It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
a reply to: Krazysh0t

At least they didn't change the name to LBGTQ Scouts. Give it time.

What happens when the Islamics decide to join? Are we going to have a khaki colored bag to put over their head as part of the uniform?

There have been Muslims in the scouts for decades. They even have an Islamic scouting committee and other organizations.

www.muslimscouting.org...

Their bake sales are the bomb...

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

*mic drop*

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Feminists: Hey ! Look over there ! There's an inclusive boys only organization ! That can't be allowed ! They need to let girls in too !

Boy Scouts of America: Hiya...well there are Girl Scouts available you know ?

Feminists: It's not the same, there are girls that want to partake in the activities that the boys do !

Boy Scouts of America: Can't we just be left alone ?

Feminists: NO ! That's sexist and discrimination !!!

Boy Scouts of America: OK...fine...I suppose that's fair.

Feminists: You should change the name as well

Boy Scouts of America: Seriously ?(sigh) ok....

10-20 Years Later....

Feminists: Scouts of America is a Patriarchal male interest dominated organization that only focuses on toxic male type activities ! This needs to stop and they must offer more inclusive interests, activities, and events for their female scouts !

(Former Boy) Scouts of America: SOB !!!!!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

What happens when the Islamics decide to join? Are we going to have a khaki colored bag to put over their head as part of the uniform?

There have been Muslims in the scouts for decades. They even have an Islamic scouting committee and other organizations.

I meant the Muslim women that wear those head coverings.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

hey i took five seconds out of my day to google and it looks like they are scouts and wear their head coverings. so?

maybe take a few to research before you rant, you might learn a thing. or at least save some bandwidth.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I meant the Muslim women that wear those head coverings.

We will let them join to.

Why not?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I took your advice and googled Muslim Boy Scouts. Not too many women. I also checked Muslim Scouts. Looked at print articles and the images.

The ones that I did see turned out to be Muslim Girl Scouts. Yes, they did wear a head covering but it was not uniform colors, mostly white. maybe I didn't get the right key words. You made it sound like I would find it in five seconds.

So, I don't know. Maybe you could post a link.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Falenor
Feminists: Hey ! Look over there ! There's an inclusive boys only organization ! That can't be allowed ! They need to let girls in too !

Feminists: It's not the same, there are girls that want to partake in the activities that the boys do !

10-20 Years Later....

Feminists: Scouts of America is a Patriarchal male interest dominated organization that only focuses on toxic male type activities ! This needs to stop and they must offer more inclusive interests, activities, and events for their female scouts !

:LOL: Hilarious....... but sad and true in the same breath.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I grew up in a suburban town. We had boy scouts and also a boys club. I was a member of both.

The boys club had basketball, a few nice pool tables, a weight room, and boxing. If you got into a fight, you were given boxing gloves and told to sort it out that way. The Boys Club changed to the Boys and Girls Club. The entire character of the place changed. They had a computer room and indoor basketball, field trips. Many would applaud this change. I don't think it's bad to have a place like this but I still think there should be a place to cultivate the more manly aspects of a young boys life.

I'm expecting the Scouts to go the same way.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Boy Scouts has been about developing better citizens, not men. If your program was about "building men", you were doing it wrong.

Girls between the ages of 14 and 18 have been a part of the BSA for a generation now. Seems to work okay. I don't see how including other ages is going to make it broken.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Edumakated
So instead of making the GIRL scouts offer more activities like camping and survival, we are going to force the boy scouts to admit girls.

This is very similar to a comment I made elsewhere.

I can sympathize with girls who want to actually scout. The Girl Scouts are much more domestically oriented. The Boy Scouts do things I would much rather have done as a girl - camping, pine wood derby, etc.

However, I think it would be better to have mirror programs: one for girls and one for boys. They do pretty much the same activities, but the groups are separate. The reason this would never happen is because too many people think that gender is a brain thing and not a physical body reality thing.

I can see that and fully understand what you're saying. I have two daughters that we're camping, fishing, canoeing since they we're toddlers. I know they would have rather be doing that than having a bake sale.

I like your idea on how they should merge.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

originally posted by: Falenor

10-20 Years Later....

:LOL: Hilarious....... but sad and true in the same breath.

