It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This new Childish Gambino Song Promotes Divisive Lies

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

originally posted by: Carcharadon

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I have a question. Do you think that pointing out the amount of black-on-black crime mean the issues that David Glover pointed out aren't true? Because to me that sounds like a whataboutism fallacy? Do you honestly believe there is only one possible issue affecting the black community and it is black on black crime?

Who is David Glover?

Childish Gambino is a character that the comedian and actor Donald Glover uses to make music.

Yeah. That's a my bad on that one. I mixed up his first name.

link   

originally posted by: bender151
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

I think you're missing a few key points

1) it's the artists opinion. He doesn't owe you facts.
2) if you read the lyrics you'd know he's not contradicting any of your claims
4) he's aware where the violence is coming from, and doesn't blame white people kmfor shooting black people. He blames his own neighborhood.
3) if fact, the one complaint he makes towards the establishment is that, as a black man, he's just a bar code... or statistic. Which you're all too willing to reinforce.

But yeah, seeing a black man doing something successfully that doesn't fit with how you think he should be acting is the real problem.

You nailed the Democratic party talking points perfectly, especially #3! Unfortunately, black Americans are seen as nothing more than a means to an end for them.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, but that is what the liberal media would have you believe. I think we should address ALL the issues, and give the most attention to the most severe issues first, which would be black on black violence, while still addressing the rest as well.

But hey, not focusing on things that tear this country apart won't get as many votes or advance the agenda.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Milkweed
The FBI reports that in 2016 50% of racially motivated hate crimes where against black people.

Only 20% where against white people.

Facts.

So you like those facts Hey? No context, no digging deeper.

But when someone post facts about how 13% of the population(actually only 6-7%) commits North of 50% of all violent crimes you start in with the "other factors", "we need to dig deeper to find out why" and so on and so forth.

Facts you like= good as they are. No further investigating necessary.

Facts you don't like= investigate fully. List every possible reason under the sun that minimizes unlikable facts.

What a joke.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Music both brings people together as well as tears them apart. But it usually leads to discussion which is what has started here. While not everyone agrees with what Childish Gambino is saying with his art it did start the discussion.

Which is exactly what his message was I'm sure.

You don't have to like the music, art or message.

edit on 17-5-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I didn't even realize the first name was wrong. I just thought the poster did not know that Childish Gambino is not a real person, but is in fact a character created by Donald Glover. Who is a real person.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I didn't even realize the first name was wrong. I just thought the poster did not know that Childish Gambino is not a real person, but is in fact a character created by Donald Glover. Who is a real person.

At least that's what THEY want YOU to believe.........**X-Files music starts playing**

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Yeah. I made a mistake. I read D Glover and just typed in some random name. Lol. Heh.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

originally posted by: strongfp

Because crunching numbers and using statistics for a on going social and quite known social issue means it's right.
Yea sure black on black crime happens, but the question is why. And the reasons are rather uncomfortable for a lot of people to swallow.

Right, your reason is "white people" and yes white people (like any other people) don't like being blamed for other people's problems based on their skin color. What if black people are totally responsible for their own behavior? Do you even consider such a thing? You dismiss crime statistics and National Crime Victimization Surveys, but what do you have to prove your side?

For starters how about not even less than 70 years ago America was so divided by so called race a person who was black couldn't even drink from the same water source let alone hold and civil rights.
Start from there and follow the trail of racism all the way into today's world.

I love how you talk about people with black skin as if they aren't people or aren't americans. Guess what they are and everyone is responsible for societal problems not just people with a different skin color.

When we live in a society where black parents need to sit their kids down to explain how other people will hate them purely because of the color of their skin you know something is wrong. And don't deny it doesn't happen because it does. That's just the tip of the discrimination iceberg.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

I'm confused how you people are coming to the conclusion that what Glover is saying is that white people are the biggest problem affecting black people. Disregarding the fact that the rest of his work refutes this notion, there isn't a single white person in the music video.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

You know, it took black people, as well as WHITE people those 70 some years ago to push the policies through and set the tone for equal rights in our society.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Welp....When that tune starts playing I know its time to change my tinfoil hat and burn down my current shack. Need to find a new hovel to start my is Donald Glover a real boy conspiracy board.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
They also forget that most "black on black" crime is used to attack law abiding gun owners. When in reality, most of these "gun murders" are caused by predominately AA/Lat gangs in inner-cities.

