It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

There are no racist connotations to what she said. You are comparing trash talking to racism.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

a reply to: redmage

Sure.

I was kidnapped, raped, and the man who attacked me tried to hang from a tree with an extension cord, when I was 15. Call me a *snip*. I don't care.

I'm not sure how your tragic personal experience should serve to minimalism the personal impact upon a man who was raped.

Sure, more women than men are raped, but that doesn't mean a man who was raped has suffered any less than a woman who was raped.

I was noting the vast difference in stats. But...go ahead...do your thing where you insist you know what's in everyone's heart.

I agree (and have said so in my posts) that the use of the c-word to describe a woman is dehumanizing.

And I agree that the problem of rape is much more prevalent against women than it is against men. However, I don't understand what your personal story (as tragic as it is) has to do with the those numbers slanted far far towards woman victims than male victims

Her personal story shows that she knows what everyone of those people that have been reduced to a statistic are going through.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
There seems to be a double standard with how someone seemingly on the left in these areas can get away with saying far more taan people seemingly on the right.

like trump? oh, the consequences he's faced for all the vile things he's said...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

There are no racist connotations to what she said. You are comparing trash talking to racism.

Trash talking? Let's call it what it really is. It's a word used to reduce a woman or women to something less than human. Reducing women to the sub human level is no less offensive than reducing blacks to the sub human level. Rosanne was wrong and I had no problems with her being fired. Whether Samantha Bee is fired is up to her employer and I have no problem either way with that. But let's not pretend like this was just 'trash talk'.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
imo, it's different if it's a woman who says it.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
Trash talking? Let's call it what it really is. It's a word used to reduce a woman or women to something less than human. Reducing women to the sub human level is no less offensive than reducing blacks to the sub human level. Rosanne was wrong and I had no problems with her being fired. Whether Samantha Bee is fired is up to her employer and I have no problem either way with that. But let's not pretend like this was just 'trash talk'.

For better or worse, "trash talk" is the current consensus when it comes to name calling among "identity peers".

Bee referring to Ivanka as a *snip* is no different than the countless rappers referring to their peers as "bitch ass n-bombs", and no one is losing record deals over it.

Currently, again for better or worse, it's only really considered an issue when one crosses "identity peer" lines with disparaging remarks because that's when it's viewed as oppressive.
edit on 6/1/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
imo, it's different if it's a woman who says it.

Yes, it's different if a woman says it. IMO it's worse because a woman knows exactly how demeaning the word is.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Where is the fcc 2 of those words are not supposed to be used on tv. Yes it is hypocrisy remember the horrific comments that old hag joy behar said about a 10 year old child did Disney cancel the veiw . Did they fire behar no.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
No one should ever use that word in reference to any woman. It's despicable.
She should be fired.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Very true. I'm glad you pointed that out. I was thinking the same but you put it into words far better than I could.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

They should both have their tongues ripped out. They're not responsible enough to be allowed to speak in public.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I see Samantha triggered you guys. Bwahahahaha.....

See how stupid that is?

I don't think CBS is producing her show. I think they've picked it up from cable. Here it's on the Comedy Network. So probably on Comedy Central down south. That said CBS could drop her if they wish. I watched a few shows. It's just vayng ways to bash Trump. It got old really quickly. Hell I don't watch any late night anymore. There's no variety. Irritating as hell watch say this show and then the Daily Show and the same "jokes" are done on each with slightly differing words.

BTW Sam is Canadian if anyone cares.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Sure.

I was kidnapped, raped, and the man who attacked me tried to hang from a tree with an extension cord, when I was 15. Call me a *snip*. I don't care.

I'm not sure how your tragic personal experience should serve to minimalism the personal impact upon a man who was raped.

Sure, more women than men are raped, but that doesn't mean a man who was raped has suffered any less than a woman who was raped.

I was noting the vast difference in stats. But...go ahead...do your thing where you insist you know what's in everyone's heart.

I agree (and have said so in my posts) that the use of the c-word to describe a woman is dehumanizing.

And I agree that the problem of rape is much more prevalent against women than it is against men. However, I don't understand what your personal story (as tragic as it is) has to do with the those numbers slanted far far towards woman victims than male victims

Her personal story shows that she knows what everyone of those people that have been reduced to a statistic are going through.

That's fair. But then her tragic experience would serve to illustrate the horrors of rape in general.

However, it does not serve to explain the use of the word "only" when describing male victims of rape, as in "one in five women, but only one in 71 men"...and it was that question of the use of the word "only" to which her response about her heart-breaking experience was directed.

The issue is rape in general. Yes, there are far more female victims of rape than reported male victims, but the lower number of reported male victims does NOT mean this it is just a "male or female" problem. It is a human problem.

edit on 2018/6/1 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

She has already stated that she was giving the stats to show higher incidence of rape of women. I sincerely doubt she is advocating for more men to be raped, considering the fact that she knows from personal experience what it's like. I think we should drop it since it is in essence derailing the thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

She has already stated that she was giving the stats to show higher incidence of rape of women. I sincerely doubt she is advocating for more men to be raped, considering the fact that she knows from personal experience what it's like.

She also said...

Is this like when white people get offended when they talk about racism towards them and are told it doesn't matter or count?

No one claimed that she was advocating for more men to be raped. The issue was her overt marginalization of male victims.

Now, let's all agree to try and keep Grambler's thread back on the topic of Bee and Rosie.
edit on 6/1/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Trump doesn't get bent out of shape if someone verbally attacks him. But you mess with his family? BOOM!
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

She has already stated that she was giving the stats to show higher incidence of rape of women. I sincerely doubt she is advocating for more men to be raped, considering the fact that she knows from personal experience what it's like.

She also said...

Is this like when white people get offended when they talk about racism towards them and are told it doesn't matter or count?

No one claimed that she was advocating for more men to be raped. The issue was her overt marginalization of male victims.

Now, let's all agree to try and keep Grambler's thread back on the topic of Bee and Rosie.

Overt marginalization of male victims? No, I was pointing out how a lot more men DON'T get raped not marginalizing the ones who do.

NOW, let's all agree to try and keep Grambler's thread back on the topic of Bee and Rosie.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Sure.

That's fair. But then her tragic experience would serve to illustrate the horrors of rape in general.

However, it does not serve to explain the use of the word "only" when describing male victims of rape, as in "one in five women, but only one in 71 men"...and it was that question of the use of the word "only" to which her response about her heart-breaking experience was directed.

The issue is rape in general. Yes, there are far more female victims of rape than reported male victims, but the lower number of reported male victims does NOT mean this it is just a "male or female" problem. It is a human problem.

Do you care about the many white people who feel marginalized by overt racism?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

This is tiresome.

Ok fine, I submit.

We now are in agreement there is no such thing as s exist language.

Great!

I assume you will be condemning every woman that now says she has a problem with what they consider sexist language

I look forward to collaborating with you on that!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Trump doesn't get bent out of shape if someone verbally attacks him.

Wait... what?!?!?!

There's no way I read that correctly.

Are you referring to Melania Trump? Maybe Barron Trump?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join