It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: Nyiah

Stuff like oatmeal is good. Cheap and healthy for all ages.

How many would buy it?

Hell, Ramen noodles even. Retail is what, 10 pks for a buck?

Add a fried egg and slice of ham, got a decent lunch or quick dinner. We use ham or a slice of fried Spam type meat.

Lots of ways to dress up the basics.

Ramen is certifiably awful for us with all the salt & fat packed in it. SO much salt in one pack. For the love of god, don't tout it as healthy cheap food, it's not. Tastes great and I love it based on taste alone, especially with an egg whisked in, but it's a health NUKE at best if relied on too often.

Friggin too much water will kill ya.

Sorry to be so douche baggy.

No one is advocating a diet of asparagus and hollandaise, right?

A kid can make themselves a meal. Don't need mom or dad if they are working.

You're utterly missing the point. With as unhealthy as Ramen is, you might as well simply advocate fast food as a healthy, cheap option for the poor. They are in the same basket.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

How many would buy it?

Add a fried egg and slice of ham, got a decent lunch or quick dinner. We use ham or a slice of fried Spam type meat.

Ramen is certifiably awful for us with all the salt & fat packed in it. SO much salt in one pack. For the love of god, don't tout it as healthy cheap food, it's not. Tastes great and I love it based on taste alone, especially with an egg whisked in, but it's a health NUKE at best if relied on too often.

You're utterly missing the point. With as unhealthy as Ramen is, you might as well simply advocate fast food as a healthy, cheap option for the poor. They are in the same basket.

I ain't missing anything.

YOU say it's unhealthy. Got some back up?

Billions eat it all the time.

Same as fast food but who is healthier for it?

Like I said, drop the doritos and big gulps.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

How many would buy it?

I ain't missing anything.

YOU say it's unhealthy. Got some back up?

Billions eat it all the time.

Same as fast food but who is healthier for it?

Like I said, drop the doritos and big gulps.

I just linked an article discussing it. If you want to continue to bury your head in the sand, go for it. But those Doritos and Big Gulps? Still no different.

You seem to exist under the delusion that being Asian, or just in Asia, negates the effects of poor dietary choices. Dig through the search results, they're not better off.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I guess no one sees the elephant in the room. The US government wants to slash everything across the board which includes SNAP to increase the military budget upwards of 1 trillion dollars. They do this because...they love you and care about you and care about national security. That same government that already stolen 2 trillion from your social security retirement fund and never payed it back.

They complain and act as though that 70 billion spent on SNAP is the root of all the problems. Let's put this into perspective shall we?? Let's slash the military budget to 0 for 2 years. That is 2 trillion in 2 years saved. There now you have enough money to support the SNAP program for 30 years. The money spent on SNAP is minuscule people!

It doesn't matter who is president it's always the same thing. Adjust taxes and slash SNAP. Never anything else that is literally bleeding the country dry. I wish there would be a major collapse, because there really is no other solution to lower this increasing inflation. At this rate you will be paying 10 dollars for a gallon of milk and your working wage will be 50 dollars an hour. The dollar has no buying power anymore. We're cooked, we're done.

This axing of all these programs will solve nothing. In fact it will likely cause more problems than they claim it will solve and seal our fate. How does decreasing money spent on poverty stricken citizens help create jobs? Can anyone tell me how that is going to be achieved?? How does shifting that money to the military solve anything? They keep telling us that they want to protect us at the same time starve us. Don't forget that 40 billion a year goes to foreign aid folks! This government has gone bat # crazy.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
SNAP should be uncomfortable and unsatisfying enough to drive people to WORK for better.

These restrictions should be enabled for all recipients who are able to work, but don't. Those on legitimate disability benefits should obviously have more freedom in choice since it was not their choice to be disabled.

But for the everyday mother who continuously pushes out kid after kid for more and more benefits? No, they should get benefits that enable them to work. And yes, ENRAGE them enough to go back to work.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: tribal

HALF of the benefits will be given in food instead of items of choice.

The other HALF of benefits will still be available for you to make your own decisions with.

This will go a long way to ensure that some of the worst off of all children will actually get some food instead

of a parent nodding off on heroin with the all of the food money.

If Germany is so great feel free to go back there.

The intelligent way to look at this would be..

"Germany does it that way and it works really well and we should try it here."

