It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman says she called police when black Airbnb guests didn't wave at her

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

You're looking at it the wrong way...at least the media cares to report on minorities that are falsely suspected/accused/reported. They don't give a crap when it's a white person.

But it happens. It's happened to me and I am a white, middle-aged lady. A couple of months ago, someone called the police with my license plate number and said I was driving erratically. An officer came to my house to follow up on it. I couldn't think of anything I had done that would give someone the impression I was driving erratically.

I once had a neighbor call the police to report a domestic violence situation and it was just my husband playing video games with some friends and they were being loud. Those officers were rude dicks, too, but we just cooperated with them while they scoped out the scene, made their snide comments, and asked questions.

I also had cops come to my door and say they got a report of a domestic violence situation and it was just me at home with a sleeping baby.

So...if you look at it from another angle, at least the media seems to care enough to report when jacka$$es jump to conclusions about minorities and call the police.

edit on 5/14/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Not sure what your point is, but I've been reading the same stories and the only conclusion I can come to is that all of this is going to get a whole lot worse. Why? Because of the Yale incident!

I watched that report on the TV, and re-ran it several times and what amazed me was the age of the accuser! She was obviously in her mid to late 20's; a white millennial and from the way she talked it was obvious she had about as much "life experience" as a hermit! Yea, she was probably threatened by the race of the person she called the cops on, but as well it was obvious that she has a clearly defined set of beliefs about how people should behave and that set of beliefs was sorely offended, meaning...............people don't "nap" in public! Which may have made her believe the person was a homeless person who'd wandered in off the street.

What that whole incident said to me was that its very obvious that a large segment of the youthful white population has absolutely no idea about how to interact with people of different racial backgrounds. None!

That says a lot about the US. As an older white guy it may be wrong, but it seems logical to assume I'm a racist. But a 20 something white chick at Yale? Really? If that group is as racist as they appear to be, race relations in this country are doomed!

And truthfully, what's even more bizarre is how different race relations are from one part of the country to another. But I guess that's a story for a different day.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Commoner123

Any info would be appreciated?

I live in a remote part of West Texas. There are literally NO black people here. Its about 25/75 white to Hispanic, the Hispanic being the clear majority. Its happened on numerous occasions that my Hispanic neighbors, who are actually quite friendly, will call the cops in when they see ANYONE they don't know cruising the neighborhood. And they almost always call me before doing so to ask if I've noticed anything unusual.

Was the AirBNB incident in Cali racially motivated? Maybe, probably if its a predominantly Anglo neighborhood, who will ever really know. What this points out to me is a major flaw in the AirBNB model and why I'd never use it! Its tough enough to travel to a city in the US you've never visited before. But then to stay overnight in a residential neighborhood about which you know absolutely nothing while visiting? No thanks, I'll stay in a hotel!

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Kharron

Could you address the comments I made about your posts? Pretty please?

Yes, I promise I will. I'm driving around a lot today, I'll probably post a bit after work, in 5-6 hours.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

There's plenty of bias to go around. We should not ignore bias of white people, and we should not ignore the bias of black people, unfortunately reporting by many stations tend to be one sided.

I used to work at a group home for boys and would take some of the kids home for the weekends. One lived in Boston, and I had to follow very strict directions he gave me because if I went down the wrong street you didn't always come out if you were white.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Black people didmt move in. They were using lodging services via airbnb for a night. The home is owned by people the caler knows. And when she saw strange people hauling stuff out of her friends home she called the police.

The police response has nothing to do with her. She didnt make mention of race. The police have their own response protocols that are unrelated to the caller and your seemingly invented sense of alarm.

Everything i say when i quote you is related to what im quoting. If you have specific questions to help piece that together, ask me. Ill clarify.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Except we do have more information. You’ve just chosen to ignore it. The homeowner said this is the first time she’s rented her house out.

Marie Rodriguez, the owner of the Airbnb the group was renting, defended her neighbor's call to 911 and the police response. Rodriguez said it was the first time she rented out her home on Airbnb, and that her neighbor was concerned when she saw strangers packing up suitcases. The neighbor told Rodriguez that when she approached the group, they behaved strangely.

