It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I can give you an example of SNAP and Medicaid that has stuck with me since I left state employment. So I get this call from a married man with 2 children. He explains that he has made over $127,000.00 from February to October but is laid off 3 months out of the year. His family instantly qualifies for both healthcare, SNAP, and other benefits. He was only calling to get his kids' healthcare card numbers to set an appointment. Come to find out after making small talk that he doesn't get laid off at all as he would be eligible for unemployment and it would put his family over the income threshold for these programs. The truth is that he takes off 3 months of the year to come back for bow hunting season. Think of that for a moment... $127k in 9 months. Eligibility for state programs. 3 months of vacation. Legally passes all the requirements. Plus, once you're on the state healthcare program, you receive all free dental (adults dental is limited) and healthcare which are both retroactive dating 90 days meaning he only has to pay his family's coverage 6 months out of a year. I don't blame the man, hell...I was quite impressed that he had learned the loopholes.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I hear all these stories about abuse of snap. I'm from Detroit and I've had snap since 2005 because I'm on disability. I've seen a lot of people use snap over the years. The worst abuse I ever saw was a lady purchase 5 bottles of power aide.

I include food stamps as part of my income. I'm going to eat what ever I feel like eating. I already survive on a 3rd world income. So what if I want to buy some ice cream on sale. You can stick it where the sun don't shine. I get X amount a month and it's none your business what I eat.

What because you pay taxes you think you have the right to dictate what I do with my life. Up yours!

You wanna know what I'm eating tonight? Pizza that I bought with snap.

1. I don't have to spend 3 hours cooking it and cleaning a mess.

2. I get 4 meals out of it at $1.50 a meal.

3. I can eat it all before it goes bad.

One of my local stores sells a giant party tray pizza that I have to cook myself for $6. It's 18"x 14" and it I get more food out of one of these pizza's then 4 boxes of mac and cheese.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I hear all these stories about abuse of snap. I'm from Detroit and I've had snap since 2005 because I'm on disability. I've seen a lot of people use snap over the years. The worst abuse I ever saw was a lady purchase 5 bottles of power aide.

I include food stamps as part of my income. I'm going to eat what ever I feel like eating. I already survive on a 3rd world income. So what if I want to buy some ice cream on sale. You can stick it where the sun don't shine. I get X amount a month and it's none your business what I eat.

What because you pay taxes you think you have the right to dictate what I do with my life. Up yours!

One of my local stores sells a giant party tray pizza that I have to cook myself for $6. It's 18"x 14" and it I get more food out of one of these pizza's then 4 boxes of mac and cheese.

Wow, so you're worried about cooking because you don't want to clean up a mess? That came across as really lazy and that is the root cause of the anger these programs raise. I'm glad you're getting the help you need but it's not free. Those of us that are paying 30% from our checks are the reason you have a pizza in the oven. As far as sticking it where the sun doesn't shine, that's the definition of biting the hand that feeds you. Yes, its your life but show some gratitude that there is a safety net for those in your position. Without our taxes, you would be forced to work or starve, disabled or not. It's people like you that show no appreciation but have the nerve to bitch while many of us are burning our candles at both ends to not only support our own families but folks like yourself.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

I think some of the biggest scumbags are the ones who can’t afford to feed themselves but still decide to bring children into the world.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros

originally posted by: wantsome

Wow, so you're worried about cooking because you don't want to clean up a mess? That came across as really lazy and that is the root cause of the anger these programs raise. I'm glad you're getting the help you need but it's not free. Those of us that are paying 30% from our checks are the reason you have a pizza in the oven. As far as sticking it where the sun doesn't shine, that's the definition of biting the hand that feeds you. Yes, its your life but show some gratitude that there is a safety net for those in your position. Without our taxes, you would be forced to work or starve, disabled or not. It's people like you that show no appreciation but have the nerve to bitch while many of us are burning our candles at both ends to not only support our own families but folks like yourself.
Lazy you don't have the first clue of what I've done today. Yeah I paid into system too and I didn't ask to get sick. When I was working I was making more in a week then I get now in a month. Not once did I ever look at my check and think the useless eaters in this country were taking food out of my mouth. You smoke or drink regularly? do you eat healthy? You better hope you don't get sick before you retire. Better stuff some money away because if you have to go on disability you'll lose everything. I was a highly skilled metal model maker before I got sick. I was making $800 a week. I started out cleaning toilets and worked my way up. If I didn't get sick I would be making $2000 a week right now. Yeah I love being on disability because sitting around broke all the time waiting to die is so much fun.
edit on 14-2-2018 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I can give you an example of SNAP and Medicaid that has stuck with me since I left state employment. So I get this call from a married man with 2 children. He explains that he has made over $127,000.00 from February to October but is laid off 3 months out of the year. His family instantly qualifies for both healthcare, SNAP, and other benefits. He was only calling to get his kids' healthcare card numbers to set an appointment. Come to find out after making small talk that he doesn't get laid off at all as he would be eligible for unemployment and it would put his family over the income threshold for these programs. The truth is that he takes off 3 months of the year to come back for bow hunting season. Think of that for a moment... $127k in 9 months. Eligibility for state programs. 3 months of vacation. Legally passes all the requirements. Plus, once you're on the state healthcare program, you receive all free dental (adults dental is limited) and healthcare which are both retroactive dating 90 days meaning he only has to pay his family's coverage 6 months out of a year. I don't blame the man, hell...I was quite impressed that he had learned the loopholes.

