It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman says she called police when black Airbnb guests didn't wave at her

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

To be fair, that little tidbit isn’t mentioned anywhere in the CNN spinjob. Can’t imagine why.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Kharron

These people need to be forced to pay all attorney and related fees, when stuff like this happens.

Once their racism starts costing them what they value the most, maybe they'll learn to evaluate their bias before they act on it.

What people do you mean by "these people"?

The police?

The concerned neighbor?

Who, exactly, was in the wrong here and how were they in the wrong?

I'm replying to this post which means scared racist people, who call the authorities because other people don't have the same skin tone. Those people.

It's the topic of the thread, I don't know how you missed it.

And how was that old lady wrong? People she didnt know at her neighbors.....is it wrong to be concerned?

What did she do wrong? Why do you believe that skin tone was herreason?

Did you read the post, bigfatfurrytexan?

It states an elderly white woman called the cops on three black people because they didn't smile at her and that looked suspicious to her. It also states that they had another person, a fourth person with them, who happened to be white but the old lady didn't mention that person, only the three black people.

That means she was not worried about FOUR people who looked out of place, but THREE people of different skin tone.

Now, where I live, in WA State, this does not have to be explained. Are things different in Texas?

Here's a great quote from their attorney that I really liked,

"We don't want to live in an America where black people are forced to smile at white people to preserve their lives."

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Did you just ask me if i read the article? Because i was thinking the same. From the ops article, quoting the chief of police:

Kling also said the neighbor reported four individuals -- two black women, a black man and a white woman.

So do go on....tell me about this wretched racist woman.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Police then played audio of an officer's interview with the neighbor after she had been told the group were renters. She says they scared her.
"I see these strange people coming and going back and forth, you know, with luggage," she tells the officer.
He asks why she thought they were strange.
"Because they had luggage in their hand and they weren't really looking at me. You know, they just kind of avoided me, or they didn't wave ... And I know the couple that own the house, and I didn't recognize them."

She sees strange people carrying stuff out of a neighbors house and called the police. The nerve of some people, huh?

And folks wonder why no one helps each other anymore

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sharron

These people need to be forced to pay all attorney and related fees, when stuff like this happens.

Once their racism starts costing them what they value the most, maybe they'll learn to evaluate their bias before they act on it.

What people do you mean by "these people"?

The police?

The concerned neighbor?

Who, exactly, was in the wrong here and how were they in the wrong?

I'm replying to this post which means scared racist people, who call the authorities because other people don't have the same skin tone. Those people.

It's the topic of the thread, I don't know how you missed it.

And how was that old lady wrong? People she didnt know at her neighbors.....is it wrong to be concerned?

What did she do wrong? Why do you believe that skin tone was herreason?

Did you read the post, bigfatfurrytexan?

It states an elderly white woman called the cops on three black people because they didn't smile at her and that looked suspicious to her. It also states that they had another person, a fourth person with them, who happened to be white but the old lady didn't mention that person, only the three black people.

That means she was not worried about FOUR people who looked out of place, but THREE people of different skin tone.

Now, where I live, in WA State, this does not have to be explained. Are things different in Texas?

Here's a great quote from their attorney that I really liked,

"We don't want to live in an America where black people are forced to smile at white people to preserve their lives."

Is that sarcasm? Who's life was lost because they didn't smile at a white person?

Good god...the made up drama is LAUGHABLE.

edit on 5/13/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Did you just ask me if i read the article? Because i was thinking the same. From the ops article, quoting the chief of police:

Kling also said the neighbor reported four individuals -- two black women, a black man and a white woman.

So do go on....tell me about this wretched racist woman.

Looks like we're gonna quote the same article,

The three black guests -- Kelly Fyffe-Marshall, Donisha Prendergast and Komi-Oluwa Olafimihan -- were also traveling with a fourth guest, who is a white woman. But according to the their attorneys, the neighbor only told police about three suspicious black people. Police previously said the caller was an elderly white woman.

Which one is correct?

And yes, regardless of the spin you put on this... where I come from this is racial profiling. You just don't see this stuff happening here. Are things different in Texas?

Am I to understand that you're claiming old white people do not engage in racial profiling?

