It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman says she called police when black Airbnb guests didn't wave at her

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Bone75

Yeah...its a pretty dumb story. Those folks felt profiled. And it pissed them off. Where to place the rage, though.....

Well the OP made slight mention of it...

"Blacks do disproportionately commit crimes compared to whites"

That would be a good place to start.

That is a discussion I doubt you are prepared to have.

Assumptions flying all through this thread lol...

try me.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

First off, the title of the OP is misleading. She never said that she called the police because they didn't wave at her. The reason that she gave was that she knew the people that owned the place and she didn't recognize who these people were. Her mindset was that these people were carrying stuff to or from a place that didn't belong to them from her neighbor's home and they seemed to avoid attention. She was looking after her neighbor's place in her mind. More race bait. Seen a lot of it lately.

edit on 13-5-2018 by timequake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2018 by timequake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: EternalShadow

Why is this even "news" in the first place?

Yes why? Instead of taking this problem on we should just sweep it under the rug right? And you wonder why these divisions persist?

And what are you doing about it, other than trying to cause division with your on the nose posts?

Were you born with a dog whistle in your hand?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: timequake

First off, the title of the OP is misleading. She never said that she called the police because they didn't wave at her. The reason that she gave was that she knew the people that owned the place and she didn't recognize who these people were. Her mindset was that these people were carrying stuff to or from a place that didn't belong to them from her neighbor's home and they seemed to avoid attention. She was looking after her neighbor's place in her mind. More race bait. Seen a lot of it lately.

You'll notice that quite a bit with this OP in time.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Some of it, certainly.

But even on page one of this thread, we have people saying LE harassed these people and acted like idiots. The OP is doing a magnificent job of trying to spin this story every bit as much as CNN is. Saying LE overreacted because they sent multiple officers to a possible robbery in progress rather than just sending one officer out to question the caller.

The neighbors across the road from me are an older black couple. If I saw a bunch of younger white people carrying things out of that neighbor’s house, I’m probably going to wonder what’s going on. Immediately pulling the race card because a neighbor noticed people carrying luggage out of a house, and those people are a completely different race than the home owner, is a bit of a stretch. IMHO, anyway.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: EternalShadow

Why is this even "news" in the first place?

Yes why? Instead of taking this problem on we should just sweep it under the rug right? And you wonder why these divisions persist?

I don’t know you can consider the level of spin and hyperbole you inject into the story can be in any way called “taking the problem on.”

When you have to resort to spinning, distorting, or outright fabricating details of events to highlight a problem, you’re no longer “taking the problem on.”

You’re actively working against those who are trying to fix the problem.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

**Breaking NEWS!!***

THIS JUST IN>>>>>

Stupid people do stupid things.

Tune in next week, when we investigate whether water is wet or not..........

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Some of it, certainly.

But even on page one of this thread, we have people saying LE harassed these people and acted like idiots. The OP is doing a magnificent job of trying to spin this story every bit as much as CNN is. Saying LE overreacted because they sent multiple officers to a possible robbery in progress rather than just sending one officer out to question the caller.

The neighbors across the road from me are an older black couple. If I saw a bunch of younger white people carrying things out of that neighbor’s house, I’m probably going to wonder what’s going on. Immediately pulling the race card because a neighbor noticed people carrying luggage out of a house, and those people are a completely different race than the home owner, is a bit of a stretch. IMHO, anyway.

I don't know. I just know that outside of ATS, nobody seems angry at the police in these situations. At least nobody in my circles.

Also, my assumption was that she knew it was an Airbnb which means guests are expected and their skin color is what prompted the call. Why hasn't she called the police all the other times guests are leaving with luggage?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

She woulda called the police even if they smiled and waved back...

And you would've called her a racist even if they were robbing her neighbors.

I'll try the old 'smile and wave' test on her before I pass that judgment

edit on 13-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
These people need to be forced to pay all attorney and related fees, when stuff like this happens.

Once their racism starts costing them what they value the most, maybe they'll learn to evaluate their bias before they act on it.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The homeowner said it’s the first time she had rented her house out to anybody.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I read that the neighbor did not know it was an airbnb rental and by smiling and waving, her first thought was that maybe they were house guests...not thieves. Who waves at people they assume are thieves?

I doubt the neighbor expected so many police to show up, she probably thought they'd send a car to just check things out.

Plus, I think you are assuming the woman who called was not black...not that I know if she was or wasn't, but all these assumptions about the neighbor are no better than actual racial profiling.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'd say that it's just further evidence that profiling works.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
These people need to be forced to pay all attorney and related fees, when stuff like this happens.

Once their racism starts costing them what they value the most, maybe they'll learn to evaluate their bias before they act on it.

What people do you mean by "these people"?

The police?

The concerned neighbor?

Who, exactly, was in the wrong here and how were they in the wrong?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Yeah...its a pretty dumb story. Those folks felt profiled. And it pissed them off. Where to place the rage, though.....

Well the OP made slight mention of it...

"Blacks do disproportionately commit crimes compared to whites"

That would be a good place to start.

That is a discussion I doubt you are prepared to have.

Assumptions flying all through this thread lol...

try me.

Author the thread, shoot me a link, and we can have a go.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

The homeowner said it’s the first time she had rented her house out to anybody.

Fiiiiine. Y'all cheating by reading the whole article and stuff.

I'll stay out of this now.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The police?

The concerned neighbor?

I'm replying to this post which means scared racist people, who call the authorities because other people don't have the same skin tone. Those people.

It's the topic of the thread, I don't know how you missed it.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I imagine there's a lot more to this story than just this. And I hate to tell them, but anyone is free to call the police about anything they think is suspicious. She actually did the right thing, rather than get into an altercation with them directly. She might be some mean-spirited racist woman, or there might be a *lot* more to this. We'll never know, probably.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The woman did exactly the right thing. She saw something suspicious and reported it.
The only thing I see as racist are those bringing race into it, suggesting a white person can't find black people suspicious.

The police did over react. I don't see why a fleet of police cars were needed.

edit on 13/5/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The police?

The concerned neighbor?

I'm replying to this post which means scared racist people, who call the authorities because other people don't have the same skin tone. Those people.

It's the topic of the thread, I don't know how you missed it.

And how was that old lady wrong? People she didnt know at her neighbors.....is it wrong to be concerned?

What did she do wrong? Why do you believe that skin tone was herreason?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join