It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America & Guns

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Then leave. There's a reason why millions illegally enter America's borders. Many people say they don't like the US but don't leave because it's a nice place to be compared to almost every other country on Earth.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GafferUK1981

The answer to you entire post can be found in Chicago, Illinois. It has employed all the suggestions you made. Why not spend a few weekends there in your "gun free zone". See how safe you are. When the bullets start flying you will be begging for someone with a gun to come save your dumb ass.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

At this point, I would rather leave America to somewhere else where mass shootings aren't a two-day occurance (forty five days, twenty eight mass shootings).

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As with all gun control threads started by those who do not reside here in the US, it always ends up being the same: Trying to make Americans into Europeans.

Sorry, but no. We are not you. You are not us. Your cultures are not the same as our culture.

Water and Oil do not mix, and that's what is being suggested.

It's the same as if we insisted that everyone in the UK can only drink tea if it's chilled with sugar added to it. That you all are driving on the wrong side of the road, and you've even put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!

That's it's "tire" not "tyre", it's a "Hood" not a damn "bonnet" (that's what women wear), and it's a "trunk" not a "boot".

It's a "cookie" damn it, not a stupid biscuit! A biscuit is what you put gravy or butter on!

I could rant about chips, french fries and crisps, but you get the idea.

Americans are not Brits or Europeans. Americans are Americans, and each of you, are whatever you are. Unique, all of us in different ways. No one should try to force their culture on anyone else (something that yes....the US has been bad about in modern times.....but before you Brits get on your high horse about that, remember how you pretty much had an empire spanning the globe prior to WW2, so let's not do the whole Pot and Kettle thing, eh?).

Go ahead and worry about our guns if you want. What happened yesterday was horrible.

But it's a small number. 17 compared to the 128 who have died of the flu in my state alone as of yesterday.

93 of those are over 65 years old. 34 were between the ages of 18 to 50. The last one? A 4 year old died of it.

Across the US as of last week, 53 kids have died from the flu.

I'm more pissed about that than I am about some nut with a gun.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
There's no point in discussing this topic.

At this point, I would rather leave America to somewhere else where mass shootings aren't a two-day occurance (forty five days, twenty eight mass shootings).

No you wouldn't. Because you won't.

People on both sides of the issue have no interest in honesty - they're more interested in pushing a narrative.

Says the guy resorting to bold claims and hyperbole to press his point

Constituional rights like protesting shouldn't be allowed because it's disrespectful... but guns? Can't even debate them with Americans - again - on both sides.

Im shocked. You erected a strawman and were able to bring him down.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

I took in the rest of your comment and what it meant. It didn't convince me. It told me that you, like many Americans say England when what you actually mean is Great Britain.

So you comprhended what I meant, but want to quibble over the details and still avoid the main points. Understood.

If reality doesn't convince you, then there's nothing anyone can do.

Best regards.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LooseLipsSinkShips

Then leave. There's a reason why millions illegally enter America's borders. Many people say they don't like the US but don't leave because it's a nice place to be compared to almost every other country on Earth.

America is a great place, you know what would make it even better.....

If people didn't feel the need to shoot each other all the time, if people did not feel they need to be armed to feel safe.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: LooseLipsSinkShips

America is a great place, you know what would make it even better.....

If people didn't feel the need to shoot each other all the time, if people did not feel they need to be armed to feel safe.

Who is going to pay for policing in a county that has less than 6k residents spread over 5k square miles, like the area around Marfa, TX?

Presidio County sits on the border. Who is paying for that security?

How come when I call the local sheriff to come deal with hogs tearing up my property, they won't come and save me? Should I tell them you said they should, so the country will be the country you want to live in?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Stop with the USA vs UK debate.

The UK has toilets older than the US civilisation.

Anyway, gun control in the UK were brought in after the 1987 hungerford massacre. This led to semi auto weapons being banned. In 1996 we had the dunblane school massacre and that led to all handguns being banned.

You can still own guns in the UK

But it is much more controlled than the states.

In April 1996 there was a massacre in Australia. They then decided to ban firearms and bring in tough new laws to protect their citizens.

I think they'll tell you it's worked.

but would the same laws work in the USA?

Why do you yanks need machine guns?

If you can legitimately answer that then fair enough. But I don't think you can.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: OwenHaydn

If you can legitimately answer that then fair enough. But I don't think you can.

Machine guns are illegal, save for the few with tens of thousands to pay for the licensing.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Every time I read one of your posts on this a few things strike me.

Firstly, you seem to assume that people are taking about taking away your guns, in the UK we have some areas were your miles away from police and emergency services, we have farmers who need to protect their animals, we have game keepers who need to control wildlife. The can all own guns, nobody is saying that you guns should be taken away.

Secondly, You demand solutions when the truth is that not a lot of us know what the solutions should be, we might have vague ideas like banning the sale of certain weapons, limiting ammunition/weapon sales, mandatory training, age restrictions and the list goes on. However the exact specifics, I don't have the answer. The point is just that some change needs to be made because current guns laws just now seem to have a class room full of kids being murdered every month.

Thirdly, and I say this as someone who has been around these parts for a while and respects you as a member but dude, you come off a little hostile over this at times, its like you want to smash us all over the head. with your gun agenda. We get it, you don't want to change gun laws, even if that could potentially save lives. Thats fine but don't try to patronise and belittle those who disagree with you.

Arguing that guns laws should be changed is a valid position to hold, now yes there are some very good reasons why guns could never be eradicated in society that you often raise but saying that some change is needed is a valid political view to hold and should be respected as such. Yet every time I read one of your posts on this matter is like your treating us like morons because we don't agree with you.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OwenHaydn

Your showing your ignorance.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

*you're

My ignorance is that I believe you don't need guns!

I'm not American. I don't feel the need to have an extension of my manhood by owning a gun.

Instead of being clever, why not try and educate me?

edit on 15-2-2018 by OwenHaydn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Fair enough. How come all these shooters in the massacres seem to have them?

Legitimate question

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OwenHaydn

Fair enough. How come all these shooters in the massacres seem to have them?

Legitimate question

They didn't.

Have "machine guns" that is.

Learn the difference between what a semi-automatic weapon and a fully automatic weapon is.

And knock of the insults.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You know I also believe that for Americans owning a gun in what I usually call a constitutionally ensured penis enlargement.

I don't say that as a insult, I say that to convey that its just something that a lot of people seem to need to feel like a "man".

Its part of the "Macho-Alpha-male" culture and that culture to the rest of the world is frankly hilarious.

again its not intended as a insult its just being honest about how we view American gun ownership.
edit on 15-2-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

A class III stamp / license only costs $200. The reason they are so expensive is there are so few in circulation. NFA 86 made it illegal to own anything manufactured after 86, so the only ones on the market had to be made prior to this.

It's really more of a supply and demand issue. The market will bear it.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Ok well semi automatic weapons then. Stupid things and no need to own them!

What reason would one want to own one for?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: OwenHaydn

Because when I take a shot at a deer, and if I miss, I need to quickly lead and fire another shot, else there goes dinner.

Bolt or lever action can cause you to loose your bead of aim on said dinner.

If a bear or a boar charges me, it will take several rounds to put it down. Having to chamber a 2nd shot or more will quickly lead to me either having my spine ripped out by the bear, or my intestines trailing behind me after the boar gores me with it's tusks.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Anyway, how many more children have to die before the USA realises that their current gun laws aren't working!?

You can tell me it's for protection but children are still being slaughtered in their schools!

I really don't see how banning semi and fully automatic weapons is a problem?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join