It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You know what, even if they reported it, nothing would happen.

I know people who have reported abuse, and nothing happens, that’s where the real problem is!

Maybe change the guidelines?

I actually met at a DTA office a couple in their early twenties who were heroin addicts living at home in their parents garage who were getting food stamps. Yet, when I was 25, I was working full- time and taking care of my fiancé who had brain cancer. I literally ate twice a week if I was lucky because the cost of parking in Boston quite frequently to go to the hospital was so expensive.

I was lucky enough to have a Dr tell me there was a particular meter that was broken, so I lucked out with that a few times.

I tried to apply for food stamps, but was told I made too much. I got down to 98 lbs at one point. So I agree, there are families that desperately need it and don’t abuse it. Yet, there are many who seem to get everything because they lie, find angles to work the system.

When I was at the shelter, the biggest fraudsters there wouldn’t even give the box of food to their children, they would literally throw them away. There was a convenience store in town that would take EBT for cigarettes, those people are the problem. People were afraid to speak up, because if you did, the people abusing it would jump and rob you.

Some suggestions I can think of might be:

Deadbeat fathers need to be held more accountable.

Having more children while on welfare should not be encouraged. An ounce of prevention and all .....

Better fraud prevention

Better paying jobs, with better benefits without having to have a doctorate to work at companies that shouldn’t require it.

More cost efficient training; not everybody wants to go into massive debt to work at McDs

Still thinking on other possibilities

edit on 14-2-2018 by KTemplar because: Typos

edit on 14-2-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Did you know these programs already exist on the state level, the feds are just taking that. They're also removing choice while doing so. We have programs in Ohio where you can pay with food stamps (and only with food stamps for that matter) where you can select food packages for around $45 that amount to about 3 weeks worth of food for a single person. You get choice, and if you're willing to cook food you can opt in and purchase it.

You just want to punish people with government cheese.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I've considered buy food from amazon before. my grocery store is cheaper for most items, especially if I wait around for the items to go on sale.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
There is no reason for hunger in America. How much food is just thrown away?

But let's blame the poor people...

Crops being left to rot in the field...why.

edit on 14-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: pavil

Not here. No "hot food." No alcohol. No tobacco products. Sometimes certain vitamins will go on it.

I think some people just don't understand how SNAP works, or maybe it's just different in other states.

TheRedneck

I think the main confusion comes from cash assistance which is also given on the same card.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Did you know these programs already exist on the state level, the feds are just taking that. They're also removing choice while doing so. We have programs in Ohio where you can pay with food stamps (and only with food stamps for that matter) where you can select food packages for around $45 that amount to about 3 weeks worth of food for a

You just want to punish people with government cheese.

Lol, you took the words right out of my head with the cheese punishment statement.

I once had a neighbor whose child hung out with mine. She got $1,500/month for being an opioid addict; she once b&tched at me about how can I afford cable, because I own a decent tv, which I should have since I worked 12 hour days to afford it at one time; I pointed out to her that I didn’t have cable, but that I had an antenna. She just assumed I had cable.

She drives a brand new car, walks fine, and f@cs with everybody because she apparently has too much time on her hands. She also complained about the working people who were getting food stamps, how rich!

I told her to lose my #. I was working 5 days a week when she said this to me.

The problem with the world is people think others have it better than them without knowing the hell others go through.

Yes there is fraud, GO AFTER THEM!

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I wonder if they will just get walmart and other retailers to pack and send these food boxes. Different type foods for different type diets. I bet they could do it this way and still save monies.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

They better hire dietitians then if they are taking on special diets. Set up for lawsuits.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Well yea.

I bet soon walmart online store will have a way to view foods specific to ones needs.
ex. A diabetic view of the online store.
I was gonna submit the idea to them but i think they will figure it out on their own.
I think it would be nice way to shop online with medical filters for your cart. I retain all rights of coarse.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
I hope this is the right spot for this. Sorry i don't know how to embed text.
www.npr.org...

The Trump administration is proposing a major shake-up in one of the country's most important "safety net" programs, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps. Under the proposal, most SNAP recipients would lose much of their ability to choose the food they buy with their SNAP benefits.

The proposal is included in the Trump administration budget request for fiscal year 2019. It would require approval from Congress.

Under the proposal, which was announced Monday, low-income Americans who receive at least $90 a month — just over 80 percent of all SNAP recipients — would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package." The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables." The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables.

[SNIPPED EXCESSIVE TEXT]

-----------------

Okay so i can understand where they are coming from, but... My first job when i was a kid was as a cashier for a high end grocery store. I always found it weird when people would come through buying stuff like Filet mignon or lobster tail. As i got older i started volunteering for a homeless outreach, i had to leave a few years ago due to belief differences (wasn't a fan of it becoming a cultish work camp for the so calles man of god in charge) but many of the residents received snap benefits. And honestly many of them abused it. They would trade their benefits for things like tobacco or use it to buy junk foods or soda. Then go to food banks and get the "real food".

I do think it needs to have some stipulations put on what can be bought and what can't. But this plan is crazy. They are taking the the potential nutritional value from the program. But take away the or limit the amount of junk that can be bought and make the consequences hasher for those that sell them for money or other goods. Educate people on the importance of nutrition. Also those that are capable of working help them find jobs and make it mandatory that they work so many hours per week.

There already is stipulations on what can be bought and what can't. You cannot buy anything hot, you cannot buy alcohol or tobacco, you can't by paper plates or paper towels or toilet paper, you can only by food on a shelf or in a refrigerator/freezer. You send people boxes of canned stuff, they are still gonna trade it for cash and buy what they want anyway.

