It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Ok so we all have heard that Roseanne got her show canceled for remarks she made on twitter.

She apologized for the remarks, but the damage was already done.

For the record, I do not want anyone to lose their show over dumb comments, but I think what she said was offensive and the network had every right to cancel her show.

It was roseannes fault, period, and nothing else I say in this thread changes that at all. She was dumb, said something she new would be found to ber very offensive, and now she is paying the price.

However, I also feel it is worth talking about the double standards that apply to things like this.

Whether people want to admit it or not, most of our entertainment and culture is dominated by voices on the left. Tv, movies, music, reporters, professors, heck even athletes at this point all seem to be overwhelming leftists.

There seems to be a double standard with how someone seemingly on the left in these areas can get away with saying far more taan people seemingly on the right.

As just an aside, the most hilarious double standard I saw was MSNBC's andrea mitchell asking Joy reid (who posted homophobic things on her blog, only to then lie and say she was hacked, and inevitably say that she basically had amnesia about those comments) what a person has to right on social media to get fired. Hilarious, seeing as how MSNBC was more than willing to keep reid after her comments.

But the most egregious example of this occurring recently has to be darling of the left Samantha Bee.

She is a "comedian" (i use the term loosely) who does a daily show type show on CBS, that is basically made up of her attacking trump. (for another quick hot take on her, check out her episode praising at the time NY AG schneiderman as a hero for going after trump. Turns out he is an accused woman batterer and rapist)

Samantha is do to receive an award from the Television Academy for "advancing social change" this evening.

LAst night on her show, she proceeded to call Ivanka trump a, well I am sure I cant type the word here, so I will link to what she said and censor it.

You know, Ivanka, that’s a beautiful photo of you and your child," Bee said,

“but let me just say, one mother to another, do something about your dad’s immigration practices you feckless c***!”

www.zerohedge.com...

Strangely, I havent seen the immediate calls from all of hollywood to cancel her as I did with seeing them applaud the canceling of roseannes show.

I wonder if MSNBC will have Ivanka on with a panel to discuss how horrible Samantha Bee is, and the people she represents like they did for roseanne?

Oh wait, I dont wonder, because there is an absurd double standard.

And keep in mind, what roseanne said, which again was dumb and she should have known better, was on twitter. What samantha said was on her tv show! That means it past dozens of people that work on the show, the editors, and even the network (TBS)

But still, she will probably continue to be praised as a great person, and will probably still get her award tonight.

Oh and for the record, samantha has apologized like roseanne did.

The left is totally willing to forgive anyone on the left that apologizes, so it all cool.

Oh and eta...

I dont want samantha canceled, even in some sort of tit for tat. I dont mind offensive jokes at all. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.

edit on 31-5-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Heh.

Trump was never part of KKK = Literally Hitler.

Robert Byrd was KKK Grand Dragon whatever = totally super cool mentor guy to be admired.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Heh.

Trump was never part of KKK = Literally Hitler.

Robert Byrd was KKK Grand Dragon whatever = totally super cool mentor guy to be admired.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just remember ***SNIP*** is sexist so you must be a leftist to be able to use the term.
edit on 5/31/2018 by Blaine91555 because: Removed profanity

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

The real ***SNIP*** are the women in Congress who want to take away tax cuts.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The left is uber sensitive (and blind to their hypocrisy) and they control most of what people consume, especially compared to the conservative / "right wing" voice.

So naturally, anyone on the right that steps over the left's sensitivity threshold will get significantly more heat than the person on the left who does it.

It's by design. I appreciate you continually trying to implement some sort of change and common sense by exposing the double standard throughout our society, but (as you know) we don't get to control the narrative and people are ... well, not stupid, just willfully ignorant.

That said, Preach on!
edit on 1131x6711America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
She wasn't making fun of a black person in this case, or when the other lady was making fun of S.H. Sander's looks.
That means that it is OK.

Calling the presidents daughter a ***SNIP*** and making fun of the press secretary's looks is OK. They are white.
Saying that a black lady looks like someone from the planet of the apes is not OK.
(even though the joke fits reeeaaaly well.)

edit on 31-5-2018 by o0oTOPCATo0o because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
The left is uber sensitive (and blind to their hypocrisy) and they control most of what people consume, especially compared to the conservative / "right wing" voice.

So naturally, anyone on the right that steps over the left's sensitivity threshold will get significantly more heat than the person on the left who does it.

It's by design. I appreciate you continually trying to implement some sort of change and common sense by exposing the double standard throughout our society, but (as you know) we don't get to control the narrative and people are ... well, not stupid, just willfully ignorant.

That said, Preach on!

I beg to differ.

The left is not blind to their hypocrisy at all. They KNOW they are hypocrites and not only are they fine with that, they revel in it.

To them it is a form of power... something they can use to get away with whatever they want to in a polite society.

An opinion....

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Attention -

OK folks, you can discuss this without circumventing the censors or using that word.

Be warned.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

Saying that a black lady looks like someone from the planet of the apes is not OK.
(even though the joke fits reeeaaaly well.)

Yes, black lady..........

Reminds me of the "white Hispanic" George Zimmerman.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

(post by okrian removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I don't see how ABC is responsible for Samantha Bee's show, who works for TBS.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I'm sure Ivanka will lose sleep over some idiotic feckless bitch's opinion, really.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Erm, yeah you missed the point.
The thread is about hypocrisy and double standards.

edit on Thu May 31 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.
We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

Community Announcement re: Decorum

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join