It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
a reply to: dawnstar

You have to look at the stats. People are not buying healthy food with food stamps. So now that this SOUNDS like we are getting emotional or something personal I am out of the topic. I just suggest to gather more info on the subject and try to make it better and save money on an entitlement program that is losing us billions of dollars a year. Don’t forget our government has to some how balance a 20 trillion dollar debt asap. Feel free to offer better ideas. Respectfully I get it.. let’s not forget we don’t even know the details of the idea. Allot of quick judgements.

They are just tossing ideas around to see what they can come up with to get people decent non perishable food stuffs and cut some waste and abuse in the program.

Now ya get a credit card, essentially.

People don't make the best choices, ever go shopping with kids?

Spend more time putting stuff back on the shelves.

Stuff like oatmeal is good. Cheap and healthy for all ages.

How many would buy it?

Hell, Ramen noodles even. Retail is what, 10 pks for a buck?

Add a fried egg and slice of ham, got a decent lunch or quick dinner. We use ham or a slice of fried Spam type meat.

Lots of ways to dress up the basics.

I'm sure someone can come up with an easy to read nutritional booklet with some recipes to put in the boxes.

Just think of the jobs that could be created. From the food and packaging producers to doorstep.

Besides, the food stuffs most likely would be from top brands in plain packaging. So there is that.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: oasisjack

Claim to be strong, and you're not even in the 1%. My first job out of college... actually in college because they recruited me to work before I got my degree, has a base rate of $100k/year, for 20 hours a week of remote work.

How hard do you work for your money?

Also, your life was given. Everyone who ever educated you gave you help. People who fed you. People who sold you reference materials. All of that assistance was given, you didn't earn any of it, because by definition you didn't know enough to do any meaningful work in the first place to have earned it.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
Actually, science has proven what things are best for you to eat. Ever hear of the food pyramid?

The food pyramid was pushed by certain companies and isn't really scientific. The food pyramid we had in my elementary school pushed pizza because it got dairy, meat, bread, and vegetables (the tomato sauce) in all the right quantities. Therefore it was the most nutritious thing we could eat.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Ramen noodles are horrible for the body, just saying.

I have worked since I was 17, I have one teenager that my insurance at Bell Atlantic paid for his birth, I paid for my own daycare for years, and even cashed in 2 401ks when I packaged out of Verizon so I didn’t have to go on welfare,
and you know what, I have never felt like I had a right to choose the food choices of welfare recipients, in fact I felt bad for them, for most are harshly judged because of the ones who are just sh+tty parents, and abusing the system.

It is DTAs job to vet them out.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Just think of the jobs that could be created. From the food and packaging producers to doorstep.

??? seems to me that outside of delivering it to their doorstep, all this work is already getting done..
so where is the need to create the jobs? how much will it cost to create these jobs? will others who have been doing these jobs before the change lose their jobs because of the change?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

Trump is a master at pandering to his base with BS to get them all fired up but never actually done.

This, like the wall will be tied up in the courts for years and years to eventually be dropped and forgotten.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This is as bad as Obama telling people what to eat.Betting NWO forces are more behind these desicions anyways.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
SNAP...is that the follow up of EBeeTee.

Didn't Harry Potter's elf use a finger snap to drop the cake on his house guests?

edit on 14-2-2018 by SickWave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

ya, I know... but, I ain't a single mom either, I am a disabled older person with grown kids. and bored... very, very bored.

Ok then, you would like it.

The stuff lasts pretty well too.

I usually get enough fruits that will take 2 days to cut and dry.

10 trays at a time.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

??? seems to me that outside of delivering it to their doorstep, all this work is already getting done..
so where is the need to create the jobs? how much will it cost to create these jobs? will others who have been doing these jobs before the change lose their jobs because of the change?

Someone has to put it into boxes and put the addresses on them. Get them onto the trucks.

The producers will probably have to ramp up production a bit. Drivers, someone has to walk it to the door or at least off the truck, the driver ain't gonna do it. lol.

Private sector jobs.

Right now, what's it take to transfer money into an account? Someone is getting big bucks to do that.

You know how govt works. Watch them guys fixing a pothole or digging a hole. Or (gasp) the DMV.

1 guy is working and 3 are watching. 10 bucks says it's the same in a govt office.

Maybe some of these food recipients will end up with a job?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
the mocking tone and derisive attitude among some posters here is offensive and lacking in compassion. Either none of you have kids or you are just totally out of touch with reality.

I and my kids are on SNAP right now. Its the first time in my life ive been on welfare, and by god im damn thankful for it. And ill take it a step further: im glad my growing children dont have to subsist on crappy food boxes with crappier "food" inside of them. Canned food? For growing kids....what country is this again?