What of the people that don't abuse it? They have to drink powdered milk now? Eat fruit drowned in syrup? Pasta and Beans? No meat at all?

GTFO.

Like it or not, the qualification to be on SNAP is a math calculation. You make X, you need Y. You're either approved or your not. They can't come in and evaluate how you spend your money, if you smoke, etc etc, that would cost more money than just doling it out.

You can't just ship people Pasta/Beans/Canned Fruit/Canned Vegetables/Peanut Butter and Powdered Milk.

Some people are lactose intolerant, others are allergic to peanuts. What kind of beans are they gonna put in the box? Baked Beans? Red Beans? Black Beans? Lima Beans? What if they chose Lima, and I like Black Beans? The cost difference is null, but now I'm being forced to eat something I don't like?

Get out of here with this food ration garbage. This is a 1st world country that's not run by a dictator.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Dietitians make between 60k and 80k. That’s a lot of food stamps.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: Bicent
a reply to: dawnstar

You have to look at the stats. People are not buying healthy food with food stamps. So now that this SOUNDS like we are getting emotional or something personal I am out of the topic. I just suggest to gather more info on the subject and try to make it better and save money on an entitlement program that is losing us billions of dollars a year. Don’t forget our government has to some how balance a 20 trillion dollar debt asap. Feel free to offer better ideas. Respectfully I get it.. let’s not forget we don’t even know the details of the idea. Allot of quick judgements.

They are just tossing ideas around to see what they can come up with to get people decent non perishable food stuffs and cut some waste and abuse in the program.

Now ya get a credit card, essentially.

People don't make the best choices, ever go shopping with kids?

Spend more time putting stuff back on the shelves.

Stuff like oatmeal is good. Cheap and healthy for all ages.

How many would buy it?

Hell, Ramen noodles even. Retail is what, 10 pks for a buck?

Add a fried egg and slice of ham, got a decent lunch or quick dinner. We use ham or a slice of fried Spam type meat.

Lots of ways to dress up the basics.

I'm sure someone can come up with an easy to read nutritional booklet with some recipes to put in the boxes.

Just think of the jobs that could be created. From the food and packaging producers to doorstep.

Besides, the food stuffs most likely would be from top brands in plain packaging. So there is that.

No man; you'll get the cheapest product ever, not the "best brands" and if they had to employ more people do put together these boxes, they aren't saving money at all anyway.

This is just a blasphemous idea. Most people on SNAP eat oatmeal/eggs/chicken on sale. It's not like people are walking in and buying 4 14$ steaks.....

like; what are you on about.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Dietitians make between 60k and 80k. That’s a lot of food stamps.

lol
the thing is that the dietary guidelines are already out there. No need for a dietitian for every case.
as far as the packaging and shipping goes they will just let the free market deal with that. No need for a new dietary force. Just a new path for low income peeps to get food using existing means.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I just know that I worked in nursing homes. By law they had to hire a dietician. If government is taking control of people with diets prescribed by doctors, they will have to hire dietitians. There are disabled people with choking problems, food allergies, diabetics, cancer patients.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

i have to disagree with you that food suppliers need to hire dietitians.

The food box is here and will grow much even if not in the food stamp program.

Food box companies already exist and can benefit their customers by showing and sending items specific to ones dietary needs based on previous diagnosis of illness.

Food box companies will not come and make sure you chew correctly.

What you suggest is outside the scope of a food supplier.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I don’t have anything against the food box industry as a choice.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Bread. Milk. Rice. Cheese. Then money for fresh veggies and proteins. I don't qualify but I would take it for my family of 5...

It is food. That is what it is for. When someone is truly hungry and need it there will be no arguments.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Well being broke removes ones choices very quickly.

Bringing food items to the needy in a manner that is specific with individual needs is a good idea.

Let us be real and say that many peeps eat much that goes against guidelines set by doctors and in the long run increases healthcare cost.

Bring more unprocessed goods to the table can have a positive health effect on many growing children.

It can cut down on much fraud and abuse of the system at the same time.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

i have to disagree with you that food suppliers need to hire dietitians.

The food box is here and will grow much even if not in the food stamp program.

Food box companies already exist and can benefit their customers by showing and sending items specific to ones dietary needs based on previous diagnosis of illness.

Food box companies will not come and make sure you chew correctly.

What you suggest is outside the scope of a food supplier.

Yeah, besides that, there are already state/federal guidelines already out there......the same which already used in nursing homes etc as you stated in your earlier post. But, there will be many people that don't have special needs dietary restriction in the families as those with dietary restrictions.

It doesn't mean that a few personal choice options can't be used to determine food choices sent to those in need.

It is no longer about making sure the hungry are fed. It has moved way beyond that. It's difficult to reign in the system as it has now become. There will be complaints all around.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Anyone who knows or has had experience to this program knows both the gross corruption and the self reinforcing poverty it creates.

If people want junk food, dig yourself out of poverty, it's a blessing our government provides anything. It should come with more forceful regulations designed to help the helpless and force the clueless to get off there ass and work, I don't care if it's cleaning up the freeway or working at McDonald's.

I once rented a home to a women who rolled up in a new Cadillac and told me she waited 8 years to get into the HUD program....a 40 year old able body women driving a new srx bragging to me about abusing a system for helpless people and that was hardly the only time I saw it that week let alone all time.
edit on 14-2-2018 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join