I know one thing, if I had seven cop cars called on me for being of different color, I would have retained an attorney as well. Wouldn't you?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Police then played audio of an officer's interview with the neighbor after she had been told the group were renters. She says they scared her.
"I see these strange people coming and going back and forth, you know, with luggage," she tells the officer.
He asks why she thought they were strange.
"Because they had luggage in their hand and they weren't really looking at me. You know, they just kind of avoided me, or they didn't wave ... And I know the couple that own the house, and I didn't recognize them."

She sees strange people carrying stuff out of a neighbors house and called the police. The nerve of some people, huh?

And folks wonder why no one helps each other anymore

You quote exactly what makes this wrong, and this is your argument?

Here, I'll re-quote it:

So, now old white people have to be waved at and they have to recognize you, or your everyday activity such as carrying luggage might end up in having cops called on you? Or they need to be white friends of the couple so they don't draw suspicion. Please.

No, this is not the America we need to live in -- we can do better than this.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You're aware how trigger happy cops are, right? You're aware they've entered wrong houses and killed wrong people, that they've been found to plant evidence after murdering people. You're aware there is a disproportionately large number of black people killed by the LEOs in this country, right? And that all these incidents are not isolated incidents but indicative of a larger problem with our law enforcement.

Tell me how being a black person and having SEVEN cop cars called on you is LAUGHABLE, as you put it. I don't know why I try. This should not have to be explained to adults, unless you guys are intentionally pretending to not get it.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm gonna correct myself on saying this does not happen where I live.

Yes, it does, but the reason is very clear when it does.

There are a lot of old white people here, who are very racist. And the cops here are not very nice and like to do things their way. Maybe it's where I live that makes me see the worst in these racist people.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You’re kind of ignoring the part where four strangers are carrying a bunch of stuff out of the caller’s neighbor’s house. People she knew weren’t her neighbors.

Yea, I don’t mind living in an America where if my neighbor sees people carrying stuff out of my house they’re going to call somebody. You seem to be accepting as gospel one side of the story while simultaneously ignoring the other side. The ignored side being the one that has body cam recordings and audio recordings, but the side you’ve gotten yourself into a froth over is the one that’s entirely opinions.

As for how “trigger happy” cops are, you might wanna look at some numbers on that one. A thousand people a year, usually less, killed by law enforcement. The overwhelming majority of whom are armed when killed. And that’s out of millions upon millions upon millions of police/civilian interactions a year.
edit on 13-5-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm not ignoring it. The article states that they're renters. They paid for the house.

Now, we don't have more information here but maybe this house is up for rent often, maybe it's not. Maybe this is the first time there were black renters and the lady thought it was suspicious. Maybe they've always been white before and there were never any issues, the owners didn't feel it necessary to forewarn the old lady of black people in the neighborhood.

We don't know any of this... we know black people rented a house, and an old white lady called the cops on them. The attorneys took the case because they obviously think there is one there.
edit on 13-5-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
And I'll repeat what I said in my first post, before I retire for the night.

There should be a law that forces such people to pay for all the attorney fees in cases of racial profiling. That means legally. That means these attorneys would have to win this case and prove what they are alleging.

Then it would be up to the lady to cover all of their expenses. It would make her think twice about scaring the bejeezus out of people for looking off-white.

G'nite.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

There are neighborhood watches nation wide. Neighbors watch each others homes. Elderly are reliant on neighbors keeping an eye on them.

What you suggest is so far beyond absurd that i have a hard time even being sure your not joking.

The only thing in this story that insinuates race is the attorney. In the face of proof otherwise.

Dig those heels in a little more.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

So their attorneys make wild ass claims that contradict the guy who listened to the 911 tapes? And you conveniently choose to believe this statement he pulled out of his own ass?

What happens when you hear the tape and are proven completely wrong?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Except we do have more information. You’ve just chosen to ignore it. The homeowner said this is the first time she’s rented her house out.

Marie Rodriguez, the owner of the Airbnb the group was renting, defended her neighbor's call to 911 and the police response. Rodriguez said it was the first time she rented out her home on Airbnb, and that her neighbor was concerned when she saw strangers packing up suitcases. The neighbor told Rodriguez that when she approached the group, they behaved strangely.

