It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Roseanne' Canceled at ABC Following Racist Tweet

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
I'm just gonna leave this here....

Make of it what you will..

Sure, but I tend to keep in mind white people haven't been denigrated & seen as subhuman for generations with comparisons to primates as a leading example of how they're wild, violent animals unworthy of being treated well. White people have not had to prove, and still be ignored, that they're not subhuman wild primates.

THAT is why primate comparisons for blacks are offensive. Deliberately denigrating comparison is denigrating.

But she isn't black. And her ancestors are more likely to have owned black slaves..

As far as I know, yes she is. Her skin tone is not unheard of for blacks, they run the gamut of a tan to jet black, for crying out loud. That's like saying a tanned person can't be Irish because they're not lily white.

Knock knock it's reality

black is black and white is white

rachel dolezal is not black

eminem is white

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I didn't think Roseanne's tweet was funny but the hypocrisy is quite amazing. Jimmy Kimmel, Wanda Sykes and Bill Maher have all compared or directly called Trump an orangutan. I don't even have a problem with ABC cancelling the show over it. Problem is, Wanda, Jimmy and Bill didn't receive this kind of blow back.

Because it isn't considered racist.

Unless these disagree with me.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

Nah, we're just compared to devils.

Eh, not really an insult, the devil ain't real. Might as well compared us to mogwai.

oic.

So now you can insult someone, but it isn't really an insult?

I thought it was intent that was what made it an insult. Clearly when they call us white devils and go on and on about how horrible we are to them, they aren't intending it to be a good thing.

There are racial slurs that aren't "real" things either, but they are still insults. I am not going to type them, but I think you know some of them.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Eh, not really an insult, the devil ain't real. Might as well compared us to mogwai.

But by calling us the devil they make him real and give him a face in their eyes..

If you believe in one in the first place or are nuts and really think someone's the actual devil himself, maybe. Otherwise it packs about as much of a punch of "motherf-er" does, it's the intent conveyed that matters. Neither are the same as saying an entire ethnicity is no better than wild animals.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

End of story.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Sure, but I tend to keep in mind white people haven't been denigrated & seen as subhuman for generations with comparisons to primates as a leading example of how they're wild, violent animals unworthy of being treated well. White people have not had to prove, and still be ignored, that they're not subhuman wild primates.

THAT is why primate comparisons for blacks are offensive. Deliberately denigrating comparison is denigrating.

But she isn't black. And her ancestors are more likely to have owned black slaves..

Yes, believe it or not she is African-American. Her parents are both American but were living in Iran when VJ was born. They moved out of Iran when she was 4 years old from what I remember.

I wonder if Roseanne knew she is black when she wrote the tweet. If she didn't, then it's clearly not racist.

Honestly, I didn't know VJ was black until today.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I got this from 4chan.

>NFL bans kneeling during anthem

Conservatives: private companies can do what they want!!! free speech does NOT mean there won't be consequences!

>Roseanne gets canceled over racist tweet

Conservatives: this is an outrage! the liberal media is trying to ban dissent! liberals hate free speech!

The hypocrisy is astounding.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yeah I feel ya, Satan meh.

The real power is with Tzeentch.

White Privilege. haha.
edit on 29-5-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Yes, believe it or not she is African-American. Her parents are both American but were living in Iran when VJ was born. They moved out of Iran when she was 4 years old from what I remember.

I wonder if Roseanne knew she is black when she wrote the tweet. If she didn't, then it's clearly not racist.

Honestly, I didn't know VJ was black until today.

I wondered the same thing. I didn't realize Jarrett was black either until a few years ago when I was looking up her history.

link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

What did she mean by the "Planet of the Apes" remark?

link   

Alright I guess I was wrong. TBH there was always more focus on her leaving people off the WH guest list than her past. And I never bothered to wikipedia her.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: angeldoll
I find if refreshing that ABC chose decency over ratings and money. Rare these days.

Seems kinda odd and out of place

what do they have to gain by suddenly choosing to do what is being portrayed as correct?

a bit too convenient to be able to shut her up when they choose

Business move Disney brand can be hurt by racism. They had to deal with it all ready with Walt Disney and took along time to bury that. From a business stand point they made the right choice.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

As far as I know, yes she is. Her skin tone is not unheard of for blacks, they run the gamut of a tan to jet black, for crying out loud. That's like saying a tanned person can't be Irish because they're not lily white.

Knock knock it's reality

black is black and white is white

rachel dolezal is not black

eminem is white

No s#, we know that. Jarrett is still black whether you want to admit it or not.

Exactly what constitutes being black to you, anyway? Pure African? Most American blacks are mixed to a degree at some point in their family histories (white, Native) This allows for greatly varying shades of skin. How the hell do you not understand that much?

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: MotherMayEye

What did she mean by the "Planet of the Apes" remark?

Go back to pages 12 and 13 where pictures have been posted. She resembles one of the characters.

link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
I got this from 4chan.

>NFL bans kneeling during anthem

Conservatives: private companies can do what they want!!! free speech does NOT mean there won't be consequences!

>Roseanne gets canceled over racist tweet

Conservatives: this is an outrage! the liberal media is trying to ban dissent! liberals hate free speech!

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Funny that, I don't see anyone in this thread complaining that ABC fired her, we're merely arguing over whether what she said was even that bad. Nobody has said this was a free speech issue, because it wasn't. ABC can do whatever they wish. That said, they make an unusual move snipcanning their highest rated show, ya?

link   

But by calling us the devil they make him real and give him a face in their eyes..

If you believe in one in the first place or are nuts and really think someone's the actual devil himself, maybe. Otherwise it packs about as much of a punch of "motherf-er" does, it's the intent conveyed that matters. Neither are the same as saying an entire ethnicity is no better than wild animals.

Ah but according to science we are all just animals!

link   
Roseanne has been telling off color jokes for decades. I think ABC is making much to do about nothing. However this is the kind of story I have come to expect for CNN.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Its either all racist or none of it is. I think that is the meat of what is being discussed here.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Roseanne has been telling off color jokes for decades.

Too soon man, too soon.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Not a fan of roseanne by any stretch of the imagination, my wife watches that show apparently. She says it's funny sometimes, don't really care, I don't watch TV normally. The comment although potentially distasteful, is not much different than saying a fart stinks, I don't think her show deserves to be cancelled. She would have however been more accurate in referring to her as the "Past Puppet in Chief's Publicity and Trans-Whatever Whore" (she was the Obama-Biden Transition Committee person). At least that would have been a little more accurate. Although, if you stick some big ears on her she might look like a Ferengi Whore (but I've never actually seen one, so that is pure speculation).

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/29.2018 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join