It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING** Shooting confirmed at High School in Maryland, facility on lockdown

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Not attacking you, just pointing out both sides are trying to score political wins with the lives of kids, and not looking to do the hard stuff....like enforcing the laws already on the books. It is all bark and no bite....my original post was to say that hey, this is a viable option while we work on fixing our culture.

It is not the guns...it is a loss of respect, both for others and individuals. Life has no value anymore. We need to have morals, and standards that respect those around us, not focusing on just me..... We need parents to not be their kids' friends, but to be their parent. We need discipline, and not participation awards. We need to help kids learn to deal with heartbreak, pain, sadness...how to deal with the bad things in life in a healthy productive way instead of blaming someone else we need to teach them how to accept their own failures and how to learn and grow from adversity.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Kudos to the School Resource Officer. His quick action likely saved many students' lives.

This shows how the events at Parkland could have ended much differently if the SRO had not been such a coward.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Must be a false flag to illustrate how great guns are.

See how dumb similar statements are now?

Unfortunately both sides are once again going to miss the point. This is not a single issue problem. It goes much deeper to the core of our society.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: theatreboy

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree.

But if we're going to start awarding points to Trump and the NRA because an SRO did his job, that begs the question of how many points do we deduct when an SRO doesn't do his job.

Begging the question is a logical fallacy.

That being said, awarding points over the corpse of innocents is pretty disgusting behavior in general.

But it ok to use the kids from Parkland to score political points for the anti gun lobby?
Why not accept the fact that the kids are pushing the agenda themselves? I mean really...they're old enough to buy guns, but not old enough to be taken seriously when they take umbrage at getting shot? Seriously?
These kids are not driving this by themselves. CNN orchestrated an entire production and gave those kids talking points. The kids are def on board, but they did not organize any of this without professional help. They have the backing of an entire political party. The DNC is fundraising for them.
I do believe that the kids submitted their statements to CNN, who chose the ones to air. Production does not have to mean censorship...unless you'd like to carry the discussion over to FOX.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So that would leave the poorer communities SOL.

Sorry, just saw this.
Yes it seems that it would.
There is still a school in a nearby county that contains grades k-12. I've been there for games and it is small. The gym is essentially a shed but I think that the counties around would be willing to help them out if cost is an issue.
Or I would like to believe that anyway. I don't personally have a lot but am willing to do what I can.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I see. Is that why none of the kids reflected a different viewpoint? We know kids from Parkland had different viewpoints and submitted their statements.

But CNN decided this would only be on their preferred narrative. No kids at Parkland defend the right to keep and bear.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It was a boyfriend, girlfriend,and ex boyfriend.....school safety officer stopped him , it wasn't a school shooting ,it was a shooting at a school.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Most states must not have funding like Kansas where all the schools would have the measures or the Supreme Court would force it.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
This is not a single issue problem. It goes much deeper to the core of our society.

Well, it takes a village to raise a child, remember?

But when the village is Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and selfies, then you see the problem.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I didn't get the details, but one of my coworkers was pretty upset about a gun being brought to the hometown school where her nephew's son attends. Not a hundred percent sure, but I think she's from New Brunswick, Canada. Last she heard, the school was on lockdown yesterday.

I tried searching for links to any info on it and didn't see anything pop up for March 19. I'll have to ask her if she's on-shift tonight.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I'd be interested to learn if that's over and above an overtime rate, or how they're going to work that out with specific agencies.

Where I'm at, any secondary employment has a minimum pay requirement (along with a whole bunch of other requirements like insurance, scheduling, liability, etc) that are all on the secondary employer to provide. $50 a day isn't even close to covering the pay requirement here.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

oh well that settles it. nothing to see here folks just your everyday run of the mill shooting at a school.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
It was a boyfriend, girlfriend,and ex boyfriend.....school safety officer stopped him , it wasn't a school shooting ,it was a shooting at a school.

Ah ha! The fix is in!

Nothing to see here, move along now... it wasn't a school shooting, the earth is flat and Donald Trump is still the antichrist and, we're still going to confiscate your guns...

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Motives are different.

School shooting is just killing as many as you can randomly because you hate. This seems a crime of passion and jealousy and targeting specific people -- your ex, her new boyfriend.

Both are horrific crimes, but the second one is more understandable than simply killing because ... reasons.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Thank heavens there was a guy with a gun onsite - it could have turned out like Florida, with kids left unprotected from a lunatic.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Shooters should never leave alive. flame-on

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I grew up close on the St. Mary's River. I lived on that river growing up, and attended that school.

Back then Great Mills was a Navy town, and was a upper middle class, predominately White community.

I haven't been back there in a very long time and most of the people I know from there have long gone also, so I don't know what the place is like now. I am sure I will be making contact with old friends and family because, death and sickness are the two sure fire ways to bring people back together.

Can't say much more than that because local news is not reporting much on it, which I am very pleased to see. These events aren't going to stop as long as they can command 24 hour, 7 day a week coverage, putting a young person with little to no self esteem on the global map for weeks.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

But those are a good piece to the puzzle, and they will help protect students.

We can't expect a one-size-fixes-all solution.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Not being snarky, not trolling, and trying not to be critical, but why aren't the parents stepping up?

If this had happened when I was attending GMHS, my mother would have been at that school. There would have been an emergency PTA meeting and every parent would be checking their kids, walking their child to class if they thought another child was a risk because they didn't have a parent that was checking their kid. I know this because we had an unfortunate incident at the school when I was attending it, and the parents took charge. They asked for answer, accountability and they put their children in check.

Of course when I attended the school the teachers had a lot more control of the students and they commanded a lot more respect.

I know, "corporal punishment is abuse". "Nobody better put their hand on my kid". I get it. What I don't get is why if people care so much about their children, if they are so protective of their children, why don't they know what their children are doing with all that money they are handing over to them? Why don't they know what their cjhildren are doing, where they go, who they hang out with?

By the time my parents got home they could tell me every place I went, who I talked to, and how long it took me to get home, and my parents worked almost an hours drive from our home. How did they do this? Community and nosy ass neighbors. They reported on almost every step we made, and if we were stupid enough to do something we had no business doing, they would paddle our behinds. What would my father do if he found out a neighbor hit me? He paddled my behind again.

Don't want anyone touching your child? Then "you" touch your child. Son't want anyone to criticize your child? Then you teach your child. Because if you don't, you may have the misfortune of having to bury your child.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Im not much of a conspiracy guy, but here we are having more and more frequent things pushing this agenda.

They say they want to save kids, but why arent we talking real solutions to stop shooters? Simple and cheap things like:

I thought we wanted to save kids? Why arent we taking the most common sense, cheapest and most IMMEDIATE measures we could implement TOMORROW to do so?

We arent doing these simple things , were just talking about taking guns, and youre telling me theres no agenda here?

The simple devices above keep a shooter locked in a room or in a hallway with no way to get into a room full of kids, and at the mercy of whatever armed professional is around.

Why, WHY arent these being MANDATED to be had in school like OSHA mandates safety measures for construction sites?

Why? because its not about the kids for the left, its about the damn AGENDA

I'd say it probably has more to do with funding than anything else. Schools in America are sorely underfunded so most can't even afford current textbooks, let alone preventative measures like the ones pictured in your comment.

We should fund schools well enough to teach their students correctly and protect them. Without doing that, the only solution is to petition the government to change things. Which is stupid because those preventative measures in your comment are so simple, and would work so well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join