Some of you laugh at blocks of cheese and peanut butter like its a right of passage. I wonder what other kinds of human suffering you find entertaining. Yeah, i remember being a poor ass kid on welfare in the 80s. I put water on off brand cold cereal because we ran out of the dry milk. Oh yeah, gooooood times. I wonder if you had a child and watched them do that if you would find it funny....and would you justify it by saying idiotic crap like "well you COULD be starving to death in africa".

Yeah, or i could have just been killed before i was born to spare myself the nonsensical clanging noise coming from something that calls itself a human being.

we are in America. The best country in the world.....right? I'm fresh from Germany where they dont have homeless people because they made it a priority as a first world nation to make sure vulnerable people are taken care of, no matter what it takes. I'm not even a democrat or an SJW but somehow i just dont feel good about myself or my country if we can allow people to not be taken care of. Its not a human right, but it IS the right thing to do. For all the money our country has spent on unjust wars and the untold suffering it has inflicted on millions of innocents around the world i think we can handle doling out some money to our own people to make sure the gov at least made an attempt to do the right thing. If the people abuse it then so be it. When you give a present or help you dont get to choose how its used, otherwise dont even bother, youll just look like a jerk.

Why did you leave Germany?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

How many would buy it?

Add a fried egg and slice of ham, got a decent lunch or quick dinner. We use ham or a slice of fried Spam type meat.

Ramen is certifiably awful for us with all the salt & fat packed in it. SO much salt in one pack. For the love of god, don't tout it as healthy cheap food, it's not. Tastes great and I love it based on taste alone, especially with an egg whisked in, but it's a health NUKE at best if relied on too often.
edit on 2/14/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Revisions necessary - Will re-post latter.
edit on 14-2-2018 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I'm all for the idea of limiting how foodstamp programs are used.

First off, I'm fine with my taxes going to feed families in need but as a hand up and not a handout. It should be used to get them back on their feet and not as a lifelong entitlement. Many decent people rely on these programs to feed their families and I'm glad it's available. As a former Medicaid employee for the state that dealt with the program, I've seen the abuse of SNAP benefits firsthand. Multiple people in one household collecting SNAP benefits totalling near $5000 a month and no punishment. Recipients trading groceries for 30 cents on the dollar because they receive too much in benefits per month. Criminals with no permanent residence or children receiving them. This is all without any need to look for employment if any type. The system regularly auto-renews recipients with no interviews, meetings, or forms. There is no oversight for SNAP in this state and the waste has to be tremendous.

I've always believed SNAP should be limited to healthier foods and family style meals as opposed to recipients using it for junk food. They should be restricted from items such as lobster and steak or candy and soda. Those are luxury foods and treats and it's wrong when many American taxpayers go without things like cable, satellite, and internet. They work hard but do without these luxuries to put food on their table and make ends meet. They have to prioritise like responsible people do. There's no logical reason for anyone using taxpayer funded foodstamp programs to eat better than those that work and fund the programs?

Plus, it would likely result in better child health, adult diabetes, and lower healthcare costs all around. Win-Win.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

How many would buy it?

Ramen is certifiably awful for us with all the salt & fat packed in it. SO much salt in one pack. For the love of god, don't tout it as healthy cheap food, it's not. Tastes great and I love it based on taste alone, especially with an egg whisked in, but it's a health NUKE at best if relied on too often.

Yeah? because who says? Your racist friends?

Half the world eats that and maybe it's the dumbass caucasians that have a problem with instant noodles.

Don't snort or shoot up the powder pack!

The pictures on the pack are clear enough that a monkey can make it.

But keep on munching ranch dorito's coz that's real food. Like quinoa and smoked salmon.

Maybe lose some weight if salt is a problem.

I have high blood pressure and am on 7.5 mgs of Amlodipine a day.

It's not from eating ramen.

edit on 2 14 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

How many would buy it?

Yeah? because who says? Your racist friends?

Half the world eats that and maybe it's the dumbass caucasians that have a problem with instant noodles.

Don't snort or shoot up the powder pack!

The pictures on the pack are clear enough that a monkey can make it.

But keep on munching ranch dorito's coz that's real food. Like quinoa and smoked salmon.

Jumping on the racist bandwagon over noodles? Nice cop-out. I think that speaks more of you than it does me here.

The students at Baylor studied a group of 10,000 South Korean adults ranging in ages from 19-64 to conduct this study. While we know that it is typical for Asian countries to consume any type of noodles on a regular basis, the students wanted to know what this does to a person's health. They found that people who ate instant noodles more than twice a week tended to suffer a condition called metabolic syndrome.

According to the National Institute of Health, metabolic syndrome names a group of risk factors that increase the risk of a person for developing a heart disease, diabetes, or a stroke. The risk factors include traits, conditions, or habits that increase your chance of developing a disease, such as eating instant noodles more than twice a week.

