It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This new Childish Gambino Song Promotes Divisive Lies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

There are numerous obvious significant themes and you've chosen to fixate on basically 3 words in the middle and a couple frames of the video.

Gun violence
Consumerism
Pop culture as a distraction

And of course all of the above as they relate to black people in American in particular. If you could suppress your triggering, you'd see that it's a cultural critique that you could probably find some agreement with. Consider the middle portion starting:

Don't catch you slippin' up

through:

Guns in my area
I got the strap

to:

Get your money, Black man

and then finally:

Look how I'm geekin' out
I'm so fitted
I'm on Gucci
I'm so pretty

That's seems a pretty clear indictment of violence driven by consumerism which is reflected and promoted in pop culture.

And yes, there's also some fairly overt references to racism/racial injustice (church shooting anyone?). I would also say, shades of the sentiment behind "cultural appropriation" which is that American society values black people as entertainers but scoffs at real issues that impact black people disproportionately.

It certainly succeeded in driving conversation.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

You're being picky about my poor choice of words. Here I'll go back and correct it if you want since it makes youre so offended.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You're being picky about my poor choice of words. Here I'll go back and correct it if you want since it makes youre so offended.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

It's very obvious to me. You seem to be playing some kind of game where you're obtuse and pretend not to understand what is being said.

I understand what is being said. A claim was made that was obviously hyperbole. I asked for a source to see if the person making that claim was honest enough to admit they were talking out of their asses.

Apparently they are not.

Those on the left that are anti-gun often cite the gun violence rates as a reason why law abiding people shouldn't have guns. What we're saying is that most of that violence is either gang related or suicides.

Ok. What part of the song in question in relevant to what you believe about the Left?

So you seem to be saying that no., the left does not use that argument. Right?

Seem? Are you unable to read what I have posted? If so, where did I say anything remotely close to that?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

70 years wasn't that long ago. The people that typically 'but we got over this already' often fail to realize that 70 years is simply not that long ago. There are people still alive today that lived it.

I'd wager that most people in America aren't actually racist, maybe a little bigoted, or ignorant.

I'd also wager those that 'protest too much' are probably racist scumbags.

"But look at the BLACKS and what they've done...!"
"But look at the WHITES and what they'v done....!"

OP, you took that piece and you completely misinterpreted what was being expressed - with this being the internet there's one thing you can count on: Some other idiot will disregard viewing the source for himself/herself and be influenced by the garbage you've typed.

Where are the black professing that white people are their biggest problems? Oh, there are some out there no doubt, but for everyone you find I can find a white person professing that blacks or other minorities are ruining 'their great country'.

a reply to: Edumakated

Here's an example for you:

You are a black man, and no matter what kind of person you are or what you've done, let someone post a thread on this very message board that contains a video of someone black doing or saying something stupid and you can watch
how the thread would be flooded with " black people, need to do x" or black people should stop doing y".

Post a video of a white person doing or saying the same stupid thing and the tune changes to "He is x" or "He should have done y".

As a black man in America, you don't get to be an individual. You need to be responsible for all other blacks behavior. You need to be ok with being profiled because of what some other black has done.

This isn't right.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You don't know why this is? Well its culture. But not black culture. It's the culture that has become inner city culture. If you cleaned up say 3 major crime cities the stats wouldn't be nearly as crazy.

The who and how it started is irrelevant now, the fact is also these crime zones like south Chicago are basically like living in a war zone. The education is terrible, the living conditions are terrible, and people are born into it.

The genius and cream of the crop can escape..the top 5 percent. It would be the same for any race and globally it is similar. There are white ghettos in eastern Europe with gangs and crime lords.

So what do the stats look like if you take out chicago? Then the next two highest black crime areas? A lot different.

Now the why is complex. It's a mixture of failed politics, failed policy, and failed community.

For instance the old blame it on Crack era...that did a lot of good. It sure made it easy and provide a scapegoat. It didn't however provide any solutions to actual problems.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
a reply to: strongfp

I did, and the trail of racism seems to be thinning out from 70 years ago. With the help of WHITES of course, which kind of hurts the whole racism thing. It's there, for sure, but it's greatly diminished compared to 70 years ago. Other than the work some race pimps continue to do, racism really isn't the issue everyone hopes/wants it to be.