Not talking about mass shootings, which are *near* universally committed by white males (or PETA Vegan Iranian Women)

Hence, attempting to craft laws to fix one by targeting the other is fruitless.

Newsweek had an article and in it they said threat 54% of mass shootings were committed by white men. So technically you are right. But that is far,far lower % than what the media implies. Going by the media you would think that whites committed at least 90% of mass shootings.

A similar trend can be seen when dealing with serial killers. There is a myth, and the media(tv shows, news etc) heavily imply that the vast majority of serial killers are white.

But when you actually look at the facts they show that serial killers are pretty much divided along percentage of population.

If your population is 60% white, 20% black, 20% other than the ethnicities of serial killers will follow those same percentages +/-10%.

Except, and here's a surprise, for their population density blacks in America are way overrepresented at about 30-35% of all serial killers versus their 15% pop density.

Another factoid rarely brought up is that serial killers rarely kill outside their own racial group. It happens but it's rare.

Except for.......black serial killers. Their preferred racial victim outside of their racial group? White people.

Try seeing that reported on. I can't even remember the last time a show like Criminal Minds(about serial killers/spree killers etc) had a black serial killer. In the 8+ years of watching that show I can think of 2 black bad guys.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

You know, it took black people, as well as WHITE people those 70 some years ago to push the policies through and set the tone for equal rights in our society.

Did you even read my whole post?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I did, and the trail of racism seems to be thinning out from 70 years ago. With the help of WHITES of course, which kind of hurts the whole racism thing. It's there, for sure, but it's greatly diminished compared to 70 years ago. Other than the work some race pimps continue to do, racism really isn't the issue everyone hopes/wants it to be.

Today, in America, your success is predominately determined by your drive. That sounds like a talk every parent should sit down and have with their child, regardless of skin color.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

A few hundreds years of slavery and oppression versus 70 some odd years of slightly getting better, I believe the term rome wasn't built in a day can be used here.
The economic drive of a nation doesn't explain why the social behaviours of people are so broken.
But it can easily explain why some minorities are at the bottom and some are at the top. For the most part people who are black are discriminated against the most. Maybe not within the last decade or so but it has been an issue in the past, called lazy, thugs, the typical, but did it ever occur to you why those people grew up like that?
Not everyone has the same opportunity in life, but guess what white people sure did have a lot more than any other skin tone not even one generation ago.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

3) if fact, the one complaint he makes towards the establishment is that, as a black man, he's just a bar code... or statistic. Which you're all too willing to reinforce. 

That is such a cop out load of Bs. We are all just a bar code and statistic. The human product status is no longer exclusive to a specific race, Creed, ethnicity or even religious following. Conglom-O owns us all.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

I did, and the trail of racism seems to be thinning out from 70 years ago. With the help of WHITES of course, which kind of hurts the whole racism thing. It's there, for sure, but it's greatly diminished compared to 70 years ago. Other than the work some race pimps continue to do, racism really isn't the issue everyone hopes/wants it to be.

Today, in America, your success is predominately determined by your drive. That sounds like a talk every parent should sit down and have with their child, regardless of skin color.

"Kind of" being the key words. Do you even know any black people. Ask one how they're treated differently on a daily basis. You can even pick your favorite one to ask! Seems like you like to throw vague quantifiers around, like "Kind of, greatly diminished, predominantly, etc." Are there actual statistics to back this up, or is it just what you would like to believe?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

A few hundreds years of slavery and oppression versus 70 some odd years of slightly getting better, I believe the term rome wasn't built in a day can be used here.
The economic drive of a nation doesn't explain why the social behaviours of people are so broken.
But it can easily explain why some minorities are at the bottom and some are at the top. For the most part people who are black are discriminated against the most. Maybe not within the last decade or so but it has been an issue in the past, called lazy, thugs, the typical, but did it ever occur to you why those people grew up like that?
Not everyone has the same opportunity in life, but guess what white people sure did have a lot more than any other skin tone not even one generation ago.

I stopped reading after the bolded. I guess the term "slightly" better is throwing me off. Are you saying that things, right now, are only slightly better then they were back when SLAVERY was still the norm?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Totally. That's basically what I do professionally. That doesn't mean we shouldn't address negative police interactions or let's say opportunity in work place/higher Ed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join