It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
What if a boy scout wants to join the girl scouts. Will they change their name to accomadate hurt feelings? Highly unlikely. This is just another example of man hating.

It's an example of a private organization making choices for themselves.

You don't have to like it, but their right remains.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

That's exactly how I see it as well.
Anyone moaning and whining about it is free to set up their own gender exclusive club or organisation if they wish.
...but as the 'Boy Scouts' discovered, there is falling demand so they went mixed gender instead.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: introvert

That's exactly how I see it as well.
Anyone moaning and whining about it is free to set up their own gender exclusive club or organisation if they wish.
...but as the 'Boy Scouts' discovered, there is falling demand so they went mixed gender instead.

Demand. Very important word.

They are restructuring it's model after a long period of decreased membership and a drop in revenue.

We can talk all day about how the scouts build character and all that bull#, but at the end of the day their goal is to bring in money.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
They are restructuring it's model after a long period of decreased membership and a drop in revenue.

We can talk all day about how the scouts build character and all that bull#, but at the end of the day their goal is to bring in money.

Very true, and including girls has probably been a very good business move. I can see why the Girls Scouts are pissed about the decision, they will lose potential members as a result, I don't doubt that for a second.
Curiously though, here in the UK both Girl Guides (exclusively girls) and Scouts (mixed gender) have roughly equal membership at around half a million each, so it seems there is a demand for girl only activities, enough for them to continue excluding boys at least.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: introvert

Very true, and including girls has probably been a very good business move. I can see why the Girls Scouts are pissed about the decision, they will lose potential members as a result, I don't doubt that for a second.
Curiously though, here in the UK both Girl Guides (exclusively girls) and Scouts (mixed gender) have roughly equal membership at around half a million each, so it seems there is a demand for girl only activities, enough for them to continue excluding boys at least.

I'm sure the girls scouts are pissed. The more free labor they can put on the streets to sell stuff, the more they make. Hard to do that if they join the boy scouts.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If the girls scouts were a proper “scouting” organization and not a cookie mafia this probably wouldn’t have happened. Seize the opportunity.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Pmsl Cookie Mafia!!
It must be a US thing though, I've never seen or heard of UK Girl Guides selling cookies or cakes.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I know folks are all up in arms over this....but i cannot see how its bad.

Survival skills are something we all should have. Social etiquette and team building benefit everyone.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Massively agree.
Army, Air, and Sea cadet forces here in the UK have been mixed gender since I was a kid, the Scouts did the same here around the same time. They completely switched the name to "The Scouts" and by all accounts it has been a success.
I was never a scout, I joined Sea Cadets because (like the other cadet organisations) they do the same as Scouts but you get to fire rifles, fly in aircraft, submerge in nuclear submarines, and other cool stuff. Cheap labour as well, ah yes "Battleship Grey" paint, I've no idea how many litres of that I brushed on various frigates and destroyers lol

EDIT
As lame and indoctrinated as it may sound, I actually felt proud painting over rust on Royal Navy ships when we had 'residential' fortnights alongside or off-shore. I felt part of something bigger than the individual...and I expect Scouts get a similar feeling from their organisational 'family'.
edit on 4-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I know folks are all up in arms over this....but i cannot see how its bad.

Survival skills are something we all should have. Social etiquette and team building benefit everyone.

Exactly. Not every debate needs to come down to SJW encroachment. Sometimes bringing both genders together when they've been traditionally separated is a good idea for all.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Men that I know have no use for a prom queen.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Men that I know have no use for a prom queen.

Depends on the prom queen, I know a few beauties who can start a fire and build a shelter the same as the best can.
One good friend in particular, ex RAF, she'd knock plenty of blokes out in a fight, yet she's not gay, and loves her sparkly eye-shadow. She's like the perfect girl, but gutted, she's in love with a mate of mine so lucky himlol
edit on 4-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
a reply to: toms54

hey i took five seconds out of my day to google and it looks like they are scouts and wear their head coverings. so?

maybe take a few to research before you rant, you might learn a thing. or at least save some bandwidth.

I'm being difficult?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They should have just created an organization and called it "Girl Scouts". instead of changing the Boy Scouts.

Just my opinion.

It's possible that there is not enough girls to form their own Girl Scouts. Therefore, it might just be easier to include the few girls who want to camp, learn skills, and other stuff.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They should have just created an organization and called it "Girl Scouts". instead of changing the Boy Scouts.

Just my opinion.

It's possible that there is not enough girls to form their own Girl Scouts. Therefore, it might just be easier to include the few girls who want to camp, learn skills, and other stuff.

The new "scout" motto

"Be prepared"

It is the same motto, except it is now available at the scouting website merchandise printed on the wrapper of a condom.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
I'm being difficult?

yes, i am being snarky, and you are being difficult -- read, deliberately obtuse.

they're both time-honored traditions on the internets though, so... cheers?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Some of the best commercial cookies ever!!!

I, especially, like the lemony ones. But they're all good.

So long as I can still get 'em every year, I don't particularly care what they call themselves...

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Lol, sounds like illicit drugs, Girl Scouts maybe getting concreted into new highways for stealing a cut.
The Boy Scouts knew the girls ran the market so gave in.
...so much for Be Prepared.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I hadn't looked at it that way...

...and they're girls, silly boy scouts never had a chance!

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So if girl scouts was formed to be communist and scouts to be capitalist then what does this change mean for the future of the usa.
How will this effect us decades from now.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join