It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Ramping Up Tensions in East Med.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The Latest: Greece says Turkish coast guard rams Greek boat

By The Associated Press

The Latest on tensions in the Mediterranean (all times local):

12:25 p.m.

Greek authorities say a Turkish coast guard patrol vessel has rammed a Greek coast guard boat near a pair of Aegean Sea islets over which the two countries came close to war in 1996.

From the same article, this..Turkey is threatening two EU members, one NATO member, and the energy companies of several NATO/EU members.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued a warning to Greece, Cyprus and international companies exploring for gas in the Mediterranean not to "step out of line" and encroach on Turkey's rights.

abcnews.go.com...

Further news from the region..and more rogue state behavior by Turkey.
Turkeys rights? Turkeys rights don't extend into the territory of other countries.
If Turkey wants it's "rights" to extend half way in to the Aegean, and the Eastern Med, it has to control the territory in those regions. It does not, and the territory in those regions belongs to other countries, save a few islands in the Aegean that Turkey controls.

Research ship harassed by Turkish coast guard
VASSILIS NEDOS

The Meteor, a research ship conducting research on behalf of the University of Heidelberg in Germany in the sea between Samothrace and Limnos in the eastern Aegean, was harassed on Friday by Turkish coast guard officers who warned the captain to leave, saying the vessel was in Turkish waters.

The Meteor had in fact been granted all the necessary permits from the Greek Foreign and Defense ministries, according to Greek military officials who referred to the standard Turkish tactics of questioning Greek sovereign rights in the Aegean.

www.ekathimerini.com...

Just whose side is Turkey really on? More rogue state behavior and support for terror groups..shipping supplies to terror groups.
Not for the first time either, the Greek Coast Guard often intercepts vessels loaded in Turkey with weapons and various other supplies for terror groups.

Greek Coastguard Seizes Ship with Explosives Heading for Libya

By Theo Ioannou -
Jan 10, 2018

Authorities have seized a Tanzanian-flagged ship heading for Libya and carrying materials used to make explosives, according to the Greek coastguard.

The vessel “Andromeda” was detected sailing near Aghios Nikolaos, on the island of Crete on Saturday. Authorities found 29 containers carrying materials including ammonium nitrate, non-electric detonators and 11 empty liquefied petroleum gas tanks.

According to the ship’s bill of lading, the cargo had been loaded in the Turkish ports of Mersin and Iskenderum and was destined for Djibouti and Oman.

greece.greekreporter.com...

Egypt has interests in the East Med. as well, and it has reached agreement with Cyprus on their maritime boundaries and EEZ interests.
Egypt has now told Turkey to back off.
I guess Egypt still holds a grudge for Turkey supporting the Muslim Brotherhood(what's new, Turkey supporting terror groups in the region), which the people of Egypt overthrew in a popular uprising in 2013.

Back off Cyprus gas or face confrontation, Egypt warns Turkey

Turkey will face a confrontation with Egypt if it does not respect Cairo’s rights for gas exploration won in a deal with Greek Cyprus, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid warned on Tuesday.

The maritime border demarcation deal in question was signed in 2013 between Egypt and Cyprus, and gives Cairo access to an area of the East Mediterranean that is of particular interest for hydrocarbon companies since the discovery of the huge Zohr gas fields in 2015.

ahvalnews.com...
www.reuters.com...

And over in Israel, they aren't happy either with Turkey's meddling and escalation of tensions..

Israel newspaper warns of ‘Turkish activities’ in Jaffa, Acre and Jerusalem

A right-wing Israeli newspaper has warned its readers about what it calls “Turkish government activities and funding in several Arab cities in Israel. Makor Rishon is affiliated with conservative right-wing political parties.

The newspaper pointed out that the Turkish government has in recent years been restoring mosques and Turkish artefacts in several Arab cities in Israel and Jerusalem, spending millions of dollars on these projects. It alleged that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plans to employ Palestinians living in Israel to hurt the state from within.

www.middleeastmonitor.com...

And more Turkish support for terror groups...Israel will be seeking pay back...

Israel accuses Turkey of aiding Hamas
Israel has accused Turkey of helping the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas to gain in military strength, following its arrest and deportation of a Turkish citizen.

His alleged accomplice, Dharam Jabarin, an Arab Israeli, had also been arrested and is to be put on trial, the agency said. “In Tekeli’s investigation, it was learned that Turkey contributes to the military strengthening of Hamas,” according to Shin Bet, which said the movement had laundered millions of dollars through Turkey.