Just because you have elected to latch on to the spin job and run wild with it doesn’t mean the rest of us have. And yes, we should judge the merits of the case by the fact that attorneys have gotten involved. We all know attorneys are never out for headlines or fame, and only take cases because they’re all such pillars of righteous justice and altruism .

This is not from the original article, what source are you using for this quote?

Why not link the source if you're introducing new information?

Link it, I'll verify it and comment after work if it's worth commenting on.

And Shamrock, it should be common courtesy to just link your sources when you introduce new quotes to an ongoing conversation. That was not part of the article and you should have mentioned that, instead of making it sound like I was ignoring information.

Try to lead the conversation again this way by being dishonest or intentionally withholding information I will have to put you in that box of people who waste my time. I will do my best not to insult your intelligence, do me the same courtesy, please.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Black people didmt move in. They were using lodging services via airbnb for a night. The home is owned by people the caler knows. And when she saw strange people hauling stuff out of her friends home she called the police.

The police response has nothing to do with her. She didnt make mention of race. The police have their own response protocols that are unrelated to the caller and your seemingly invented sense of alarm.

Everything i say when i quote you is related to what im quoting. If you have specific questions to help piece that together, ask me. Ill clarify.

texan, I'l remind you what I was talking about and I'll repeat my questions as you seem to be conveniently ignoring them, while saying you will clarify.

You went on a rant how the burden of proof is on them. Agreed, I never mentioned this, you chose to talk about this twisting it to make it seem as if I wouldn't agree with this. I do, I stated that. The attorneys need to prove they are right and win the case, then it would be up to the lady or any person who costs everyone money due to their own racist tendencies to foot the bill.

Then you went on to say this is isn't Europe. And I said who said anything about Europe? And I asked you how you think Europe would have handled this since you decided to bring it into the conversation.

And then in reply to those two questions, you come here, answer neither of them, tell me the police has a right to respond any way they choose to and then act like I need clarification.

I do. Clarify this. Why is it so hard to stay on topic and comment on the words I type, instead of always going on a diatribe about things you choose to talk about, that are unrelated to what I said?

Who brought up burden of proof? Who brought up Europe? How does Europe even handle this, I don't know what you're talking about.

p.s. I'll check back after work, that was my whole lunch.
edit on 14-5-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Shame that most of your comment is directed at trying to complain about my lack of a link. Spending the amount of time you have debating about an issue without doing any research into it on your own is, in my opinion, ignoring information readily available. I have no problem providing a source when asked to do so.

But here's the article anyway.

Hopefully that's good enough for you to "verify" it and deem it worthy of acknowledging.

Try to lead the conversation again this way by being dishonest or intentionally withholding information I will have to put you in that box of people who waste my time. I will do my best not to insult your intelligence, do me the same courtesy, please.

Do as you like. Your intelligence was not insulted. Your lack of willingness to look at something on your own was highlighted, though.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Shame that most of your comment is directed at trying to complain about my lack of a link. Spending the amount of time you have debating about an issue without doing any research into it on your own is, in my opinion, ignoring information readily available. I have no problem providing a source when asked to do so.

But here's the article anyway.

Hopefully that's good enough for you to "verify" it and deem it worthy of acknowledging.

Do as you like. Your intelligence was not insulted. Your lack of willingness to look at something on your own was highlighted, though.

Quoting without a source and then making it seem like a poster was ignoring information is dishonest. Please stop being dishonest if you want my attention. I'll be honest with you in return.

But it looks like you had it and withheld it. Thanks for providing it, I'll read it and include it into my opinion and commentary when I get back home.

Cheers.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

So much time spent trying to argue about a link that you could have read by now.

Please stop being dishonest if you want my attention.

I don't particularly care whether you answer me or not, so the continued chastisement, especially after the link has been provided yet you continue to not read it, doesn't make much difference to me. I asked what I asked, and your failure to answer it in lieu of the line you've chosen to take hasn't gone unnoticed. Yes, I should have provided the link in the initial comment. That has been acknowledged and corrected. Move on, or don't.