Today, in America, your success is predominately determined by your drive. That sounds like a talk every parent should sit down and have with their child, regardless of skin color.

Yeah not 70 years ago. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 which ended legal segregation was 54 years ago. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 followed. Things don't change over night. All those people who were out in the streets trying to preserve the legally enshrined oppression of black people didn't just go home and say, "Oh well, glad that's over. I'm totally not racist anymore!"

Holy #. This line is so unhinged I don't even know where to start:

"With the help of WHITES of course, which kind of hurts the whole racism thing."

Some white people fought alongside black people to obtain the fundamental civil rights for black people that white people had denied them for hundreds of years and you take that as proof of a lack of racism?

What a derpfest of cognitive dissonance. I mean Jesus. How can one even utter tripe like that and not realize how bizarrely twisted it is?
edit on 2018-5-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The truth is that the biggest threat to black people in this country is other black people (93% of black murders done by other black people, 83% for whites). And yes, most whites are killed by whites as well, but at a much lower rate

How is 83 to 90 a much higher rate?

The 3rd largest killer of white males between ages 19-24 is homicide.

In Chicago in the AL Capone Era it was white men getting blasted.

Crime and ifrastructure play a big role.

A little insight from an nra supporter and unofficial spokesman.

youtu.be...

edit on 17-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It wasn't that long ago. My parents grew up / experienced it. I was part of a desegregation busing program in the south. Very familiar with the subtle racism, but in no way would I put it on the same plane as dealing with colored water fountains of the prior era.

With that said, the issues facing the black community today have very little to do with racism. In fact, most of the issues didn't even come about in the black community until the 70s/80s, long after segregation and jim crow. The crime, out of wedlock birth rates, etc are all highly correlated with LBJs War on Poverty. Case in point, the out of wedlock birth rate in the black community wasn't even 25% in 1965 and even then it was considered too high versus the 75% it is now.

In fact, what did change is that the black community and Democrats gained a ton of political power during the 70s/80s.

It is comical to me to hear cries of racism holding down the black community when most of the politicians and bureaucrats running major cities are black and Democrats. Pick any major city you are going to see black police chiefs, black cops, black school teachers, black city council members, black mayors, black everything... yet some how it is white people who are now responsible for the conditions in the black community?

Systematic racism? Black people run the system in these communities...

Sorry, this sh*t is just too comical to take serious....

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The truth is that the biggest threat to black people in this country is other black people (93% of black murders done by other black people, 83% for whites). And yes, most whites are killed by whites as well, but at a much lower rate

How is 83 to 90 a much higher rate?

The 3rd largest killer of white males between ages 19-24 is homicide.

In Chicago in the AL Capone Era it was white men getting blasted.

Crime and ifrastructure play a big role.

A little insight from an nra supporter and unofficial spokesman.

youtu.be...

The higher rate is the amount of homicides, not the percentages. Blacks are only 13% of the population but account for more than 50% of the murder rates. In some cities, it is almost 90% of the murder victims.

Saying 83% of whites are killed by other whites is meaningless without looking at overall population numbers and the frequency of homicide within that demographic which is relatively low.

Put another way in simple numbers... which community has a bigger problem?

White population is 100,000 and there were 10 murders... 8 of which committed by another white person. The black population is 10,000 and there were 100 murders, 90 of which are committed by other black people.

You can claim 80% of blacks are killed by other blacks and 90% of white are killed by other whites, but clearly based on population the black community has a much bigger issue on it's hands than the white community.

edit on 17-5-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

That isn't an actual way to study sociological crime stats.

Gang crime is hyper concentrated in a few areas leading to these numbers.

If you remove just one city they change. 3 they really change.

Using stats in this way as the op does is completely dishonest.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'd say, he more or less made a comical, yet tragic video that it is America, or the state of it!? Especially with his Ebonics, he is somewhat mocking them for trying to hard.

And I've heard worse.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

That isn't an actual way to study sociological crime stats.

Gang crime is hyper concentrated in a few areas leading to these numbers.

If you remove just one city they change. 3 they really change.

Using stats in this way as the op does is completely dishonest.

Huh? Dishonest how?

