It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: pavil

and what if the single mom can't afford a pressure cooker?? and just how much time, if any, is cut from the 2,3, or 4, hours it takes to cook the beans with one.

Done in a half hour with pressure cooker strait from the bag. Though I do beans old school most of the time.

I can cook a totally frozen Turkey Breast in an hour.

Pressure cookers rock.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

please explain to me just how is providing powdered milk to the food stamp recipients of places like flint michigan with it's questionable water supply is providing them with healthier food. or how canned vegetables is healthier than fresh, or even frozen. or how peanut butter could ever be considered even close to healthy to someone who has peanut allergies.
this all boils down to the dependency=servitude.. people feel that since it's taxmoney that is being used to fund people's food stamps, they should have the ability to overly dictate just what they should be eating or what they shouldn't be. only, it goes into borderline insanity if the cost of your lordship far exceeds the cost of the program with less control and supervision.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
give a man a fish, you've fed them for a day, teach them to fish, you've fed them for the rest of their lives...

if we aren't concentrating on getting the wages high enough to support the people, nothing we do will do much good.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

You have to look at the stats. People are not buying healthy food with food stamps. So now that this SOUNDS like we are getting emotional or something personal I am out of the topic. I just suggest to gather more info on the subject and try to make it better and save money on an entitlement program that is losing us billions of dollars a year. Don’t forget our government has to some how balance a 20 trillion dollar debt asap. Feel free to offer better ideas. Respectfully I get it.. let’s not forget we don’t even know the details of the idea. Allot of quick judgements.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Capitalism will never be a Eutopia. Crap happens in life.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I don't know, think I would go with a food dehydrator first.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent

You have to look at the stats. People are not buying healthy food with food stamps. So now that this SOUNDS like we are getting emotional or something personal I am out of the topic. I just suggest to gather more info on the subject and try to make it better and save money on an entitlement program that is losing us billions of dollars a year. Don’t forget our government has to some how balance a 20 trillion dollar debt asap. Feel free to offer better ideas. Respectfully I get it.. let’s not forget we don’t even know the details of the idea. Allot of quick judgements.

To eat a healthy balanced diet it can get expensive, I doubt food stamps allow for healthy eating, obviously the stats are rigged.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

and what if the single mom can't afford a pressure cooker?? and just how much time, if any, is cut from the 2,3, or 4, hours it takes to cook the beans with one.

Done in a half hour with pressure cooker strait from the bag. Though I do beans old school most of the time.

I can cook a totally frozen Turkey Breast in an hour.

Pressure cookers rock.

The Slow cookers are good too.

Load it and set the timer before work.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea, but as long as they also end the subsidies to Big AG, Fast Food and Grocery Lobbyists.
The last time they cut food stamps, they upped the increase to makeup the shortfall handed out to lobbyists.
So they punished the poorer people and rewarded the wealthy lobbyists which will be the same this time.

They are not cutting the welfare handouts to Big AG so that shareholders and upper management continue to take in free money from other people.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I don't know, think I would go with a food dehydrator first.

lol, talk about work!

I have one I dry fruits with and jerky for me and the dogs.

Lots of slicing.

12 hr wait.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: VforVendettea
If you are young and healthy being on assistance should be unplesant. Maybe if it were they would get off of it as soon as they could.

Why? It leads to costly medical issues later in life, shorter life spans, fewer productive working years, and is uncomfortable in the present. How is suffering and debilitating our population a good thing?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: VforVendettea
If you are young and healthy being on assistance should be unplesant. Maybe if it were they would get off of it as soon as they could.

Why? It leads to costly medical issues later in life, shorter life spans, fewer productive working years, and is uncomfortable in the present. How is suffering and debilitating our population a good thing?

It makes some people feel good watching others suffering, it's an illness that some folk have, I would say they should be eliminated but that would make me as sick as they are so instead I just shake my head and feel sorry for them.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
Let’s not forget if we feed these people with healthy food can goods etc. instead of fast food and other crap maybe our health as a country will get better who knows.

The backyard or patio garden is a thing of the past, at least where it will feed everyone.
With Agenda 21 and Globalism, they want to cram as many people into one place so a patio garden will not cut it.

We are honestly going in the wrong direction.

With Globalism and Automation, there will be less jobs and more poor people, so I do not see how cutting food stamps is going to fix this.

The worker participation rate has been dropping for years and wages have always been stagnating.

From a capitalist point of view, if less people are working because they are lazy, then there should an abundance of jobs. If there is an abundance of jobs then wages should rise since there is more supply of jobs than demand.

That is not the case though. It is an employers market, if with less people working.
People say that with automation, new jobs will be created.

Well......

Where are they, worker participation rate due to automation and globalism has been dropping and so have wages AT THE SAME TIME so where are the new jobs then?

