It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman says she called police when black Airbnb guests didn't wave at her

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So yet again we have a story of racial profiling and yet again we have the right diminishing this account as a rare occasion. They also assume that since something like this has happened to them once of twice in their lifetime, they tell you it happens to everyone but what they fail to understand is that this type of profiling is a daily thing for minorities and not a once in a blue moon occurrence.

They also bring up the fact that some minorities commit more crime than white people so that makes this type of profiling OK. I wonder, since most mass shooters are white males, would they feel the same way if police were called on an armed white man walking the streets or would they consider it overreacting?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FakeNews9999
So yet again we have a story of racial profiling and yet again we have the right diminishing this account as a rare occasion. They also assume that since something like this has happened to them once of twice in their lifetime, they tell you it happens to everyone but what they fail to understand is that this type of profiling is a daily thing for minorities and not a once in a blue moon occurrence.

They also bring up the fact that some minorities commit more crime than white people so that makes this type of profiling OK. I wonder, since most mass shooters are white males, would they feel the same way if police were called on an armed white man walking the streets or would they consider it overreacting?

It is not racial profiling. Read the linked story. Ignore the lawyer making up his BS, and focus on what the chief of police says he actually HEARD on the call.

There isn't racial profiling. This is a little old lady watching her neighborhood.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FakeNews9999

No that’s not what “we” have.

“We” being the people that don’t blindly accept one side of the story and ignore the other. Especially when one side has body cams and audio recordings and the other side doesn’t.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

There isn't racial profiling. This is a little old lady watching her neighborhood.

I think people forget that the elderly are unfairly victimized, targeted, and discriminated against, in significant numbers, and that it matters as much as anyone else who feels unfairly victimized, targeted, and discriminated against.

Would it have killed these women to just consider, for one moment, that the neighbor was under no obligation to have knowledge that they were airbnb renters -- and should not be assumed to have known -- and to give her the benefit of the doubt?

Nope...they make some huge direct leap to declaring her racist because it's low hanging fruit and they are, in fact, the insensitive, tone-deaf jerks they want to complain about.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This woman and the police acted like idiots.

What is your point?

I think the point is the woman’s reasoning for calling the police were because they were black. Unless you can think of another reason? Not waving and carrying luggage honestly doesn’t justify calling the police.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

You know maybe this is racial. I mean culturally. So I have a question for the divide.
Is it appropriate to call the police when unknown persons are in your neighbors place? Is there a different cultural etiquette in place that makes this "seem" racist? As a Caucasian I can say from this side of the fence, this does not appear racist. In "white" culture the lady would have called if the unknowns were white if they met the same criteria. Perhaps in "black" culture this is not appropriate so it would come across "racist"? Is it a socio-economic distinction? A geographical issue? Any thoughts here? Any info here would be appreciated

edit on 14-5-2018 by Commoner123 because: Add for clarification

edit on 14-5-2018 by Commoner123 because: Typo

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm not ignoring it. The article states that they're renters. They paid for the house.

Now, we don't have more information here but maybe this house is up for rent often, maybe it's not. Maybe this is the first time there were black renters and the lady thought it was suspicious. Maybe they've always been white before and there were never any issues, the owners didn't feel it necessary to forewarn the old lady of black people in the neighborhood.

We don't know any of this... we know black people rented a house, and an old white lady called the cops on them. The attorneys took the case because they obviously think there is one there.

they prolly were an air crew of attendants on the same flight, huh

edit on 14-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

originally posted by: Metallicus
This woman and the police acted like idiots.

What is your point?

I think the point is the woman’s reasoning for calling the police were because they were black. Unless you can think of another reason? Not waving and carrying luggage honestly doesn’t justify calling the police.

Yes it does.

That is how things used to actually be. Neighbors watching out for each other.

Strange people hauling stuff out of a friendly neighbors house is as suspicious as it gets

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Well...and screw CNN.

In the first couple sentences you get the attorny with his wild race bait quoted withput support.

Buried at the bottom after clicking to read the rest of the story you get the police chief, with his evidence supported statement, buried near the end.

Based on the replies i can only assume most readers didnt make it that far, or simply chose to ignore it.
edit on 5/14/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoEpic
Both the woman and police were stupid!
The police should have asked the woman what law she thought they broke.

The woman sounds like she had it in for the black guests which is awful. If they had waved she would have found another reason to call the police.

No this isn't what happened at all. She saw people leaving her neighbour's house that she has never seen before with bags of stuff. The lady had no idea the house was being rented out by the night. She would have called the cops if the people were black or white or Hispanic. It's called "Block watch". It's called being a good neighbor and looking out for one another something that very rarely happens nowadays.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: EternalShadow

Why is this even "news" in the first place?

Yes why? Instead of taking this problem on we should just sweep it under the rug right? And you wonder why these divisions persist?

This is the problem with people like you. You think there is some way to magically make the world 100% idiot free.

No matter what, no matter how much we bend over backwards for "minorities", people like you will Always be able to pull out your magnifying glass and point out the handful of jackasses, and loudly proclaim:

"See? Racism is still alive and well in America!"

And then the inevitable
"Sooooo??? What are you gonna Do about this problem, America, to make sure something like this Never happens again!"

Sorry. Not gonna happen. I'm not gonna expect the government to get rid of all the morons in my path for me, that's not a problem they can fix. I don't what you are wanting to be done? We're the officers reprimanded? Why don't you see to it that they are if this happened in your area? If not then do some internet campaigning.

