It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010
a reply to: wheresthebody

Im more concerned with the hypocrisy of the left.

Remember Ted Danson?

This is blackface

Note Kimmel's lack of cartoonish white "lips" that characterize "blackface".

Kimmel did a Karl Malone impression, and a good one at that. Your overreaching and overly delicate sensitivity is what's commonly referred to as "being a snowflake". So preaching about hypocrisy should be the least of your concerns right about now.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
a reply to: Grambler

You seem determined to be offended...

You left/right people are all the same.

I think his point is that he wasn't offended by Samantha Bee, but rather is making a commentary about the present social-political climate in which OTHER PEOPLE think that what Samantha Bee said is fine, while at the same time they want Roseanne fired.

The problem is either that kind of speech should or should not be tolerated (and Gambler seems to think it SHOULD be tolerated, and neither Bee NOR Roseanne should be fired), but it is hypocritical to base that tolerance on a person's own personal biases for or against Samantha Bee and Roseanne.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Fair enough, sorry for being a jerk.

I'm just so sick of everyone looking for reasons to be offended because of what the right/left did, it's so f%^&ing stupid.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

Still not the same as a white person insulting a black person based on color of skin.

Maybe I'm uninformed, but what is the history of oppression behind the word "c!nt"? I've heard women using it as an insult, like calling someone an a-hole, but never seen someone use it as a reference for dehumanization. You know.. like calling black ppl apes..

edit on 1-6-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: redmage

No.

This is all so much fake outrage calculated to get people who are not politically advantageous removed from the public sphere.

So you think all the outrage over Bee's comment is calculated and fake? There are certainly calls for her to be removed from the public sphere (not referring to the OP).

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: six67seven
The left is uber sensitive (and blind to their hypocrisy) and they control most of what people consume, especially compared to the conservative / "right wing" voice.

So naturally, anyone on the right that steps over the left's sensitivity threshold will get significantly more heat than the person on the left who does it.

It's by design. I appreciate you continually trying to implement some sort of change and common sense by exposing the double standard throughout our society, but (as you know) we don't get to control the narrative and people are ... well, not stupid, just willfully ignorant.

That said, Preach on!

I beg to differ.

The left is not blind to their hypocrisy at all. They KNOW they are hypocrites and not only are they fine with that, they revel in it.

To them it is a form of power... something they can use to get away with whatever they want to in a polite society.

An opinion....

Well posted
Basket of deplorables and all

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Fair enough, sorry for being a jerk.

I'm just so sick of everyone looking for reasons to be offended because of what the right/left did, it's so f%^&ing stupid.

No need for apology, I wasnt offended.

I am right there with you.

I repeatedly called out the right for wanting that shakespeare play where the character looked like trump was killed to be shut down, or wanted kathy griffin to be fired for her picture.

People get offended? SO what, change the channel!

But to set up seperate rules for how some offense is allowed, and others are not is outrageous and childish.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: redmage

No.

This is all so much fake outrage calculated to get people who are not politically advantageous removed from the public sphere.

So you think all the outrage over Bee's comment is calculated and fake? There are certainly calls for her to be removed from the public sphere (not referring to the OP).

In my personal opinion, yes.

Just like the outrage over roseannes comments were largely fake.

Its a power struggle.

People are upset roseanne got canned, and so they see bee do something comparable, and they want their pound of flesh as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

And some of those same types of people cheered on samantha bee's comment as something great, and she got an award!

Her award wasn't for her use of the c-word, it was for her continuing commentary, and by the way, Roseanne has plenty of awards too. Sam B's commentary on Ivanka was spot on, even if the c-word part was offensive. If she had called Ivanka a "feckless dick" we'd be fine. Chalk it up to girls being girls and locker room talk.

edit on 1-6-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

You seem determined to be offended...

You left/right people are all the same.

I think his point is that he wasn't offended by Samantha Bee, but rather is making a commentary about the present social-political climate in which OTHER PEOPLE think that what Samantha Bee said is fine, while at the same time they want Roseanne fired.

The problem is either that kind of speech should or should not be tolerated (and Gambler seems to think it SHOULD be tolerated, and neither Bee NOR Roseanne should be fired), but it is hypocritical to base that tolerance on a person's own personal biases for or against Samantha Bee and Roseanne.

