It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

hah, so defensive

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Kinda like Jimmy Kimmel for doing black face or Bill Maher for saying the N word? Oh that's right they weren't fired.

edit on 1-6-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

I'm picturing you as a combination of donkey poop and sumo-wrestle farts. I'm not insulting you, just letting your minds eye run with it

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i thought we were talking about samantha bees comments?

keep moving those goal posts

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Im more concerned with the hypocrisy of the left.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I don't know how to clarify this for you, I feel like I'm showing card tricks to a dog...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

Every left/right person is a hypocrite these days.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

True but one side gets punished for it more often it seems.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

only in echo chambers

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Yea that was in bad taste. Both cases weren't written/said as an insult, unlike Rosanne. People go a little overboard with word n!gga/n!gger though. No words should be banned. Just used with respect.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Come on... a woman calling another woman a c!nt is like a guy calling another guy a dick. There is no history of oppression there....

edit on 1-6-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
From what I read, Samantha bee wasn't being racist, just crude. Being mean isn't on the same level as racist. I think that's the major difference here. Rosanne was being racist and mean. Bee was just mean.

That word is considered to be among the worst and dehumanizing things a woman can be called, and it's associated with misogyny, not just meanness (ironically, it is possible for a woman's words and actions to be misogynist).

I think if a political commentator (and Samantha Bee's show is political commentary, even if it's in the form of comedy) on TV would have called Hillary Clinton's daughter Chelsea the c-word during the 2016 campaign, that commentator would be labeled as a misogynist and his/her job would be in jeopardy.

edit on 2018/6/1 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

No.

This is all so much fake outrage calculated to get people who are not politically advantageous removed from the public sphere.

If you want proof, go back to the Laura Ingraham/David Hogg flap. She did not use any vile language or racial insult. She merely made a slightly off the cuff comment about him whining over his college rejection, and it created a national incident during which they tried to get her show removed via sponsor boycott.

It is all so much manufactured outrage and selective collective offense.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The biggest hypocrisy is that the media wasn't invited to a media awards event because of what Bee said.

edit to correct

edit on 1-6-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

I don't know how to clarify this for you, I feel like I'm showing card tricks to a dog...

I could provide articles of people saying how sexist the word is, but some have already been removed by mods.

I have seen women say they find that word to be a disgusting sexist attack on them.

Why are their opinions on what that word means any less valid that black peoples on the joke roseanne made?

This is why these double standards are absurd; now we are forced to parse out who is most offended.

What it comes down to, as you know, is that the people feel their offense is always jsutified, and the other sides isnt.

Right now, the left dominates culture as far as the people in power.

So they demand roseanne be canceled for her offense, but are ok with bees offense because she is one of them. Had a man say sean hannity called chelsea clinton that word, the same hollywood/tv personalities that wanted roseanne fired would be calling for his head for being a sexist offensive buffoon, and you know this is true.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The hypocrisy is of people that demand roseanne be fired for saying something offensive, but applaud samantha bee for what she said and give her an award.

Who demanded Roseanne be fired? There was no time for public outrage and demands of her firing. ABC fired her within hours of her 2am tweet. By 11am, on the west coast, I got an alert from the NYT that she was fired. People were shocked how fast it happened.

Jeez, You just make up problems to whine about.

On the otherhand, people are actually demanding that Samantha Bee be fired, people like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. And while the "Insulter in Chief" wouldn't allow the aide that commented on McCain's impending death to publicly apologize, he now wants ABC to apologize to him, like they did to Valarie Jarret, for criticism about him from their network employees too. That's hyprocisy.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: ketsuko

Come on... a woman calling another woman a c!nt is like a guy calling another guy a dick. There is no history of oppression there....

Even though both words are genitalia,, there has been a growing history of the connotation of calling a woman the c-word in the past decade or so that has made the word become much worse and much more dehumanizing than calling a guy a dick.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You seem determined to be offended...

You left/right people are all the same.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Well yes, they didnt get time to demand because abc acted fast, you are right. But they did celebrate that firing, have cnn and msnbc panels on why she needed to be fired and this proves how trump and his supporters are racist, etc.

And some of those same types of people cheered on samantha bee's comment as something great, and she got an award!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

You seem determined to be offended...

You left/right people are all the same.

Um no.

Again, I was not offended by anything roseanne or smantha bee said.

Nor was I offended by kathy griffin.

Nor do I want to see any of them lose their jobs.

I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the people with power that pearl clutched about how offended they were about roseanne, and yet have no problem with what Samantha said.

My reasoning for this, as I have explained, is to show that all of outrage is in fact fake, and we should stop bowing down to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join