It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe people should just stop posting vieled threats using the internet? This is literally an internet only problem.

See because, if you were hanging out at a coffee shop and simply said this out loud to your good friend while thinking aloud about a semi-auto rifle, nothing would happen. There would not be 100 million people to view and share your thought, there would not be an easy digital footprint for authorities and hackers to trace your identity and visit your home address provided by your ISP. Or surveillance cameras and facial recognition to ID you if posted from a coffee shop.

The internet has seriously infantalizied all of you. It is not a thought crime because it was not stuck in your head. A thought stays in your head. Once you post it to the world (the internet), it is no longer a thought, it becomes a statement. Thoughts do not leave your head. Posting on the internet is the exact same as if you were saying it out loud in public.

If I am at the post office and only think the thought of a random violent attack, nobody could investigate or prosecute me, as the thought never left my head. But if I were at the post office and then clearly and loudly stated the same thought out loud, it is no longer a thought. In fact, it would very clearly be perceived as a threat, and I would perceive it exactly as that if I were present to witness just such a statement by someone near me.

The internet is not your mind, it is a virtual public place. It is basically hanging at the mall with masks on. Like a masquerade ball. When you post something, even if you claim it is your thoughts, you are essentially saying it out loud. Thoughts are in your head, not out loud. Therefore one cannot hide behind the cry of thought crime when one is investigated for speaking out loud in public (posting on the internet) .

If one cannot accept this, than said individuals are just immature and emotionally sensitive children who thinks the internet is their own personal world to behave and speak as they please without consequence. Statements and proclamations are not thoughts. If someone else can interpret them clearly as illustrated, they cease being thoughts.

Thoughts are in your head, keep them there.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PuRe EnErGy
It's only going to get worse EVERYWHERE, before it gets "better" ....

Thank the dems for that.

It's where it's all headed.

That's "sensible" gun control.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Thoughts are very much external as well as internal. Never said anything you later regret?

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I bet the dumbass is feeling regret right about now, nothing like a bad experience to reinforce why you might regret something..you learn more that way.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I hope all is above board and this guys doesn't get an inadvertent payday.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Screw that. That is a threatening post and I hope they deal with him. Social climate can be considered in sentencing, I've seen it.

Throw the book at him.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
yes I have, and once they were said out loud they stopped being thoughts and became declaration, statements, exclamations, proclamations, monologues, harassment, threats, or any number on non-thought communications.

I bet you have as well, and I bet in some cases you were confronted with consequences for saying such things out loud. Internet posts are exactly that same thing, with one big difference. Chances are they can never be taken back, and will likely exist on the internet cached or saved in one form or another for as long as the infrastructure stays up.

If I say something out loud, it is limited to those around me and stops having any impact after the end of the last syllable. What you say on the internet, may stay on the internet. Ready to haunt your future at a moments notice.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

As long as the authorities behave themselves, I would be surprised if he did get any kind of payday..stranger things have happened though.
Sometimes things you say have repercussion's, free speech or not.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Plenty of synonyms, but thinking can still be external. Without any other evidence, this is certainly can be classified as such. We could draw all sorts of inferences from everything from his looks to his history (which there is no mention). Also, the weapon pictured wasn't found in the home that was searched.

Question: The severity of a threat is only valid if enough people hear it?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Free speech isn't also free from repercussions.

For instance, I think this guy is an arsehole for saying and doing what he did. Others may choose to let him know as much should they cross paths.

However, speech shouldnl't = arrest.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If a stranger walks up to you and says out loud he plans on visiting your home with a weapon, what will your reaction be??

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I'd offer to buy it

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
If a stranger walks up to you and says out loud he plans on visiting your home with a weapon, what will your reaction be??

Laughter.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Aaaand free speech just died.

You don't need free speech.

You already have free thought.

Why do you need to tell everyone your thoughts?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Maybe you would laugh, but I doubt you would simply ignore it as a joke. If I did not immediately introduce someone like that to my knuckles, I would surely be keeping an eye on the person. Everyone reacts differently.

Having been held hostage at knife point as a child at a mall, I tend to take any verbal threat of violence seriously and maintain vigilance. I am always watching people's hands.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Sounds like you are claiming this is a "slippery slope" against?

We have to protect all citizens. Hopefully he will at least get a psych test as should anyone who posts or threatens a veiled harm to others.

That just makes sense to me. And, no, it doesn't appear fascist, not that you said it but it seemed like a veiled concept, to me.

But, I ain't no lawyer so what do I know.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

It's arguable that he crossed the line from speech to threat..that interpretation could be made? especially with the Florida thing. New precedents are set after bad things happen.
If this guy was just a troll, or crying out for attention..I think he got it.

I believe in free speech but I think this guy crossed a line..I know some may disagree.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Why ever not? That was, arguably, a threat. Arrest him, temporarily if there's no real danger, he's released with an apology, and perhaps he'll have learned a lesson. That lesson being, aside from he's a lousy comedian, that you may wanna use your inside voice more.

If there was a danger? Then the situation never happened. Everybody goes home at the end of day...or eventually.

In a total aside...

What's on the internet is forever. I certainly wouldn't hire him...ever. Or allow him anywhere near any kids...ever.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What about free speech for pedos? would you back the right of pedos talking to kids online?.
I wouldn't and am glad you can get done for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

That's a question for another thread. One that's been explored here on ATS many, many times.

Two differing topics.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join