Just because you have elected to latch on to the spin job and run wild with it doesn’t mean the rest of us have. And yes, we should judge the merits of the case by the fact that attorneys have gotten involved. We all know attorneys are never out for headlines or fame, and only take cases because they’re all such pillars of righteous justice and altruism .

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Do you feel the same for people who pull the race card when it’s not about race?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

You're aware how trigger happy cops are, right? You're aware they've entered wrong houses and killed wrong people, that they've been found to plant evidence after murdering people. You're aware there is a disproportionately large number of black people killed by the LEOs in this country, right? And that all these incidents are not isolated incidents but indicative of a larger problem with our law enforcement.

Tell me how being a black person and having SEVEN cop cars called on you is LAUGHABLE, as you put it. I don't know why I try. This should not have to be explained to adults, unless you guys are intentionally pretending to not get it.

Oh, please.

I watched the body cam footage. Despite the unreasonable amount of time they were detained clearing things up, police were friendly and professional. At most, it was only an inconvenience.

You are profiling by acting like it's commonplace for black people to be murdered by police. It's not. It's actually very rare.

Lives depending on smiling at white people...what useless, overly dramatic crap and you were impressed by that? 🙄

Laughable.
edit on 5/13/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I'm gonna correct myself on saying this does not happen where I live.

Yes, it does, but the reason is very clear when it does.

There are a lot of old white people here, who are very racist. And the cops here are not very nice and like to do things their way. Maybe it's where I live that makes me see the worst in these racist people.

You seem to be assuming that the neighbor was motivated by racism. Would you make the same assumption if the neighbor was black and the renters were white?

If not, that would be racial profiling on your part, wouldn't it?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

So their attorneys make wild ass claims that contradict the guy who listened to the 911 tapes? And you conveniently choose to believe this statement he pulled out of his own ass?

I wanna leave but you keep pulling me back in.

The only wild ass claim here is that attorneys have a wild ass claim. I take it you have proof theirs is a wild ass claim and you know the outcome of this case?

I don't trust attorneys, but I trust cops less.

If I am proven wrong I will say I was wrong. How about you?

And what will I be wrong about? I stated that I thought people found guilty of racial profiling should be responsible, by law, to pay for all the attorney and related fees, in order to prevent repeat offenses based on how people look.

As to how that relates to this case... if she is not guilty, then she would not have to do anything. And if she is guilty of racial profiling, she would have to reimburse the attorneys and most likely the police and the taxpayers for wasting everyone's time.
edit on 13-5-2018 by Kharron because: edit to say: G'nite!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I wanna leave but you keep pulling me back in.

The only wild ass claim here is that attorneys have a wild ass claim. I take it you have proof theirs is a wild ass claim and you know the outcome of this case?

The burden of proof is on them. I suppose they can subpoena the 911 calls, or the police can release them. But since the chief of police is the only party of the 2 that has heard the 911 tapes, I can only trust that 1 of the 2 parties is making up stuff. Maybe the cop is too...but at the very least he has possession of and access to the recording of the call. Occams razor > bias.

If I am proven wrong I will say I was wrong. How about you?

I have a pretty solid history of not only owning my mistakes, but not making absolute comments that fly in the face of evidence. I play it safe because egg is a pain to wash off my face.

And what will I be wrong about? I stated that I thought people found guilty of racial profiling should be responsible, by law, to pay for all the attorney and related fees, in order to prevent repeat offenses based on how people look.

As to how that relates to this case... if she is not guilty, then she would not have to do anything. And if she is guilty of racial profiling, she would have to reimburse the attorneys and most likely the police and the taxpayers for wasting everyone's time.

No.

Absolutely not.

This isn't Europe. And we shouldn't be discouraging the elderly, who are among the most vulnerable among us, from contacting authorities when they feel endangered. 4 strange people carrying things out of a neighbors house, avoiding attempts at contact...that is when you either call the cops or investigate yourself.

Its not like we never hear about people being killed in their own home and then robbed. And with that as the counterbalance on the risk side of the equation, i fail to see how second guessing what this woman did is in any way appropriate.

ETA: i should add...the community I have just moved into has signs posted saying stuff like, "Lock your doors...don't be a victim" and "See something suspicious? Call us".

Its hard to make a case against someone who is encouraged to make that call.
edit on 5/13/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join