Yes this is exactly it!

Thanks for saying it better than I could!

link   

Well, Bee had little to no outrage. Rosanne caused a huge stir. ABC saw the pot brewing and ran away.

It comes down to money when it comes to firing. In either case, who cares? Much worse things going on.

link   

But it's not the case. Few people, if any, think what Bee said was "fine". It's an imaginary (what if they thought it was fine) so Roseanne supporters can relish the idea of their victimization which they apparently enjoy. For the most part, it's a manufactured scenario.

edit on 6/1/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

And some of those same types of people cheered on samantha bee's comment as something great, and she got an award!

Her award wasn't for her use of the c-word, it was for her continuing commentary, and by the way, Roseanne has plenty of awards too. Sam B's commentary on Ivanka was spot on, even if the c-word part was offensive. If she had called Ivanka a "feckless dick" we'd be fine. Chalk it up to girls being girls and locker room talk.

Sure I will.

I was not offended by it, and actually chuckled.

Chalk what roseanne said up to locker room talk as well.

Oh wait, for some reason that offense is worse!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I've always thought that anyone offended by words alone deserves to be offended, that is their right, and that's where is ends.

All of this madness is more than enough to lead a person to drink

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain
I think if a political commentator (and Samantha Bee's show is political commentary, even if it's in the form of comedy) on TV would have called Hillary Clinton's daughter Chelsea the c-word during the 2016 campaign, that commentator would be labeled as a misogynist and his/her job would be in jeopardy.

Oh the irony.

Our current lack of political civility can be traced directly back to right wing talk radio in the 90s. Before then everyone on both sides agreed that at least kids were off limits.

Once Clinton took office talking heads like Rush started in with jabs about adding another dog house to the White House for Chelsea to live in. I have MANY issues with the Clintons, and what they've done to this country, but I wouldn't dream of taking them out on a 13 year old girl. Once the right condoned crossing the line of attacking the kids... the gloves came off in both parties, and here we are today.

Rush is still on the air.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I was asking ketsuko, but I do agree with you on that.

As for Bee, I still think it's less of a left/right double standard, and more of a male/female double standard in this case.

edit on 6/1/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

And the cycle continues... The outrage and the outrage over the outrage. Yin and yang. There is some liberal outrage then the alt-right or right responding to it.

He's right. The left/right is becoming two sides of the same coin, propelled by the corporate news media pendulum.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Still not the same as a white person insulting a black person based on color of skin.

Maybe I'm uninformed, but what is the history of oppression behind the word "c!nt"? I've heard women using it as an insult, like calling someone an a-hole, but never seen someone use it as a reference for dehumanization. You know.. like calling black ppl apes..

One in five women (and only one in 71 men) will be raped at some point in their lives and you think it's no big deal to refer to a woman as a vulgar term for a vagina and don't see how that dehumanizes them.

Whatever.

I actually like Samantha Bee, but we cannot have blatant double standards that divide and marginalize people. Samantha and everyone that works on her show should be fired OR the Roseanne reboot should not be cancelled.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I honestly don't see how c!nt ties into rape. I've never gotten the idea of rape when someone said, "c!nt". Just like I don't picture rape if someone calls someone a d!ck or as$hole.

Rape is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that women have been oppressed by men throughout history. However, I just don't see the connection between that and "c!nt". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.
edit on 1-6-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I honestly don't see how c!nt ties into rape. I've never gotten the idea of rape when someone said, "c!nt". Just like I don't picture rape if someone calls someone a d!ck or as$hole.

Rape is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that women have been oppressed by men throughput history. However, I i just don't see the connection between that and "c!nt". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

I honestly don't see how 'Planet of the Apes' ties into racism. I have never gotten the idea of racism when I watch the Planet of the Apes movies, just like I don't picture racism when I hear 'Wizard of Oz' or 'Jurassic Park.'

Racism is certainly a problem and there's no doubt that black people have been oppressed by white people. However, I just don't see the connection between that and "Planet of the Apes". Maybe I'm wrong, but just my perception.

edit on 6/1/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join