But it looks like you had it and withheld it.

Not with any intent, so your fixation is a little strange.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I also had cops come to my door and say they got a report of a domestic violence situation and it was just me at home with a sleeping baby.

Were you trying to change a diaper and were told "no" from the child?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Just read the article .. more fake news from CNN to sow racial dissent, why am I surprised.

And I know the couple that own the house, and I didn't recognize them

I'd call the cops too.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I got that one, well played.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Horror!

Kharrons avatar = what most of us thought felt upon reading this.

Why is this news?
edit on 14-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Were you trying to change a diaper and were told "no" from the child?

Ha, no....the police left saying they wondered if the caller meant the 'West' end of my street and not the 'East' end where I live.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I didn't go on a rant, you asked me to prove something and my reply was that it wasn't up to me to prove it.

My statements regarding Europe relate to you believing that somehow the old lady should have legal repercussions if a judge deemed it so. In the US the first amendment is protected, and since the lady didn't file a false report (she did, in fact, see strange people carrying things out of her friends house) my only assumption was you made a comment that ignored the freedom of speech that people had. If not, then how do you propose that you will keep people from making police reports?

How would Europe handle this? Well...I suspect Europe doesn't have people who have made a living off of race baiting like we have in the US. So I'd suspect that it would never have made it to the news. If it did, it would be because someone thought the old lady performed a hate crime and she'd be in the same hot water as the dude with the Nazi dog.

If you read your last post to me you will find that I am responding to what you posted there. There is nothing off topic in what i am saying, nor is there anything I am typing to you that is not directly related to the post you had just made.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I didn't go on a rant, you asked me to prove something and my reply was that it wasn't up to me to prove it.

My statements regarding Europe relate to you believing that somehow the old lady should have legal repercussions if a judge deemed it so. In the US the first amendment is protected, and since the lady didn't file a false report (she did, in fact, see strange people carrying things out of her friends house) my only assumption was you made a comment that ignored the freedom of speech that people had. If not, then how do you propose that you will keep people from making police reports?

How would Europe handle this? Well...I suspect Europe doesn't have people who have made a living off of race baiting like we have in the US. So I'd suspect that it would never have made it to the news. If it did, it would be because someone thought the old lady performed a hate crime and she'd be in the same hot water as the dude with the Nazi dog.

If you read your last post to me you will find that I am responding to what you posted there. There is nothing off topic in what i am saying, nor is there anything I am typing to you that is not directly related to the post you had just made.

I asked you to prove something? I just read through all my posts in this thread and never did I ask you to prove anything. You mean you felt like had to prove something?

Don't mistake abusing public resources and scaring people with freedom of speech. If you call the police line frequently for no reason, they will charge you with a crime, it does not fall under freedom of speech. What I suggested would work exactly the same way -- if you abuse the public resources and use those services to intimidate people, you should be responsible for footing the bill for the fallout. Pretty common sense.

And thank you for clarifying what you meant when you mentioned Europe. I don't see how it connects with what we were talking about, but thank you for answering it. I do not know the laws of European countries enough to know whether they hold abuse of public services a crime or not; whether racism can be considered as such or not.

In re-reading the thread, I also found it interesting that your final post that I am quoting is the first time in this entire thread that anyone commented on what I was actually talking about -- repercussions for using the police as a tool of racism, if it turns out to be true. In this last post, you say you don't agree with it and you think it should be protected by freedom of speech. That is the first time anyone has been on topic with what I was talking about. Thank you.

Have a restful night.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian>>.> Racism can be funny. I was watching a video where a black woman was stopped for speeding in Virginia and threw a fit calling the white cop who stopped her a racist and how she feared for her safety. The police department countered with his badge cam video which made HER look like a racist idiot. So for every racist idiot there's a racist idiot who complains about racism.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
The only wild ass claim here is that attorneys have a wild ass claim. I take it you have proof theirs is a wild ass claim and you know the outcome of this case?

The request for proof.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join