You gotta deal with this on a case by case basis. Then again, what are you gonna tell the cops? Stop showing up to Suspicious Persons calls? Don't send 7 cops for a group of what, 3 people was it? I guess two cops per person in case they do turn out to be wanted criminals isn't too unreasonable, plus one extra just in case any other people get involved, or just to have an extra hand.

So, I don't know, I think this has to be blamed on the lady and there is nothing you can legally do about it. You could try contacting her and get her side of the story for us, and maybe you could have an influence on her future actions, or you might discover that this really was blown out of proportion, who knows? Unless you were there or know the whole story, then for all you know she may have had a good reason.

It's not like the cops tased them, right? They Just responded to the call? So, you cant cure stupid. People will Always be calling the cops for stupid reasons. Including racist reasons. Sorry Charlie.
edit on 5/14/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Very dangerous situation.

7 squad cars on scene screams bored cops looking for action.

Why is this even "news" in the first place?

Oh that's right, gotta keep the racial division going.

My bad.

I dont know...maybe its news because there's a segment of Americans (plenty on this very message board in fact) that will swear up and down that blacks arent discriminated in America?

In the last week or 2, what's this...like the 4th instance of a white person calling the cops on someone for....just being black....and existing?

#ing cops were called on a student at yale because she was **gasp** sleeping....while black.

Oh, they are discriminated alright. And they always will be. That's Never going to stop. Ever. And why should it? Blacks are not supposed to be a protected race. Why would they get any extra protections the rest of us don't have? Everyone is gonna experience discrimination. It's never gonna go away 100%. Not for me, not for you, not for anyone. There will always be ignorant people around. Everyone is ignorant of whatever they have not experienced.

So, I don't deny blacks are discriminated against in this country. They just aren't unproportionally discriminated against compared to anyone else. It might be different forms of discrimination. A black guy might get hassled by a gang of cops with guns, and across town a white kid is being bullied by a gang of blacks with guns. But that won't get reported... the kid probably won't even tell his mom about it. "Oh My God! Racism against Whites is alive and well in America!" Oh nobody cares about the little white boy going home from school crying cause of racist bullies? Well, I can guarantee you it happens every day, just like black discrimination. And guess what? Cops are killing way more white people than blacks, but, nobody cares, that's funny...

So, excuse me if I scoff at your pretend caring... *scoff*

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I would not jump straight on the race train......

I live in a well to do area.......And I have called the police on people who do not live at a neighbors house going into there backyard.....and they where WHITE! Apparently they had lost a cat down the road. But the reason I called was because we had some break ins in the area.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Race related or not, I believe it is, the bottom line is that this is motivated by fear. Welcome to Merica. I sure hope the Jehovah's Witnesses avoid that neighborhood.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

One confused and overly concerned old lady's reaction is cause for a national outcry?? 

I wished it were so, my news feed is filled with such incidents daily, and while it has been a problem, to me it seems an increase since Starbucks.
A Black Yale Student Was Napping, and a White Student Called the Police
mobile.nytimes.com...

This student was cramming for her paper and nods off.
Nordstrom Rack Apologizes to Black Teenagers Falsely Accused of Stealing
mobile.nytimes.com...

Native American Brothers Pulled From Campus Tour After Nervous Parent Calls Police
mobile.nytimes.com...

5 Black Women Were Told to Golf Faster. Then the Club Called the Police.
mobile.nytimes.com...

A lakeside party has been thrown at the location where a white woman called police on a black family – because they were barbecuing
www.independent.co.uk...

These are just a few that came across my feed, not mention YouTube vids of incidents that didn't make the news such as the young man going about his business, papers in hand and work sign on lawn on which he was inspecting with hopes of investing and flipping the property.

long came a white lady who told him to get the fk out of the neighborhood, he calmly tried to explain to her he,was there with the permission of the owner, did she give a fk??.. Nope!

She called the cops, cops arrived one squad car two cops, he showed his papers they were satisfied, and let him continued his work, lady the turned on the cops, the young man asked the cops to stay awhile for..his protection.

These ppl damn well know what can happen when you casually call the police on black ppl.
Maybe my feed algorithms is pushing these stories or like I said there is an uptick.

edit on 14-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here's a thought, why didn't she call her neighbor to find out what was going on?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Here's a thought, why didn't she call her neighbor to find out what was going on?

Nope! too easy and less drama.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And who said the burden of proof was NOT on them? It's like you're arguing with yourself , furrytexan, and ignoring everything I say in order to make yourself feel better about what you say.

And this is not like Europe? Who said anything about this being like Europe? What does that even mean? Can you explain how Europeans would have done this differently, in your opinion?

I have no problem coming back here and debating you texan but you have to remain on topic or at least if you quote my post, try to respond to something related to what I said.

Bottom line here is... black people moved into a neighborhood and an old white lady called the cops n them. Either she made it seem so bad or the neighborhood is so white, SEVEN cop cars had to respond.

To me, and to the attorneys, it seems there might be more to this than meets the eye. I don't know any more and you don't know any more, so please don't pretend to.

From now on, if you quote my text please reply to it, don't make stuff up that I cannot respond to.

edit on 14-5-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Well...and screw CNN.

In the first couple sentences you get the attorny with his wild race bait quoted withput support.

Buried at the bottom after clicking to read the rest of the story you get the police chief, with his evidence supported statement, buried near the end.

Based on the replies i can only assume most readers didnt make it that far, or simply chose to ignore it.

On the bright side, now we know that when people like Don Lemon accuse Trump of breaking the law it's motivated purely by racism. He's white, they're black, so there is obviously no other explanation for it.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Could you address the comments I made about your posts? Pretty please?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join