It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Told you so.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

"Upon seeing the post, people who know Rankin became concerned and notified the Texarkana Texas Police Department."

So it wasn't the authorities, but people THAT KNEW HIM.

Would you prefer someone else go postal and have yet another massacre?

far out.... here is a thought, maybe if this happened more, and people that were worried about someone going off the end of sanity were taken out of the picture, this wouldn't even be an issue.

thought crime... give me a break.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Aaaand free speech just died.

That's bollocks and you know it. I always agree with you on these things, but this is not one of those things.

god damn it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
People don't know how to behave reasonably anymore. They project without thinking, and lets face it. Young people brought up in todays society of chaotic meaningless wack don't even know what the word moral means anymore. People thrive on being oxymorons and haven't got the brain capacity of a slug, because if they did, they'd understand that the world doesn't bend down to them and their demands, contrary to their glorified snowflakeology of suggestion given to them by professors too ball-less to say it like it is.

edit on 21-2-2018 by brokenghost because: The current stupid is hurting my cerebral cortex.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And yet, if they had not arrested him, in light of recent events, there only would have been the same people (including an awful lot of pro-2nd people), complaining that he should never have been walking around free to commit the crime in the first place, because of his having made threats for which he was already criminally liable.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   
It isnt thought policing. The dude used words and a photo.

If you put that photo up with the caption "its about time i head to bfft's house" you can expect i would notify the cops.

Under Texas state law a bomb threat is terroristic threat. Same here

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Agreed. If free speech died it happened long ago. Theyve arrested false bomb calls as terroristic threat as long as i have lived.

And honestly, only assholes pull that crap.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Can we afford to not at least check when people, young adolescent men, make threats like that?
Maybe it's a cry for help. A "Stop me before I kill" type of thing.

It's a slope I know. I am fully supportive of both the first and second amendments but I'm a mother too. I grieve for the parents who have had their hearts ripped from their chests. I don't know how they deal with such pain.
I grieve for the young lives cut short.
The questions today and in the weeks to come are not easy. We don't want an invasive government watching every stupid thing we post online and making decisions about our motives or violent capabilities.
geez I'd have them at my door every week because of my open criticism of trump.
But what if we can by a miracle get ahead of the tragedy? We'd be at a point then of it didn't happen vs it could have happened. We'd have protests claiming the gov't was jumping to conclusions or engaging in clairvoyancy.
But if we can prevent it? If we can spare one child a life lost or one parent a crushed heart shouldn't we?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

At least a knock on the door to say hey what's up dude... what do you mean by this.

The kid in Florida unfortunately talked himself out of trouble thirty nine times???
See there I think someone surely dropped the ball.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I would have to agree with that assessment.

If the lad was known to the local police as well as being on the radar of the Feebs, then someone should have had him off the streets well before the events he instigated took place.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Anger floods my inside parts because of something I just read. Because of this I have a thought.

I wonder what the OP of this thread would look like without skin, I think to myself in my head, all alone while sitting on a couch eating Cheetos.

Feds bust down my door and arrest me for thinking bad thoughts. I cry on the way to prison.

THOUGHT CRIME.............

I post a picture of myself holding a knife pointed at a picture of the OP. Below the picture are the words. I wonder what you look like without skin.

Feds bust down my door and arrest me for threatening someone. I laugh on my way to prison.

ACTUAL THREAT.........

Maybe this guy really just wanted to go back to school. But after a tragic school shooting. A 24 years old man posting a picture of the same gun used in the school shooting with the caption, "I'm thinking of finally going back to school." Can be considered a threat. There is precedent going back decades that shows this.

This is as far from a thought crime as you can get. Unless you think everyone on the internet is a split personality of yourself, and the whole of the web is in your mind. Then posting threats on the internet might be a thought crime.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
A thought exercise.

If this is a threat, to whom is it meant? Where, as in specific location? When was it to take place?

See, none of this information is filled in. However, since he may pose a threat, lock him up?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
He made comments that were widely construed as threats. He was arrested, on a legal basis, for making terroristic theats. He'll get his day in court.

Seems pretty clear cut and the system worked IMHO.

Implying that this is in any way a slippery slope toward thought crimes or a degradation of free speech rights seems like reverse SJW. Hyper-sensitive to anything that challenges a world view.

This is why this country is paralyzed. We are too politically and culturally entrenched to deal with issues in a practical way. We are very close to non-functioning at this point.

Kudos to these TX authorities for cutting through the crap.

edit on 2/21/2018 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Reverse sjw. Cute.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The target would be any school that is associated with him. Maybe one on the corner by his house. Maybe one he attended. Maybe one his nephew is bullied at. But the target is "school".

Under Texas law, what he said was enough to be a threat. Always has been since i've been alive. Disturbing the peace is another law that can be used, but i wouldn't support that if terroristic threat laws are in place.

Have a read:

www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us.../18/2015

The first three elements of the statute:

(1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;

(2) place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;

(3) prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building, room, place of assembly, place to which the public has access, place of employment or occupation, aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance, or other public place;

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Sounds flimsy to me. Someone posts a common graphic with a common catchphrase? Where is the specific, credible and most importantly *actual* threat?

More thought-crime BS

The Republic gets a little weaker and a little less recognizable every time something like this happens.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I dunno...

"Do stoopid S#, win stoopid prizes" ... comes readily to mind for me! And I'm all about free speech, but...don't be an idiot and expect to not get treated like one!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Folks seem happy that he's off the street. Its justified...

Here is not bad. Other sites would have him hung or shot based on this evidence alone with plenty of support.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The ones threatened are the people who currently go to whatever school he went too. No time table or specific details. The threat was vague. But it could still be interpreted as a threat. The same way a prank bomb threat with no details is taken seriously as terrorism.

I wouldn't say to lock up the guy and throw away the key. That is a completely different thing. That has to do with sentencing. But I don't see anything wrong with the police bringing the guy in for questioning. Being arrested does not mean you automatically get sent to the big house forever.

Even without a heightened state of panic. I have seen people get arrested for stuff they had communicated using written/typed/tapped words. They got their day before a judge. Just like this guy will. It is nothing new(except to how it applies to the internet but there is even precedent there) and it has nothing to do with thought crimes.

Once the thought goes from thought to action(the action being typing it out and hitting send). It is no longer a thought crime. At least in my opinion.

Now is this whole thing an overreaction for law enforcement dropping the ball with Cruz. Probably. Would this guy of been arrested last month. Probably not. But it does not mean what he posted would not be considered a threat. Its just, probably, no one would of reported him. After what happened though, someone did.

Now should what this guy did be considered a threat. That is a different discussion to me.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
It isnt thought policing. The dude used words and a photo.

If you put that photo up with the caption "its about time i head to bfft's house" you can expect i would notify the cops.

Under Texas state law a bomb threat is terroristic threat. Same here

This x1000

Dude took a picture of his AR 15 with a vaguely threatening message included about visiting the school. I'm not sure how much more blatant you can get, and if anyone thinks it better to just wait and see if he actually does shoot up the school then I'm not sure reason is going to reach you.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lots of maybes bfft. In the (a) portion of that statute you will find an intent clause. Given there is no specific persons or places, that intent would be very difficult to prove. On this posting alone that is.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join