It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Roseanne' Canceled at ABC Following Racist Tweet

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: RowanBean

Yes. The word apes is in there. And racist people have always called black people monkeys and apes. If she didn't mean that then she should have been more careful but she messed up.

It seems that not only overtly racist people are making the connection between black people and apes.

You seem not to know the history behind it.
I'll make it more clear for you. We know that racist people call black people names like apes so hence it seems that she is being racist. That is what the outrage is about. Perhaps she should explain her tweet to make it more clear.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: MotherMayEye

And, btw, there is a young black actress who played Roseanne Conner's granddaughter who is now out of a job.

Then she should have known better and be more careful.

I think you are being ridiculous.

And I also think that if it wasn't this...another excuse would have eventually been found to pull the show. It's too easy to twist whatever into being 'racist' when it suits someone's politics.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

She's black, planet of the apes is about talking apes. Smack my head...

I always thought the movie was a sci fi movie about a dystopian, authoritarian society.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Cry me a river. The theory of evolution is also racist, or are we to presume POCs spontaneously materialized sometime following man's decent from the treetops?

Who's crying? LOL.
I challenge you to find a black man and tell him he's an ape.
Video yourself doing it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

I always thought the movie was a sci fi movie about a dystopian, authoritarian society.

Don't be stupid...it's about talking apes...

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

How am I being ridiculous? Her calling black people apes is as valid as you thinking she was talking about Lola from the Planet of the Apes.
We do not know what she meant unless she explains her tweet.

link   

You seem not to know the history behind it. I'll make it more clear for you. We know that racist people call black people names like apes so hence it seems that she is being racist. That is what the outrage is about. Perhaps she should explain her tweet to make it more clear.

She said if the muslim brotherhood and the planet of the apes had a baby, that would be Valarie Jarret. She never said Jarret
nor black people are like apes and monkeys. I just find it interesting that those decrying the racist connotations, immediately ascribe those same racist connotations.

link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

I'll correct you, the biggest mistake is when they apologize. Those apologies just further feed the beast and lead to the celebrity being required to take a self flaggelation tour of all the talk shows, where the minority host belittles them and ridicules them, while the media continues to report on the "sin" until such time as a significant number of minority hosts and Pez dispenser flip mouth pundits declare the celebrity "atoned" and the media once again fawns over them.

Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson laid out much more logical blueprints. Say something, own it, tell the world to go eff themselves if they have a problem, and ride out the brief storm before another media company pays you millions to do your thing again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Micheal Richards, Imus, Roseanne, etc... never should have apologized. They lessen their position by doing so and there's never a reason to self-direct your own loss of position.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Well, yes, it is, but don't spoil their fun. This allows them to feel more moral than everyone else.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Some people absolutely are less evolved.

link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Cry me a river. The theory of evolution is also racist, or are we to presume POCs spontaneously materialized sometime following man's decent from the treetops?

Who's crying? LOL.
I challenge you to find a black man and tell him he's an ape.
Video yourself doing it.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

link   

How am I being ridiculous? Her calling black people apes is as valid as you thinking she was talking about Lola from the Planet of the Apes.

This is the height of irony. You are so right. We don't fully know what she meant unless she explains her tweet.

But *you* know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she's racist.

I will agree with you though that not all of us say the smartest things all the time, including Roseanne.

edit on 29-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   

I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.

Feel better?

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

An Arab and an ape had a baby named Valerie Jarrett. So that seems to mean that she is half ape. A talking ape at that.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

An Arab and an ape had a baby named Valerie Jarrett. So that seems to mean that she is half ape. A talking ape at that.

You do know that not all Muslims are Arab?

That is so racist!

link   

Well, if you don't know what she meant, stop claiming that she meant to call all black people 'apes.'

It was obvious to me that she meant VJ looks like she walked off the set of a Planet of the Apes movie because she does.

Why use "Planet of" in her comment if it was actually just only about 'apes?'

You have cherry picked one comment from Roseanne to call her a racist and ignored the fact that she had a black actress cast as her granddaughter on the show. Roseanne actually has a long history as a liberal and I've never considered her remotely racist.

Does she tell outrageous and off-color jokes? Yes. But so do all good comedians -- of all colors -- in my book.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.

Feel better?

I don't see her explaining what she meant by that tweet. In fact she seems to admit that it was a racist joke.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

How bigoted of you calling Muslims apes.

link   

You racist MFer! Iranians are Persian, NOT Arab!!!!!

link   

Well, if you don't know what she meant, stop claiming that she meant to call all black people 'apes.'

I'm not claiming anything, just discussing. You do agree that it was in bad taste though?
BTW you're the one who made the claim that she meant Lola. You don't know that.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join