It really isn't true at all.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Why can´t the Girl Scout team come up with the same stuff the Boy scout teams does, if girls like it that much? Seems to be a problem on their side if girls don´t want to do the things they are supposed to do by the imagination of the Girl Scout leaders?

Instead of fixing something, let´s smash another thing, that´s how it sounds. Again I can see both sides but nowadays, why does everything needs to be "one-size fits them all".

Maybe boys like to stay with boys exclusive sometimes, just like girls want to, too.

Next thing is, men´s club will be sued because they won´t take womens as members? Exchange men´s club with anything that is exclusive to women (like women´s shelter for example).

Oh and before someone says "well a women´s shelter is not the same as a men´s club". No it is not. I took this as an example because it shows that women are not 100% equal to men, regardless what others might dream up.

Thousands of years the roles were (except for that example, someone will bring up, Amazones or whatever) fixed for natural reasons. It just had to go wrong with our technological advancement and pushing women into workplaces that fast.

That threw everything heal over heads, it produced an artifical loan dumping and now we´re stuck with both men and women who need to work fultime to survive with extra expenses on child care. That directly reflects onto our youth.

And today we have mid 30 year old carreer women who suddenly realize their biologic clock is ticking away. They realize that that train has left and they are not happy. Women have much more pressure growing up than men have. They have to get their life in order quick and maybe squeeze a career in between and then have kids if they want.

As tragic as this example is, it´s the truth. Not so long ago, the women was basically the boss at home when it came to food handling, cooking and house-hold related stuff. That´s a real fultimejob keeping a huge family together.

But today, 1-2 kids is barely affordable even if both parents work fulltime.

Disclaimer: I´m not saying women stay behind the stove, I´m just narrating the history of the last decades that I noticed.

I can only speak for the UK and it's been mixed gender for years now, simply called 'The Scouts'.
They do loads of stuff like kayaking, sailing, rock climbing, hiking, orienteering, Bush craft and much more. The 'Girl Guides' do very little of that which is why girls find it boring.

In any case, the scouting organisation decided to become mixed gender, it wasn't forced, so I say good luck to them. Anyone is free to form a new exclusively boys club if there is demand for it.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I´m with you on that (wrote it in my first post here) get them girls to camp (like it´s done here).

However I´m also saying, that it should also be okay to have a boys or girls only camp. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

i'm pretty sure you could extrapolate from how the muslim girl scouts have adapted their dress to their uniform that it would be similar in the boy scouts. or maybe you're just being deliberately difficult.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

See?

This is why I think there is value in a scouting program for girls, but also in keeping the groups gender segregated.

Girls do want to do scouts, but boys do get value out of just being with other boys in social groupings.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
What if a boy scout wants to join the girl scouts. Will they change their name to accomadate hurt feelings? Highly unlikely. This is just another example of man hating.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
However I´m also saying, that it should also be okay to have a boys or girls only camp. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I agree, and there is nothing stopping anyone setting up a club/camp for just boys or just girls, heck my son went to an all boys school, they still exist in Britain.
They would meet up with the girls school for some organised mixed gender activities, like performing arts and social events after hours, but daily education was (and continues) in two separate campuses. Incidentally both schools have the best academic results and behaviour records in the area. Certainly, removing the sexual distraction of the other gender(s) is a factor in adolescents and their learning experience.

So yes, I'm all for gender specific organisations where it is appropriate and wanted by any community, but if a group wishes to be mixed gender I support their right to do so.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
What if a boy scout wants to join the girl scouts. Will they change their name to accomadate hurt feelings? Highly unlikely. This is just another example of man hating.

In the UK the 'Girl Guides' is the equivalent which was started by Baden Powell's sister (the guy who formed the original scouts), and they remain exclusively for girls, with no apparent wish to change that either.
The 'Scouts Association" became mixed gender years ago here because there was massive interest from girls. There is not massive interest from boys wishing to join Girl Guides so they remain gender specific.

I don't believe it is 'man hating' in this decision by BSA, simply market forces when membership of such groups has been falling year on year.
I do think they should have just done as in the UK and call the organisaion simply Scouts of America though.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
boys do get value out of just being with other boys in social groupings.

Boys also get value out of mixed gender clubs by learning how to interact well with girls.
It cuts both ways.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join