It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

No, we really can't afford to not look into things like this. Was the warrant and arrest legitimate? Can't yet tell based on the information.

The questions today and in the weeks to come are not easy. We don't want an invasive government watching every stupid thing we post online and making decisions about our motives or violent capabilities.

I realize the Florida shooting is still fresh thus the reactions. However, I'd like you to think back on all the political disagreements you may have had and if you've heard anything that could be construed as a threat. Not only to you but perhaps a political figure. Maybe even made one yourself.

Should you or they be arrested and your home invaded to validate what could have amounted up to a heated argument?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

An arrest is not charges though, they make an arrest, due to the nature of the threat, if after talking to him(gathering information) they feel confident he is no threat, he will be kicked loose..no harm done.
I wouldn't blame the authorities for not taking any chances..maybe this guy won't be so f'ing stupid in future.
Are they still holding him?..maybe he was a threat, not sure if that's been determined.
edit on 21-2-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I don't take argument with that at all. An arrest is not charges but it is to remove the person from the situation and probable cause.

The rifle used in the photo was not found. Perhaps they found something else, granted.

What if they didn't? What if there is no rifle and there is no other evidence that will point toward any violence before or to come.

Is the consensus ok with a warrant and arrest happening this quick?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I think they had probable cause, based on some of the info on the laws, provided by a few members. And of course these laws are probably subject to interpretation via the judge..as to what constitutes a threat.
I don't think it's that unusual to detain/arrest someone if they are going to do a search for a weapon. The fact no weapon was found might invite more questions from LE.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

So, going on only known information, the phrase "I'm thinking of going back to school," with the picture of a firearm is probable cause. So much that it results in a warrant, arrest and seizure of property.

Think about that.

Granted, this seems to be the extreme minority opinion but that doesn't stick out to me as cause enough probable for the actions of law enforcement.

Also, does this apply in any other scenario?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Rights, freedoms, should never be judged through an emotional lens.

Everything has context.

I've had plenty here tell me that, "We still have free speech, just watch what you say or someone will arrest you!"

Which tells me that free speech left the building with Elvis.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think we both know that rights aren't equal and free as claimed across the board.

It's worrying how much will still be given up over very trivial things.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Well if there were no school shootings lately ..maybe not. I really think the recent events have prompted extreme due diligence, especially after the complete lack of diligence with Cruz. We can't forget this guy brought it on himself..IMHO
Like I said in an earlier post..bad events can change presidents.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I can understand your intentions clearly. To be honest, I don't know if they are wrong or not as I certainly am not an expert in the matter.

However that post comes across that it is ok to violate rights sometimes when the reasoning makes sense. That's not a good thing, IMO of course.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

But were his rights violated?, he has not been charged..so far as I know. He has not been punished per se. A lot of people get arrested in the course of an investigation, only to be released, I don't know that their right's were violated..I'm certainly no expert either.
I get the gist of what you are saying..it can be a slippery slope, I still think they had "just enough" cause.
These are tricky legalities that usually get sorted out by lawyers and law proffesors

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Let's not over look this part of the report:

According to police Rankin made a post Monday night on his Instagram account that included a picture of an AR-15 assault rifle and the comment “I’m thinking about finally going back to school”. Upon seeing the post, people who know Rankin became concerned and notified the Texarkana Texas Police Department.

So this wasn't a police saw and did, but rather that people who know the guy reported it to the authorities. So far this seems like the Grandmother issue in Washington State, people who know a person being concerned and reporting it. What's the problem, where's the issue of future crimes, why the outrage over people worrying the safety of others? looks to me that this persons friends and family that knows him made the complaint, and not an overly proactive police.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Good point, and probably relevant.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Well he has been detained and his property confiscated. Those are both violations of rights IF there is not probable cause. To me, the instagram posting would not be enough although I do think it is worthy of a bunch of questioning which did happen and could have exposed much more. We don't know.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Quite possibly. Also possible that those who reported it didn't like him much.

What's the problem, where's the issue of future crimes, why the outrage over people worrying the safety of others?

Suppression of rights for safety has been the wrong road to take since 2001 and continues to be.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I didn't know they seized anything..computer?..ahh I reread the link in the OP, other weapons in the household.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes. Weapons that were not only not his, but not involved in any crime (that we know of).

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Wayfarer

Should we go through ATS and find all of the veiled threats for certain political members? The scalise shooting wasn't that long ago.

Depends, did any of them post pictures of the weapons they were going to use to do it?

Shouting fire in a theater is punishable by law as well, do you believe it shouldn't be?

Why exactly does a photo take precedence over description of a weapon?

Also, the rifle in the photo wasn't found on the premises per the article.

This ones easy. Its establishes 2 points of threat, verbal and an implement to carry out the threat.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

An implement that was not found and a threat to no one in particular.

Also, only a threat due to recent events if that was the intent.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Gotcha, in the context of what they are investigating, I'm not surprised they were seized, I'm sure they will be returned.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Quite possibly. I do hope there is a follow up to this story but I'm not holding my breath.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join