Stupidity breeds confidence, a statement many people should take heed of in the U.S.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sean

The people that go along with it are bat # crazy too.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: joeraynor

Once again,candy,fast food,energy drinks?,hardly a staple for a family,waste of money with little to no nutrition,yes there should be stipulations,if they want these things,all more incentive to find a job,bet they would thinmk twice with their own money

link   

Once again,candy,fast food,energy drinks?,hardly a staple for a family,waste of money with little to no nutrition,yes there should be stipulations,if they want these things,all more incentive to find a job,bet they would think twice with their own money

link   

Once again,candy,fast food,energy drinks?,hardly a staple for a family,waste of money with little to no nutrition,yes there should be stipulations,if they want these things,all more incentive to find a job,bet they would think twice with their own money

link   

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: sean
I guess no one sees the elephant in the room. The US government wants to slash everything across the board which includes SNAP to increase the military budget upwards of 1 trillion dollars. They do this because...they love you and care about you and care about national security. That same government that already stolen 2 trillion from your social security retirement fund and never payed it back.

They complain and act as though that 70 billion spent on SNAP is the root of all the problems. Let's put this into perspective shall we?? Let's slash the military budget to 0 for 2 years. That is 2 trillion in 2 years saved. There now you have enough money to support the SNAP program for 30 years. The money spent on SNAP is minuscule people!

It doesn't matter who is president it's always the same thing. Adjust taxes and slash SNAP. Never anything else that is literally bleeding the country dry. I wish there would be a major collapse, because there really is no other solution to lower this increasing inflation. At this rate you will be paying 10 dollars for a gallon of milk and your working wage will be 50 dollars an hour. The dollar has no buying power anymore. We're cooked, we're done.

This axing of all these programs will solve nothing. In fact it will likely cause more problems than they claim it will solve and seal our fate. How does decreasing money spent on poverty stricken citizens help create jobs? Can anyone tell me how that is going to be achieved?? How does shifting that money to the military solve anything? They keep telling us that they want to protect us at the same time starve us. Don't forget that 40 billion a year goes to foreign aid folks! This government has gone bat # crazy.

The jobs already exist. The problem is when you can get around 20-30 k in benefits (housing, food and other welfare) or work for 20-30k which would you choose. You tout the poor as the ones who need the benefits but I argue the benefits keep the poor poor. Stop using feelings and use logic. The social safety net that was put in place has become a social hammock for the professional layabout. You want to really make social safety nets work make people work for them. Any person who earns under 53k a year gets supplemental support. This would help fill the low earning jobs and force the poor who are not disabled to find employment. But let me guess that would be a form of corporate welfare and welfare is wrong right?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: joeraynor
So effectively they are saying the government knows best what people ought to eat.

And then there is the aspect that people have unique food-based allergies or intolerances. The package contains milk and nuts, which are two of the biggest foods that many people are incapable of eating.

As the article mentions, now the government needs a distribution network for this food, and systems for keeping it fresh. Government tends to be inefficient at logistical systems like this, so a proposal which claims to be aimed at saving money will end up costing even more, on top of dictating to the aid recipients what their meals will be, regardless of their own health needs, preferences, or cultural context.

Sounds like typical US government thinking.

This is exactly what I was thinking, good points. I look at it like this, if they meet the requirements to qualify for SNAP then what does it matter what food they buy? Just because they like junk food does that mean that they no longer meet the requirements for receiving SNAP? No it doesn’t.

It’s okay that we all can buy junk food and eat junk food but you guys are on SNAP so you have to eat healthy. That’s ludicrous. Do you people really seriously care if those people eat healthy? I don’t think you do.

If they want to blow their SNAP on junk food that will sustain them for a week then have to suffer the local pantry foods like canned soups and boxed crap then that’s on them. I think it’s dumb but hey it’s their life. It doesn’t change the fact that they are poor and in need of SNAP.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wow. All these posters gloating and condemning hungry American children, veterans, elderly, disabled. And americans going along with it. Except for the grace of god, there go I.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Only going to add my personal experiences on this subject, over the years I've had a lot of friends that've had EBT or snap or something at one point in time or another, and literally every single one of them has offered to sell them to me, for example, let me use their card for 100 worth of groceries or whatever for $50 cash, I've never actually done it but this has happened 4 or 5 times in my life. I'm just one tiny person in an ocean of people, can't even imagine the massive fraud and abuse this system creates.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone's clarified this yet.

You cannot buy fast food with food snap benefits.

You cannot get meals in restaurants. You cannot get anything that is hot or prepared.
So you folks can quit mentioning KFC, McDonald's, etc in the conversation.

Some grocery stores with delis can get away with selling cold deli sandwiches and fresh salads from the bar which
skirts the rules because it is not given with "service" and it is not "cooked".

There are actually quite a few things that they won't allowed to be purchased with food stamps.

People can buy soda pop and candy bars though and perhaps that is not a great idea.

The food stamp program is, I think, worth the cost which is relatively small in the whole federal budget.

People talk like it's bleeding the country dry which is ridiculous. That money goes right back into the economy.
If you are involved in the food industry at all then that money is coming back directly to you in what essentially
becomes a food industry subsidy.