Most gun violence is highly concentrated in urban areas and more specifically within the lower income black community. Almost all of it is gang/thug related. One thug shooting another thug.

Here in Chicago, 80% of gun murder victims are black. Only 20 whites were killed in 2017 out of more than 650 murders. 80% of the gun victims and perpetrators had prior criminal records. In fact, in Chicago, the police actually have a database of thugs likely to be involved in gun crimes (either victim or perpetrator). About 80% of the people they catch or are killed are already in their database.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yeah because black gangs are in bed with the government.

Prior to jfk white gangs were in bed with the government.

The skin color isn't the issue here.

If you removed Detroit, st louis, south chicago the stats make a huge change.

Remove 10 concentrated areas they really change.

Now I understand or it seems at least you believe this is some kind of black problem but if that was the case you wouldn't be able to remove concentrated gang areas and change the stats..the stats would stay true showing blacks are more violent.

Some blacks in very specific concentrated areas due to socioeconimcs and the cycle of crime are more violent than the entire black population.

It's like taking the Irish in an Irish gang area of Boston in the 80's and saying the Irish are more dangerous criminals.

This is why nobody in science uses stats alone to interpret cause.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yeah because black gangs are in bed with the government.

Prior to jfk white gangs were in bed with the government.

The skin color isn't the issue here.

If you removed Detroit, st louis, south chicago the stats make a huge change.

Remove 10 concentrated areas they really change.

Now I understand or it seems at least you believe this is some kind of black problem but if that was the case you wouldn't be able to remove concentrated gang areas and change the stats..the stats would stay true showing blacks are more violent.

Some blacks in very specific concentrated areas due to socioeconimcs and the cycle of crime are more violent than the entire black population.

It's like taking the Irish in an Irish gang area of Boston in the 80's and saying the Irish are more dangerous criminals.

This is why nobody in science uses stats alone to interpret cause.

Are you trolling? Did you even comprehend what you just wrote... You can't be serious...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I am dead serious. There is no sociologist or social scientists who looks at stats and finds causation.

It's rediculous.

If you can't comprehend that statistics are skewed by a specific cause I can't help you figure it out.

Black people don't kill more black people as a race. Black people kill more black people in ultra consolidated areas due to environmental factors. This skews the data apparently you haven't studied statistics or the scientific method and anomaly..

Answer me this are rural black people more violent than rural whites?
edit on 17-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don’t mind the song, but I especially like the video. It’s in your face, hilarious, obscene, and it gets conservatives in a tizzy. It’s not the full truth and it portrays a one-sided outlook based on fear and prejudice—gambino is an admitted racist—but all of that can be dismissed as stupidity. I enjoy living in a world where such videos can be made.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I don’t mind the song, but I especially like the video. It’s in your face, hilarious, obscene, and it gets conservatives in a tizzy. It’s not the full truth and it portrays a one-sided outlook based on fear and prejudice—gambino is an admitted racist—but all of that can be dismissed as stupidity. I enjoy living in a world where such videos can be made.

Gonna post this direct to you, posted it above but the whole conversation is really good, this is a snip that is pertinent to the subject at hand.

youtu.be...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I'm sure others had pointed this out to you by now, haven't read through all the replies, but there isn't a single recognizable white person in the entire vid, there is allusion to mass murder , the Church scene, and the care of guns over ppl's lives, general violence and riots every one is Blk, so how in hell you get white ppl being the focus??? Your white guilt is obviously showing,....You're so vain you probably think this song is about...U!!!.
edit on 17-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
The video is filled with references to "black on black" crime. It also references police killings of young black males, school shootings, minstrel shows, extrajudicial torture and death riding a pale horse.

Art is hard. It tends to bring out whatever the receiver brings to the table.

I've seen it already. Not my kind of music by any means, but he has a clear message in it that's pretty hard to miss, and it's not what the OP is insinuating.

He's frustratedly telling people (everyone, not just one race or another) not to be complacent in the country going down the s#ter socially, because if you do, be it street crime of abuse of police powers, there won't be anybody to help when you're eventually targeted by either/or. For Christ's sake, THAT much clicked for me at the end of the video when he was running away from the chasers. And I only had to watch it once to get the gist of it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join