Here's the other thing about this: it did not matter what other foods the people studied ate, whether they had the healthiest or most unhealthy diet out of the group. Aside from the instant noodles, nothing else raised their risk of developing metabolic syndrome.

Ramen is particularly unhealthy because of a food additive found in them called Tertiary-butyl hydroquinone. TBHQ is a preservative that is a petroleum industry byproduct - not something you would typically want in the food that you eat. Ramen is also very, very high in sodium, calories, and saturated fat, and is considered damaging to your heart.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

first, we should ask, just what is this USDA food being used for now... I know they are currently distributing it to different groups... like native americans on the reservations. Do we have enough surplus to add the food stamp recipients to the list?

Yes we do.

"We have two or three times the amount of food right now that is needed to feed the number of people in the world," said Joshua Muldavin, a geography professor at Sarah Lawrence College who focuses on food and agricultural instruction.

"A lot of people aren't analyzing the situation correctly. We can deal with short-term food shortages after a disaster, but fixing long term hunger gets ignored," he said.

"We don't have food shortage problem," said Emelie Peine, a professor of international politics and economy at the University of Puget Sound.

"What we have is a distribution problem and an income problem," Peine said. "People aren't getting the food, ... and even if [they] did, they don't have enough money to buy it."

In any case, we're not talking about needing more food. We're talking about changing how we distribute food. People are not going to start eating more because it gets delivered to their door instead of having to go out and buy it.

second, yes, the stores make alot of profit off the food stamps, but it's the same profit that they would make from any other customer buying the same item. less profit means less tax revenue... less stock values, just saying.

Yes, it will make a difference on profits... but I don't think you realize what kind of profits are normal in the food industry. Take a look around the next time you shop for food. There's a ton of cash in those pretty fixtures and that pretty store, all made possible by the high markup. That's fine if someone wants to shop in pretty stores, but we're talking about the poor here. They need food, not pretty stores.

And the profit is actually a form of corporate welfare. I mentioned that briefly in my earlier post. If one receives $100 in food stamps, probably $50 of it goes to store/chain profit. That means we spend half of the entire US budget allocated to SNAP to benefit grocery chains. We also drive up the demand by forcing the poor to go through this profit machine, driving up grocery prices.

I am all for helping the poor, but my definition of "poor" does not include food distribution companies.

so you are telling me that it will cost alot less money for our gov't to process this food, load it up in trucks, or box it up and ship it to people's doors?? or is it more like they will contract some lucky companies to do this for them, and probably pay more!!!

Of course they will hire someone to do the distribution. But why do you think it is cheaper to lease a big building, maintain it, heat it, cool it, pay for expensive fixtures, stock it, and power it? Distribution is much cheaper than merchandising and maintaining a brick-and-mortar store. That's why, even with its buying power, Wal-Mart can still not compete with Internet companies like Amazon. Amazon uses warehouses, not stores; Amazon advertises on a screen, not a billboard-sized display.

your not saving a cent when it comes to processing the food stamp claims

No, you're not. But who cares? We'll save money, probably a lot of money, on the distribution. That's the bulk of the cost. it is silly to say that because one small part of the budget will not be affected, we should just forget even trying to save money on the bulk of the program. That's like driving to the most expensive store in town because it's no farther away from the cheapest. "I might as well pay more, because I won't save on gas by paying less."

the only way this makes sense is if they k now that a famine is coming and they want to ensure that the "worthy" will get the best food and the not so worthy gets the surplus that they've been accumulating for just such a time.

That is quite a stretch... anything to back that up, or is it wishful thinking?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I get food stamps. I get $120 a month and I have to spend very smartly to get enough food for me for the month. I would welcome this if the basket gave me more food for my money. If the basket was not as cost-efficient, it would be an annoyance.

It is definitely not cool for the government to decide what the people eat, however. I'm just at the point that I'm not picky as long as I get enough food for my money.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

How many would buy it?

Friggin too much water will kill ya.

Sorry to be so douche baggy.

No one is advocating a diet of asparagus and hollandaise, right?

A kid can make themselves a meal. Don't need mom or dad if they are working.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

There should be some restrictions on Food Stamps. I doubt buying soft drinks and Cheetos was the intent of food stamps.

But making poor people eat like starving people in Sudan with beans and rice is just as crazy.

I absolutely agree. I don't begrudge those on food stamps a bag of chips and a soft drink. I think it's silly to buy that kind of thing only, but then again, most poor folks are poor in part because they aren't good at handling money. That's not a cut; just a fact.

What I do begrudge is when they buy steak that I can't afford because to them, it's cheaper than dog food. And yes, I have seen that.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join