It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

But making poor people eat like starving people in Sudan with beans and rice is just as crazy.

Half the world eats Beans and rice as a main staple of their diet. It's not just for pore people starving in Sudan.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

edit on 13-2-2018 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

But making poor people eat like starving people in Sudan with beans and rice is just as crazy.

Half the world eats Beans and rice as a main staple of their diet. It's not just for pore people starving in Sudan.

Wahhhhh.

It's good food, don't get me wrong. I just made scratch refried beans today. Better and cheaper than buying a can of the bland stuff from the grocery store. Most of those people around the world who eat them as staples do so because they have to, they don't have a choice. 35% of the world doesn't have access to clean water as well, should the poor of America do that as well?

I agree that the SNAP program can be improved. We disagree on the methods I guess.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Wahhhhh.

It's good food, don't get me wrong. I just made scratch refried beans today. Better and cheaper than buying a can of the bland stuff from the grocery store. Most of those people around the world who eat them as staples do so because they have to, they don't have a choice. 35% of the world doesn't have access to clean water as well, should the poor of America do that as well?

I agree that the SNAP program can be improved. We disagree on the methods I guess.

I haven't made claim to how I think SNAP should be administered. I don't know much about SNAP.

But I do know that beans and rice aren't eaten just "because they have to" they are ingrained in many cultures.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

so, how long did it take to make your refried beans?
I haven't made them in long time, a real long time. I do occasionally make ham and bean soup and don't get me wrong, it's worth the time and effort to use the dried beans, if not just because they are so much cheaper than the canned, but they taste better also. But, I am sorry, I just can't see a single mom coming home from her 8 hour shift from her 9-5 job and deciding to make ham and bean soup that night.. it takes me three to four hours to make it and most of that time is simmering the beans. and, if not cooked well, they can be toxic and dangerous...
wildoats.com...

Those foods would include shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned meat, fruits and vegetables, according to the USDA. The department estimates that it could supply these goods at about half the cost of retail, slashing the cost of SNAP while still feeding the hungry.

www.washingtonpost.com...

and, reading this, it does sound like they are wanting to give out the good ole fashioned dried beans...
if you continue reading that article you will find out just how successful Blue Apron is. it seems that as much as one third the cost of a blue apron box goes for shipping and logistics and well, many of their customers have decided that it's cheaper for them to just go to the store and buy their own food.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

No it isn’t crazy logic. It’s boxing of food for people begging me (tax payers) for food, let me tell you the corruption in the welfare and food stamp system is unprecedented to most of the public, if they knew how, and how many people have been ripping us off they would and should be pissed. The suggestion is to buy food at whole sale which will save (us) money to feed those who are saying they are unable to work and survive, it removes the freedom or choice to sell snap credits for drugs, soda and or stupid crap, I also am aware people receive snap even thou they make plenty of unclaimed money etc. prevents playing the system. Snap also can be used to buy things such as hair products. Look the way I see it, is if this saves us billions and issues healthy food to those in need begging for help and prevents corruption I am for it...

It’s a no brained..

edit on 13-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Nope! you have it exactly backwards. The USDA's basic commodities will be the best of the best. The olive drab cans of Corn Meal, back in the eighties, made the best corn breads there ever were. When chain grocers started losing cash customers into trading schemes to procure some of this highest quality grain meal, then the knives came out.

The biggest thing is that these poor souls will need to learn how to cook for themselves. And if they cannot put it into a tin can, then welfare recipients still have to buy it from the chain groceries. Then these groceries next bugaboo becomes the local farmer's markets. Dairy and such, will still be sold, just like it is today, but Food Banks used to distribute truckloads of USDA commodities, around here. And all of the over prepared foodstuffs start losing their shine, when you have top quality home cooking, made from scratch. I can still remember some of those big blocks of USDA surplus cheese.

Hawaiians are still enamored by good old Spam. But their grocers also must stock big piles of 100 lb. bags of rice, much like we have bags of dry dog food, or ice melting salts, stacked up near our local store's front doors. So even in our semi tropical Paradise State, you do learn to cook from scratch. Lunch wagon, and take out foods, are way too expensive to live on.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

so, how long did it take to make your refried beans?
I haven't made them in long time, a real long time. I do occasionally make ham and bean soup and don't get me wrong, it's worth the time and effort to use the dried beans, if not just because they are so much cheaper than the canned, but they taste better also. But, I am sorry, I just can't see a single mom coming home from her 8 hour shift from her 9-5 job and deciding to make ham and bean soup that night.. it takes me three to four hours to make it and most of that time is simmering the beans. and, if not cooked well, they can be toxic and dangerous...
wildoats.com...

Those foods would include shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned meat, fruits and vegetables, according to the USDA. The department estimates that it could supply these goods at about half the cost of retail, slashing the cost of SNAP while still feeding the hungry.

www.washingtonpost.com...

and, reading this, it does sound like they are wanting to give out the good ole fashioned dried beans...
if you continue reading that article you will find out just how successful Blue Apron is. it seems that as much as one third the cost of a blue apron box goes for shipping and logistics and well, many of their customers have decided that it's cheaper for them to just go to the store and buy their own food.

Can't think of an easier food. Soak them overnight and slowly cook adding water and onions and garlic and spices. A $4 bag will last weeks if not a month.