Turkey has condemned a US decision to put the head of Hamas, which rules Gaza, on its terror blacklist, saying it hoped the move would not have a negative impact on Ankara’s humanitarian aid to the Palestinian territory.

www.financialexpress.com...
www.israelnationalnews.com...

Add to that the existing tensions in the region that are on the rise, particularly Israel-Syria/Iran...then the USA-Turkey relations on the rocks, where Turkey is now saying it's relations with the US are on the verge of total failure, well.....the Eastern Mediterranean already a powder keg, could be ignited very soon.

www.timesofisrael.com...
www.straitstimes.com...
www.ynetnews.com...
www.nytimes.com...

edit on 13-2-2018 by mortex because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2018 by mortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The seven churches mentioned in Revelation are in Turkey. Pergammum, “where Satan’s throne is” – is in Turkey. The last Islamic Caliphate, the Ottoman Empire, was based in Turkey. The clues pointing to the biblical Antichrist seem to match Turkey’s dictator Erdogan: the number of the Turkish President’s name using English Gematria equals 666.
So there you go, it's war going global soon.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Read this this evening, Tillerson warns Erdolf Turkey:
US-Außenminister Tillerson ermahnt die Türkei

And he is talking about an "ottoman slap in the face" for the "U"SA, an ottoman slap that the "U"SA never felt before, says that wannabe Hitler:
Erdogan droht USA mit "osmanischer Ohrfeige"

A little bit drifting:
And then there is the reason the west needs to attack syria completely, France again:
Wenn Assad Chemiewaffen einsetzt, will Macron angreifen
If Assad uses cehmical weapons, Macron will attack, sorry for the german links.

Guess some western controlled"moderate beheader" is on the way right now, equipped with something that looks like a chemical grenade or similiar, the White Helmets do the rest to make the western population believe that story.

edit on 13 2 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mortex

From the same article, this..Turkey is threatening two EU members, one NATO member, and the energy companies of several NATO/EU members.

Now we mention NATO. Turkey is a member of NATO. So NATO is threatening NATO?

But shhh, NATO Turkey is not invading Syria, for NATO.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes, NATO is threatening NATO and two NATO members are illegally invading syria right now, Erdolf-Turkey and the Trump-"U"SA. But nobody cares. But remember what hell broke loose in the west, when russia allegedly illegally invaded, annexed the Krim. But if the west does the same thing....silence!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Turkey will have to be very careful with Cyprus. I take it they won't want Britain involved in a fight there.

We have bases on the island, used as staging posts for attacks on isis in Iraq.

We have got involved in the past between Cypriot Greeks and Cypriot turks. Hopefully it'll stay nice and calm and no one gets hurt.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
A NATO member rammed their ship into another NATO members ship.
A NATO member is claiming territory of another NATO member.

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JWill
The seven churches mentioned in Revelation are in Turkey. Pergammum, “where Satan’s throne is” – is in Turkey. The last Islamic Caliphate, the Ottoman Empire, was based in Turkey. The clues pointing to the biblical Antichrist seem to match Turkey’s dictator Erdogan: the number of the Turkish President’s name using English Gematria equals 666.
So there you go, it's war going global soon.

He is not the Antichrist until he starts claiming to be Christ.
Also there is no direct Biblical connection between someone being an Antichrist and "global war very soon".
I recommend putting Revelation on one side for the time being and focussing on geopolitics.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I am in way anti American as I am one.

But I'm also not surprised at countries tired of us getting tired of us deciding what's right for them.

Last I checked, all the countries we've meddled with lately aren't doing so hot.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Normally I'd say things will stay calm and blow over.
And while there is an element to what happened with the ramming of the ship directed for internal consumption in Turkey, to distract from the failures of the Turkish military in Syria after nearly a month and a mounting death toll and heavier and heavier losses, as per usual with Turkey's tactics to distract their population, there is something else in the air.
There's too much going on, too many spot fires igniting. It's not one isolated incident anymore.

Right now the Italians are sending a frigate to Cyprus' Block 6 where the Italian company ENI is conducting exploration work. Turkey sent a couple ships and subs to try and disrupt the energy exploration works.

Late last year or early this year, they tried messing with the operations of France's TOTAL in Cyprus/East Med. France sent ships to Cyprus.

Turkey is escalating tensions in the region.

