It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Free speech doesn't include threats. If some internet troll hasn't learned that one, his problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Should we go through ATS and find all of the veiled threats for certain political members? The scalise shooting wasn't that long ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Intent could be assumed based on the statement.

Then again, his mental state could be questioned for making such a statement at this time.

There is no reason to not investigate either based on the evidence available regarding some of his reputation. Its not like he was trying to keep to himself and the cops just busted in and started messing with him. He made provocative public statements, and they did what they were intended to do: provoke.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That sounds like simple assault here, but this is PA not TX

It is just disturbing to see the trend moving in this direction, to me any way. Free speech has been a fundamental test of liberty for centuries

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've not claimed nor do I disagree with that he shouldn't be investigated.

The story timeline doesn't leave much room for one however.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

All they have to do is stop prescribing questionable combinations of mental health drugs and we wouldnt have half as many shootings.

In this case if there was no charge or a frivolous one then the young man needs to sue everybody into the poor house.

A cop could have had some coffee with the guy in the morning and talked to him as they went over the property.

Did they even try that?

edit on 2 21 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Trouble is, tadaman, that the alternatives offered by the mental health provisions available in the US, are "Take these drugs, or we note that you refused our help and we ignore your existence for the rest of your natural life".

The people who really need to be off the street, but will not benefit from drugs, need to be offered, and in some cases, invited without possibility of refusal, institutional care.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

www.thedenverchannel.com...

DENVER – At least three Colorado students face misdemeanor charges for making threats to their schools this week, just days after 17 people were shot and killed at a Florida high school.

Several school districts across the state stepped up security this week after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. last week, but students in Jefferson County and Mesa County were issued charges relating to threats Monday and Tuesday.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

LAKEWOOD, Colo. - A student is in police custody after posting a threat of violence against a Jefferson County school on social media.

JeffCo Public Schools said the district received several reports about the threat against Bear Creek High School late Tuesday night. Officials said the threat was posted on social media but they did not provide any further details.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

99% of the time "terroristic threat" applies to either someone bomb threating, or someone making a credible threat to beat someone up.

I used to run a call center. Pissed off former employees would call in bomb threats about twice a year.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: PuRe EnErGy
It's only going to get worse EVERYWHERE, before it gets "better" ....

And it should. This isn't a game.

Enough school shooting. Everyone of these clowns needs to made an example of.

If they need to learn the hard way then too bad. It doesn't matter if they "werent really going to do it".

Enough is enough.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Should we go through ATS and find all of the veiled threats for certain political members? The scalise shooting wasn't that long ago.

Depends, did any of them post pictures of the weapons they were going to use to do it?

Shouting fire in a theater is punishable by law as well, do you believe it shouldn't be?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

i am into the sport of airsoft and an amatuer photographer but i never post picture of myself or the equipment i use or the people i play with most of whom are in military. one of my friends who was a marine took a selfie with his gear while in a old pair of utilities with a disparaging remark out our upcoming opponents someone took the picture to his co because they did not realize it was airsoft guns and not real military equipment he got questioned by his co and we invited him to come to that weekends skirmish and we let him borrow some gear he had a blast. but because of that none of us post pictures geared up and we don't gear up till we get to skirmish location so nobody calls cops.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Blaine91555

Only threats that hurt at the time? Or all threats?

In this case it's laid out in the LINK you provided.

I read it varies from State to State, but assault can be just a threat of violence or bodily harm in many State's for both civil and criminal law.

In this case the arrest made perfect sense to me and apparently to the judge who issued the warrant.
edit on 2/21/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Now you are really stretching credibility with your argument. I know you're playing the devils advocate in this discussion, but

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Aaaand free speech just died.

Nah you can say anything you want, however reaction to what people say is another thing.

Speak wisely, or not at all.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Are we seeing the beginnings of thought crimes?

But it's more than just a "thought." If It was simply a "thought," no one would know, but he stupid # posted to social media, which can be (as was) construed as a potential threat (that should be looked into and taken seriously).

Had LE not done anything, and had he ended up shooting up a school or anywhere else, people would be saying "But why didn't they do anything?!?!"

Dumbass shouldn't be posting this # to social media if he didn't want a visit and/or an arrest, especially in today's climate.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Depends, did any of them post pictures of the weapons they were going to use to do it?

Shouting fire in a theater is punishable by law as well, do you believe it shouldn't be?

Why exactly does a photo take precedence over description of a weapon?

Also, the rifle in the photo wasn't found on the premises per the article.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Get your orange tips on!!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Now you are really stretching credibility with your argument. I know you're playing the devils advocate in this discussion, but

How though? Seriously.

Whether it's a horrible joke or a threat is rather subjective, no? More information would be required.

I don't think it stretches credibility at all. In little over 24 hours a warrant and an arrest was made based off of an instagram photo and a statement.

Imagine this applying anywhere else? Again, given only the available information.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Keep in mind, I'm not claiming that nothing should have been done nor do I condone the actions of this guy.

However, in little over 24 hours he was warranted and detained. Think about that.

The "what if" in this scenario is that this could apply to anything else of hot topic and should we proceed as such.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join