I looked at Blue Apron, too expensive. Whole Foods is the same for me, too much for what you get.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

Sigh, if they need instructions to put peanut butter and jelly to bread it’s a reach for an excuse to keep the system in place... I see the aclu, trying to get involved next for some moron dying from salmenella, or getting sick, because well either they are gaming a corrupt side of our system or they are just idiots.. weak argument to me, to keep an entitlement in some people’s minds..

Not to mention we have library’s and a thing called google.. so used to hands outs they can’t use their brains? I doubt that is true...
edit on 13-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Wahhhhh.

I haven't made claim to how I think SNAP should be administered. I don't know much about SNAP.

But I do know that beans and rice aren't eaten just "because they have to" they are ingrained in many cultures.

I live in china so rice is a no brainer.

Black beans and rice is killer.

Pasta fragoli

Red Beans and rice, cajun style.

Dirty rice.

Urban dwellers need a cookbook unless they grew up with beans and rice dishes.

Healthy and delicious.

I make these, starting with dried black beans, easy.

I use Montreal steak seasoning and herbs de provence, don't spare the seasoning.

roasted black beans

soak at least 8 hrs.

Dry very well.

in a bowl, olive oil and whatever spices

Very little oil!

spread on baking paper, 1 layer

start with cold oven, 190-200C

40 mins and shut heat, leave in oven till
cool.

edit on 2 13 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

so you are telling me that it will cost alot less money for our gov't to process this food, load it up in trucks, or box it up and ship it to people's doors?? or is it more like they will contract some lucky companies to do this for them, and probably pay more!!!

Exactly, what are the plans here and how much will it cost as compared to EBT food or half of the divided half EBT food becoming similar to WIC designated products.

Weigh the costs of having to drive to people's home to drop off that packages if that is the plan or run a place that people pick up the supplies at if not the food banks.

As I mentioned earlier, food banks do give out USDA packages-though the products aren't necessarily made by the USDA. Though, it seems reservations are the ones mostly obtaining the USDA made food items for the packages.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Montreal Steak Seasoning is my Universal Seasoning. It's amazing how often use it.

That, Curry and Cumin.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

No no, I doubt it will be delivered they will have to goto churches or food banks. My ass it will be delivered. They have to be productive and travel, to get the food...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It sucks for those that really need snap and use it in need etc. whatever, I don’t want to rub off as draconian here but snap needs to be reformed, welfare also but that is another topic, it’s outdated and was made for another time when trust and honor may have been more fluent in our society..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I'll stick with the ham and bean soup thank you... not really fond of refried beans.
but it's not so much weather it's easy or not, it's that it's really quite time consuming. a working single mom might not really have that kind of time to sit and babysit her beans.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
It should be for healthy essential products, that’s it! No soda, no candy, no KFC, no fast food! Believe it or not, in New York this is racist. Your denying people of color enjoyable things in life like McDonalds and Pizza Hut. My state is one of madness

You can buy Food at McDonald's with SNAP?

California, Arizona, etc., allow EBT to buy fast food for seniors, homeless and the disabled, in some of the counties.
See here

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

“States can distribute these boxes through existing infrastructure, partnerships, and/or directly to residences through commercial and/or retail delivery services,” the department said in a statement.

time.com...

I guess they are leaving the distribution headache to the states?? so ya, there might be some savings for the federal gov't, but it could be that their savings will mean an increased cost on the state level.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

“States can distribute these boxes through existing infrastructure, partnerships, and/or directly to residences through commercial and/or retail delivery services,” the department said in a statement.

time.com...

I guess they are leaving the distribution headache to the states?? so ya, there might be some savings for the federal gov't, but it could be that their savings will mean an increased cost on the state level.

Sounds like a job for Amazon!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
i will just put this here

Yup.. it’s for real in Tennessee. That’s right folks if you owe fed taxes this year your helping people look cool..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

I used to work as a substitute, after school counselor, and lunch/recess monitor for about 5 years, 1 year was in AZ, and I volunteered to teach the art class in my sons 2nd grade school because it was AZ, and funds were tight.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching a child have to eat a cheese sandwich because his parents can’t afford lunch, while they are crying. I can’t tell you how many times I paid for kids lunches, and even ice creams so they could feel like everyone else. Yet food gets thrown away.

I’ve been well off, and due to my ex becoming addicted to opioids after a car accident, I became homeless with a 9 year old. I did whatever job I could to bring in money. It was hard, but I grew up dirt poor, so I can go without very easily.

My son would absolutely not eat canned vegetables, they had to be fresh. Luckily, I can cook, and crockpots can extend meals for days.

I have seen people abuse the SNAP program, they were always the ones who used drugs.

I am very grateful for the help I got when I needed it; but I also paid taxes for 30 years before I needed it, and quite a bit.

The real problem is nobody wants to pay for birth control, but nobody wants to feed them either.

PICK ONE!

Honestly, I met heroin addicts at DTA who were in their 20s getting food stamps.

I do NOT like this plan. Fresh vegetables are better than canned, and fresh carrots are actually cheaper because you can get several servings out of a bunch. Not everybody has a garden.

If kids aren’t eating right shouldn’t the drs they see figure that out and address it?

Also, life can turn on a dime, Illnesses, Loss of jobs, not everybody makes bad choices; sometimes, misfortune happens. There but for the grace of god!

edit on 13-2-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join