It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America & Guns

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I think if you go hunting then you must accept these risks.

No offence intended. But don't do it if you might die.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OwenHaydn

Because banning them won't change anything.

Criminals do not obey laws. They don't obey them to obtain a weapon. They don't obey them when they walk on to school property with that weapon (gun free zone...ALL guns are banned), and of course they don't obey the law against murder.

The problem isn't guns. The problem is people wanting to kill other people.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: OwenHaydn

I don't know if I would go that far.

the question really however should be that if you are saying you need a semi-auto for hunting then fair enough, you may need that tool to do your job for instance. Yet if you are a office worker in the middle of a city do then the question of why you actually need to own 6 AR-15's and multiple hand guns with thousands of rounds of ammunition really needs to be asked.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Uh no.

You don't get to dictate how I put food on my table. Nor do you get to dictate what weapons I use.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Maybe this info graphic will help some understand why banning guns here in the US won't work:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: LooseLipsSinkShips
a reply to: RomeByFire

Then leave. There's a reason why millions illegally enter America's borders. Many people say they don't like the US but don't leave because it's a nice place to be compared to almost every other country on Earth.

America is a great place, you know what would make it even better.....

If people didn't feel the need to shoot each other all the time, if people did not feel they need to be armed to feel safe.

Who is going to pay for policing in a county that has less than 6k residents spread over 5k square miles, like the area around Marfa, TX?

Presidio County sits on the border. Who is paying for that security?

How come when I call the local sheriff to come deal with hogs tearing up my property, they won't come and save me? Should I tell them you said they should, so the country will be the country you want to live in?

I didn't mention a gun grab, I simply stated the U. S would be even better if people were not shooting each other alot.

I agree rural residents absolutely need guns I have never disputed that, however I'm not so sure about every resident especially city dwellers. I don't have a solution.. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

First: the right to keep and bears arms is not constitutionally protected in the UK. The ability to own a firearm is given by the government. It is not a right given to the people which the government is obligated to overcome if it chooses to try and do so.

Second: Entirely valid point. I would, however, point out that there are a fair number of us "pro-gun" types who are entirely willing to listen to ideas, but when folks (and, no offense, but you yourself are guilty of this) immediately resort to talking about how you think our guns are protected by a "penis enlargement amendment" then yea, we're not really interested in anything else you have to say after that. Who's fault is that?

Third: no comment.

Finally: yea, laws can be changed. Perhaps instead of immediately going to ad-homs as so often happens, speak to the majority of gun owners that aren't in the camp of "I should be able to own anything and everything the government owns" and work with us, rather than spending so much time and energy going after people who aren't going to listen in the first place.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Not dictating anything.

But certain Americans like yourself will never be persuaded to not have weapons capable of these massacres and that in itself is a problem.

I can't bring myself to stay in this debate with this level of ignorance.

I came off this site 10 years ago due to the level of it. Still here!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'd refrain from generalizing such a large population. It's a narrow minded viewpoint. I was born in south Chicago. No one from Europe knows what it is like in some American cities. And our police are corrupt too. Just google Baltimore police arrested. Lots of places in America are tough to grow up in. Any signs of false macho whatever you are talking about, would quickly get beat out of such a pompous person growing up. A lot of American cities check you real quick if you get out of line with any falsehoods. We don't sip tea over here, we drink 40 ounces.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Sorry but I’m going to be blunt here.

Anyone standing on the bodies of children to crow about their point of morality really isn’t worth a listen. Might want to consider why there is a moment of silence and if you should take a moment more before speaking.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LooseLipsSinkShips

No one from Europe knows what it is like in some American cities.

Not even my little brother who lives in Chicago???

I grow up in what was at one point the murder capital of Europe.

Now what were you saying about generalisations??

We don't sip tea over here, we drink 40 ounces.

Ok this makes me laugh and I know its off topic but.....

I used to work as a ED Nurse and every year when the university had their new intake of foreign students we would get all these American kids coming in because they could not handle their Booz

Funniest line I ever heard was a 18 year old drunk American asking "why do you guys drink pints of everything"

Really dude, don't try to outdrink a Scottish guy. We don't drink tea, we drink irn bru and whisky.

edit on 15-2-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Sorry but I’m going to be blunt here.