Don't be surprised if in the near future someones jet gets shot down or a ship gets hit with an exocet.

a reply to: Funem

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's probably best keeping an eye on British military deployments to Cyprus then. If there's an increase there from the two light battalions, 10 tornados and 9 typhoons plus the myriad of support units. Then there's a good chance something will happen.
edit on 13-2-2018 by Funem because: Bad grammar

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It will be a Turkey shoot..........

Sorry.

But seriously, Turkey......in 2018? Ummmmm nope. Sit down Turkey, you're drunk. Go home.

Meh.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
I am not really anti-american, any other nation that would behave like the "U"S behaves would be critized the same way by me. I am anti "U"S government, anti "U"S hawks, anti "U"S neocons, anti "U"S warmongerers, but not anti "U"S people that are fooled by their rulers.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes, NATO is threatening NATO and two NATO members are illegally invading syria right now, Erdolf-Turkey and the Trump-"U"SA. But nobody cares. But remember what hell broke loose in the west, when russia allegedly illegally invaded, annexed the Krim. But if the west does the same thing....silence!

Erdolf-Turkey and the Trump-"U"SA

For truth and historical purpose you really , really need to change that.
Which President declared a line in the sand against Assad and got the US involved in Syria ?
Hint , wasnt Trump - get it ?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It´s worth mentioning that Turkey is loosing in Afrin, despite the proclaimed victory in matter of of hours, 22-25 days later they only moved about 5 KM inside Syria and they still counting loses. In order to save face Turkey tries to create an "incident" with Greece and Cyprus on the receiving end. The reason behind the recent hostility is Turkey needs an outlet for the "Olive Branch" fiasco.

They almost tried to create an incident on Imia. After the incident where a Turkish coastguard vessel deliberty rammed the stationary Greek coastguard boat with the purpose to create an "incident",the Greek side watches how the situation is evolving and the patrols on imia are continuing as usual.

Turkey also is playing a dangerous game in AOZ by holding "hostage" the Italian SAIPEM 12000 , since Turkey created a blockade consisting of the Turkish frigates, TCG Gediz, TCG Barbaros, TCG Kalkan, TCG Mizrak, TCG Bora and TCG Meltem, the TCG Akar Refueling Ship, and four submarines are located in or around the area.

Italy is sending a frigate with the specific order to assist "SAIPEM 12000", but not to take any further action. In other words stand by for now. Mr Anastasiadis asserts that "There is no reason to worry about the Turkish challenges in the Cyprus EEZ and the obstruction of the ENI drilling machine, Simeam 12,000, to reach it´s destination. "

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

WASHINGTON — The U.S. has no evidence to confirm reports from aid groups and others that the Syrian government has used the deadly chemical sarin on its citizens, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Friday. “We have other reports from the battlefield from people who claim it’s been used,” Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon. “We do not have evidence of it.”
www.washingtonpost.com... 391373867e_story.html?utm_term=.c9121de76fa5 When ISIS was shipping oil through Turkey to Israel it was a big happy family over there . My how things have changed ...or have they ????

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But who is Potus now, actually? Because we are talking about what actually happens in syria, and actually it´s not Obama that is the Commander in Tweet...ah Chief.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
OMG I hate the ME, horrible place full of psychopaths.
Everyone should just leave and make alternate arrangements.

..... and slap Turkey on the way out .

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yeh I know, I briefly mentioned it. But there's a wider game Turkey is playing besides that.
Erdogan is giving everyone from Greece/Cyprus, Syria, USA, Israel, Russia, and the EU powers and China an axe to grind against Turkey.
Question is when will some of them come with their axes ready to grind?
I don't think any of this is happening by chance, or as purely action and reactionary moves. So when will they decide to light it up?

....At some point the powder keg will be ignited.

a reply to: Seed76

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

OMG I hate the ME, horrible place full of psychopaths.

You couldn't be more right if you wanted to?

Ever notice that that whole area is full to the brim with nut cases shouting about their imaginary friend in the sky and generally wanting to cause problems, death and destruction to every other part of the globe we share? Seriously, I know I'm going to get a load of flame here, but it's true! You cannot argue with facts.

Sure you could argue the same about the US and their friends, but it's not really the same is it? It's not. It's just a pathetic attempt to liken what those uneducated numpties in the ME are doing.

It's about time the whole thing came to ahead and was sorted once and for all. Allah indeed. You're gonna need him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join