who was raped.

Sure, more women than men are raped, but that doesn't mean a man who was raped has suffered any less than a woman who was raped.

edit on 2018/6/1 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: blueman12

I honestly don't see how c!nt ties into rape. I've never gotten the idea of rape when someone said, "c!nt". Just like I don't picture rape if someone calls someone a d!ck or as$hole.

Rape is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that women have been oppressed by men throughput history. However, I i just don't see the connection between that and "c!nt". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

I honestly don't see how 'Planet of the Apes' ties into racism. I have never gotten the idea of racism when I watch the Planet of the Apes movies, just like I don't picture racism when I hear 'Wizard of Oz' or 'Jurassic Park.'

Racism is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that black people have been oppressed by white people. However, I just don't see the connection between that and "Planet of the Apes". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

Apes are below humans on the so called evolutionary scale, and so calling a black person that is relegating them to be lower or inferior from human. People have compared white people and other races to apes before as well, but it is usually the media or someone looking for personal PR exposure to come along and plaster these comparisons up for the world to see which is the real crime, rather than just letting it remain a joke. This is the same as tossing a clawed kitty cat on someone to watch it claw the heck out of them.

What the MSM does with these kinds of memes is where the real crime is. They are that clawed cat, but they throw themselves on their chosen "victim" so they can make themselves appear holy and pure while watching people destroy themselves.

Planet of the Apes:

Complex sociological themes run through this science-fiction classic about three astronauts marooned on a futuristic planet where apes rule and humans are slaves.

I don't know where you are getting that the apes in that movie are inferior to humans. You see what you want to see.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Sure.

You've mentioned this before, but this time in such detail it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry. I hope the sick bastard is still in prison. Shoot. I'm so sorry. (still crying)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

Sure.

I'm not sure how your tragic personal experience should serve to minimalism the personal impact upon a man who was raped.

Sure, more women than men are raped, but that doesn't mean a man who was raped has suffered any less than a woman who was raped.

I was noting the vast difference in stats. But...go ahead...do your thing where you insist you know what's in everyone's heart.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to make you sad. It was a long time ago. He did go to prison, although he was released 20 years ago, now.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

do your thing where you insist you know what's in everyone's heart.

What's in most hearts is that rape is abhorrent and repulsive regardless of the victim's sex.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Sure.

I don't think MME is trying to minimize the impact of rape on anyone. She's just putting the stats out there for people to see. I'm sure MME knows far more about the impact rape has on a person (man or woman) than those of us that haven't had that unfortunate experience.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to make you sad. It was a long time ago. He did go to prison, although he was released 20 years ago, now.

And here you are, trying to comfort me. I'm not a mean person, but honestly I hope he got the # raped out of him in prison.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Sure.

I was noting the vast difference in stats. But...go ahead...do your thing where you insist you know what's in everyone's heart.

I agree (and have said so in my posts) that the use of the c-word to describe a woman is dehumanizing.

And I agree that the problem of rape is much more prevalent against women than it is against men. However, I don't understand what your personal story (as tragic as it is) has to do with the those numbers slanted far far towards woman victims than male victims

edit on 2018/6/1 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Oh it l;ooks like Samantha is still recieving her award tonight!

But good news, the Television Academy that is giving her the award for "advancing social change" has found a way to solve the problem.

They are banning the media from the event!

Reporters were barred from entering a Television Academy reception for an event honoring TBS late night host Samantha Bee on Thursday, the same day she faced a firestorm in the media for using a slur to refer to first daughter Ivanka Trump.

A spokesperson for the organization told The Hollywood Reporter and other media outlets that press would not be allowed to enter the reception ahead of the awards ceremony "as a result of today's events involving Samantha B," according to the Reporter.

thehill.com...

Absolutely hilarious!

OK....now that's funny! I don't care who you are!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join