Anyone standing on the bodies of children to crow about their point of morality really isn’t worth a listen. Might want to consider why there is a moment of silence and if you should take a moment more before speaking.

So when would you like us to talk about gun control then in the context of the monthly mass shootings in schools?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I don't see your brother posting, do you? And if one is not born and raised here, then they wouldn't have as concrete of a perception of America as those who were. Bottomline, Brits don't know what they are talking about when it comes to America and vice versa. It's not a hard concept to understand unless you're bored and using the internet for a penis enlargement to support your overly macho alpha male internet persona.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LooseLipsSinkShips

ahhh so its that old chestnut of your not from America so you're not aloud a opinion on this?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Not dictating anything.

But certain Americans like yourself will never be persuaded to not have weapons capable of these massacres and that in itself is a problem.

I can't bring myself to stay in this debate with this level of ignorance.

I came off this site 10 years ago due to the level of it. Still here!

But you're showing your ignorance. You're proving my point I made several posts ago: Too many of you seem to think that all Americans live in big cities.

We don't. In fact, almost half of us over here live in small towns, and in very rural areas. Areas where even if I didn't hunt, dangerous animals can come up and say "Hi" on my property.

I could care less about some city dweller needing a firearm or not. What I do care about is some do gooder messing with my rights, because they believe they know what is good for me or not.

Do I need a machine gun? No. Waste of ammo, very hard to control the gun (I've fired several different ones during my time in the US Navy).

Do I need a semi-automatic weapon? In certain cases, yes, though I can fire a double action revolver almost as fast, I suck using hand guns. I'm much better with rifles when it comes to aiming.

Can't I just run down to the store and buy my food? Uh, not really without wasting a LOT of gas in my car considering how far away from town I live. I still go to the store, but hunting helps reduce that food bill a lot.

Should I just become a vegan and live off my garden? No thanks....but even if I did, that's not going to stop Mr. Bear, Mr. Boar, Mr. Bobcat, and Mr. Feral Pitbull (that some jerk made vicious). They are not going to come on my land, see my garden and go "Oh, wait, we should leave this guy alone. Make sure we tell Mr. Pit Viper to leave him and his family alone too."

Should I continue to argue my gun rights with people who feel the need to resort to insults about my genitals, who have no basic understand of firearms, or who can not even understand that we don't all live in cities?

Nah, pretty sure I'm done here. And that's why y'all can never have this discussion properly, as pointed out earlier.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

For the most part, I do tend to get a bit rankled when other people tell me how to do my job, or how to run my house, or how to drive....

back seat driving from folks who have no context for the day to day life of rural Americans is beyond annoying. And the appeals to emotion....

I would hazard a bet that we could put in the effort to cure cancer long before we will ever come to a solution here. And it would save untold thousands of lives. Its not about saving lives, or we would address the bigger killers that cost untold more lives. Cancer, heart disease, etc. Sugar kills more people than guns every year, yet they remove fat and add more sugar into "diet food". That kills people.

I just don't think this is about saving lives. And I absolutely don't think that in a nation where abortion is legal, that is even makes sense to pull out the old "but the children...."

If i come across angry, its not at any individual here. Its at seeing the same naval gazing time and time again.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I have a potential solution, but i don't know if it'll work. But at least its trying something different: lets figure out what has changed since the late 80's that has created this problem. Once we figure that out, then we address it.

It seems that before we degrade the rights of Americans any further, we should at least try to look at it from a new angle.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GafferUK1981

If we didn’t have guns we would still be a part of Britain, I think that is the main arguement.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

It really doesn’t need to be asked. It isn’t illegal.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: GafferUK1981

There is no way to get all the guns. There is no will to give all the guns. People will always have guns.

Right now I could call 1 person and have an illegal unregistered gun either delivered or prepared for pick up in less than 1 hour. I am not part of the criminal underworld. Neither is the guy who would find me a seller.

Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody.

There is no simple solution.

edit on 2 15 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join