Government cheese packages do not account for things like special diets and allergies that may be necessary for
a lot of people. It's not just malingering deadbeats on food stamps. Disabled people also have to subsist on them much
of the time because disability payments are insufficient for housing let alone being able to eat as well.

Homeless people on food stamps often have no means at all for cooking/preparing any sort of food thus foodstuffs that
are ready to eat are their only option. They don't have shelves for cans or stoves to soak and cook beans for hours.

People abusing the system by selling or trading their food stamps are breaking the law. They would have their stamps revoked if they were caught and could also face massive fines and prison.

It isn't the free-for-all that people make it out to be, but then much of the hatred of the food stamp program at least on the internet is clearly racially motivated.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0001391

You cannot get meals in restaurants. You cannot get anything that is hot or prepared.
So you folks can quit mentioning KFC, McDonald's, etc in the conversation.

Some grocery stores with delis can get away with selling cold deli sandwiches and fresh salads from the bar which
skirts the rules because it is not given with "service" and it is not "cooked".

There are actually quite a few things that they won't allowed to be purchased with food stamps.

People can buy soda pop and candy bars though and perhaps that is not a great idea.

The food stamp program is, I think, worth the cost which is relatively small in the whole federal budget.

People talk like it's bleeding the country dry which is ridiculous. That money goes right back into the economy.
If you are involved in the food industry at all then that money is coming back directly to you in what essentially

Government cheese packages do not account for things like special diets and allergies that may be necessary for
a lot of people. It's not just malingering deadbeats on food stamps. Disabled people also have to subsist on them much
of the time because disability payments are insufficient for housing let alone being able to eat as well.

Homeless people on food stamps often have no means at all for cooking/preparing any sort of food thus foodstuffs that
are ready to eat are their only option. They don't have shelves for cans or stoves to soak and cook beans for hours.

People abusing the system by selling or trading their food stamps are breaking the law. They would have their stamps revoked if they were caught and could also face massive fines and prison.

It isn't the free-for-all that people make it out to be, but then much of the hatred of the food stamp program at least on the internet is clearly racially motivated.

Thank you. This has been pointed out a thousand times on ats. I don’t know where these posters live that don’t know all this by now.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 99problems

I know 4 families on snap. This Idaho where the min wage is low. No one has ever offered me their snap for money. Food is what they need for the babies and kids. Maybe you need better friends and report them to fraud hotline.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Actually, if someone is caught trading their SNAP groceries for cash, the person buying them is actually the one that gets in trouble. I know a local businessman that is in his 80s now. One of those guys that that grew up dirt poor and worked hard everyday to earn his reputation. He retired as a firefighter and opened his own pawn business in his 50s. His business was okay but not great. His pension and social security kept his doors open on many occasions. This was in small farming town where everyone knows each other. He was constantly being hounded to purchase foodstamps for .50 on the dollar but refrained for more than a decade.

Then came the Y2K hysteria. Convinced that things were going to get bad from all the gossip and news, he decided to prepare for the worst. He started buying foodstamps from a select few to buy canned food, beans, and rice to insure his family would not go hungry if the SHTF. Needless to say, people talk and the news spread almost as quickly as the jealousy. He stopped buying them once word got around. After a several weeks of harassment from one man in particular that he had refused to help in the past, he reluctantly bought $100 in foodstamps hoping to put an end to subject, the state police came in and busted him in the process. Not one of the 13 confirmed sellers lost their benefits or suffered any punishment but the pawn broker who was a senior citizen, church deacon, and family man went to federal prison for 5 years.

I'm sorry if it sounds like Im defending his actions. They were illegal and he knew it was but don't tell me that people abusing the system are punished. Every welfare program in our country is abused each and every day. I say dismantle the FBI and appoint the agents as case workers to anyone on government assistance to not only monitor for abuse but to assist in aiding those who aren't getting all their benefits that these programs offer.

An example of the harsh punishment the offenders are hit with..

www.nola.com...

$20,000 in theft from the taxpayers doesn't warrant any jail time? Give me a damn break...

edit on 14-2-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 0001391

I did.

I actually don't want a stop to candy and soft drinks being purchased. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, has some hormonal benefits and most soft drinks will settle an upset stomach (many were originally marketed as a digestion aid). It comes down to the question of how much of the budget is going to candy and soft drinks.

But even that is not my major reason for applauding the plan: you nailed that.

I oppose all industry subsidies. Welfare is for people, not for companies. There is not an infinite number of people that can be helped, so every company that receives benefits is several individuals who do not receive benefits.

a lot of people.

Why can SNAP recipients not simply declare allergies and dietary needs? I mean really... have you seen the applications? What's one more page?

In Alabama, the homeless are not eligible. One must have an address in order to receive food stamps.

That is another issue that needs to be fixed.

And here you had some good points, too.... and it turns out you just hate people and can't explain why.

Once you used that 'r' word... you lost ALL credibility with me.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join