The current system is on its death bed.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
actually, there isn't nothing personal... I will neither be paying more in taxes if this blows up the cost of the food stamp program, and I won't be affected by it because I am not on the food stamp program.
my guess it that the proportion of people on food stamps buying decent food/ or not buying decent food is probably about the same as the rest of the population.
the food stamp program is one of the most cost effective programs, can't understand why we would want to screw with something so badly that is working.
and don't talk to me about how we have to cut our debt, not now, after the rich have gotten such nice big tax cuts. it just isn't gonna fly with me, sorry.

as far as quick judgements...

Shares of Dollar Tree Inc. and Dollar General Corp. both dropped on Monday after President Donald Trump unveiled the plan, which would slash cash payments and substitute them with packages of food -- potentially one of the biggest shake-ups in the history of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

The dollar chains are particularly vulnerable to the changes because they cater to less affluent shoppers. Dollar General and Dollar Tree’s Family Dollar division have signaled that food stamps account for roughly 5 percent of sales, according to Gordon Haskett Research Advisors analyst Chuck Grom.

But the changes -- if implemented -- would extend to a broad swath of the grocery industry, including Walmart Inc. and Kroger Co. The food-stamp program served 42.2 million people during the 2017 fiscal year, with many spending the benefits at supermarkets.

www.bloomberg.com...

it seems like wall street is already making some quick judgements on this...
funny how it's the dollar stores getting hit, isn't it... does that mean, could it possibly mean, that food stamp recipients are wiser than some believe them to be and are doing their best to stretch those dollars as far as they can???

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: NthOther

Well, its pretty interesting to me that no fresh fruit or vegetables are part of this package.

Anyone who has any idea about nutrition, will tell you that canned fruit and vegetables are no where near as rich in nutrition as vegetables are, and I think its important to make the following distinction.

Good food:

Something that the body requires, regardless of ones financial status.

Fast food:

No one needs McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, or Pizza Hut for nutritional purposes.

Regardless of ones employment or level of pay however, ones body will require fresh produce, especially in the fruit and vegetable department. More to the point, many types of canned fruit will have been packed in a sugary syrup, which means that consuming the product will slam ones glucose levels into orbit, which is not recommended. Obviously, this does not apply to vegetables, but frozen fruit and vegetables would be better for the person in question.

Relying on those canned products for ones RDA of fruit and vegetables therefore, has the potential to create an even more serious diabetes problem, than is currently the case in the USA. One would almost, ALMOST be better off with Scurvy, than to only be able to eat canned fruit and vegetables.

The trick with improving nutrition is getting fresh produce back into diets which have become increasingly artificial, and for that reason, there is no good excuse as to why no provision for fresh produce has been made in these packages... unless of course the packages are about control, rather than quality.

It's not quite that simple in the US. I've been on SNAP, I've had the $150/month food budgets. It's simply not possible to eat healthy on that. Fruit wise, grapes and apples are generally pretty cheap, and vegetable wise salad makings are pretty inexpensive. Beyond that, your options for fruit are processed apple sauce or those fruit cups. For vegetables you need to turn to frozen. The meat options are atrocious, mostly it's chicken. When you're on SNAP even that is eating well.

I used to eat a lot of crock pot soups because for $15 I could make a weeks worth of chicken and noodles or similar soups.

I've talked a few times about stumbling into a great job in recent months, having been on SNAP and disability, and going from that to a 6 figure job overnight. The biggest change to my life, has been that I'm not eating better. The food isn't more delicious (in fact, it tastes a little worse) but it's so much healthier. Fresh cut meats every day, fresh vs processed cheese, organic fruits and vegetables, fewer grains, actual juice, an endless supply of good bottled water... I'm eating better/healthier than ever before. Coincidentally, my grocery bill is higher than ever before. My budget used to be $40/week, and these days it runs nearly $40/day and for most people that's simply not realistic. Nutritious food needs to come down in price, so that people on SNAP, or even low to moderate grocery budgets can eat better. It won't solve all the problems in the world, but it would save enough on health issues on it's own that we would save some money.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

ya, I know... but, I ain't a single mom either, I am a disabled older person with grown kids. and bored... very, very bored.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: joeraynorPeople should not be purchasing food without nutrional value, and should not be purchasing luxury items.

Define luxury, pretty much by definition any food variety what so ever is a luxury. More specifically, any food at all is a luxury.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Same, I'm not taking it personal only despite volunteering with homeless and food banks(which I implore people helping with if they want to contribute). I see a lot of concerns first hand.

People overall want to address seeing shoppers who they blame as the sole abusers of the system as a main problem. No one wants to address corporate welfare, and some of that which may contribute to food stamp abuse.

Thanks for the link. I see a lot of donated dollar store foods at the food bank and know of people who use the dollar store/s for food shopping because of it's discount food.

WS acting early: after all the banks do manage the EBT cards, would assume they chart/know where the bulk of the shoppers spend their money.
edit on 13-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join