This right here is what needs to change! $127k and he got welfare, unbelievable.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

This right here is what needs to change! $127k and he got welfare, unbelievable.
In my state you can't have more then $3000 in assets to collect snap or Medicaid. If your car is worth more then $3000 your disqualified. They check with the department of motor vehicles. You have to give all bank account information for everyone in the household. They want bank statements and account numbers. You also have to give over all 401k information. If you lie and they catch you you will be prosecuted.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
There should be some restrictions on Food Stamps. I doubt buying soft drinks and Cheetos was the intent of food stamps.

If you want people to eat healthier, fund SNAP better so that they can afford good food. People buy junk food because it fits their budget. Cheetos are a calorie dense food that costs virtually nothing. Now go look at what it costs to have a nice kale salad. Eating healthy costs at least 4x more than eating unhealthy does.

Of course, the counter argument to this, is the typical steak and lobster argument, where the working poor are upset that they can't afford to eat healthy and are also forced to junk food, but someone poorer than them can. So if you actually try and regulate it so that people buy healthy food, you'll simply upset people even more.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
Can't think of an easier food. Soak them overnight and slowly cook adding water and onions and garlic and spices. A $4 bag will last weeks if not a month.

And what exactly is a homeless person going to do to get by on all this must cook food?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
a reply to: dreamingawake

No no, I doubt it will be delivered they will have to goto churches or food banks. My ass it will be delivered. They have to be productive and travel, to get the food...

Oh, you just want to control people. When I was on food stamps a few years ago, I used to be forced to attend church dinners due to a lack of other options for food. Do you know what one of the worst feelings in the world is? It's when you're forced to pray to a religion different from your own, to thank a God you don't believe in, in order to be fed.

Church needs to stay way the f away from everything related to helping people.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It’s an attempt to provide healthier food. Believe it or not we will save money.

Processed, boxed/canned food that's loaded with preservatives and salt is not healthier. A box of hamburger helper is just as bad for you as a pint of ice cream.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

a reply to: dawnstar

You have to look at the stats. People are not buying healthy food with food stamps. So now that this SOUNDS like we are getting emotional or something personal I am out of the topic. I just suggest to gather more info on the subject and try to make it better and save money on an entitlement program that is losing us billions of dollars a year. Don’t forget our government has to some how balance a 20 trillion dollar debt asap. Feel free to offer better ideas. Respectfully I get it.. let’s not forget we don’t even know the details of the idea. Allot of quick judgements.

Know why people don't buy healthy food with food stamps? It's too damn expensive. Most people, regardless of their method of payment don't buy healthy food. Take a look at peoples grocery carts sometime. 85% or maybe more of what's in grocery stores is junk food. It's either salted or sugared, very little is actually healthy.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Someone has to put it into boxes and put the addresses on them. Get them onto the trucks.

The producers will probably have to ramp up production a bit. Drivers, someone has to walk it to the door or at least off the truck, the driver ain't gonna do it. lol.

Private sector jobs.

All of that packaging already happens when it's sent to grocery stores. Then happens again when it's bagged. You're actually cutting jobs by doing this.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If you are looking at INCOME alone and not assets...you're doing it wrong.

I call BS.

POSSIBLY qualifies for Medicaid...SNAP tho? Dude making 127k annually has more than $2500 in countable resources (vehicles, property, 401ks) to disqualify.

But as a eligibility tech, you would KNOW this...right?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
What I do begrudge is when they buy steak that I can't afford because to them, it's cheaper than dog food. And yes, I have seen that.

Most food is cheaper than dog food. Reasonable dog food is $40 a pound from Amazon, more to buy retail.

www.chewy.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: 99problems
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Only going to add my personal experiences on this subject, over the years I've had a lot of friends that've had EBT or snap or something at one point in time or another, and literally every single one of them has offered to sell them to me, for example, let me use their card for 100 worth of groceries or whatever for $50 cash, I've never actually done it but this has happened 4 or 5 times in my life. I'm just one tiny person in an ocean of people, can't even imagine the massive fraud and abuse this system creates.

So every time you saw it happen, it failed? That's not doing much for your claim of fraud.

Let me let you in on a secret when you're poor. Sometimes you need to buy things SNAP doesn't cover. Do you know how people tend to view those things? You start counting the cost of items, not in dollars but in missed meals. Need to use an extra gallon of gas? That's 1 days food allotment you need to skip.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
I wonder if they will just get walmart and other retailers to pack and send these food boxes. Different type foods for different type diets. I bet they could do it this way and still save monies.

Is that an improvement? That's corporate welfare. Under the current system the recipient can choose who they want to spend their assistance with rather than locking it in with specific large companies that can afford lobbyists.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
There is no denial of choice... it is painfully obvious that not everyone can have peanut butter, or nuts, or cheese. There will by necessity be allowances for this. And no one is saying cut out all the money. The cards will still stay, just a portion of that money will be taken and a greater amount of food provided directly. The home delivery would be a great help for the disabled and elderly/infirm because they won't have to fight the traffic and crowds. The reduced demand on the grocery chains will create lower prices for everyone else, which will then translate over time to lower prices for the food delivered.

Not true. Your entire premise is that you want to deny them the choice to buy junk food.

Also, most food from these programs should be considered junk food. Rice is bad in excess, so is pasta, meats tend to be processed meats, and so on. These packages aren't healthy, they're a bunch of processed crap that's loaded with preservatives, hell most cereal (another staple these programs give out) is less nutritious than the cardboard box it's packaged in. This stuff is no healthier than bags of chips and it not only removes choice in food, but purchasing power to choose where you'll shop and what you'll buy.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Those are the few and far in between who are scamming it. And plain hamburger isnt top of the line meat. water is as exspensive as soda these days in stores. So where is the savings? In trumps mind thats where.

Water costs more than soda actually.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnathrosWithout our taxes, you would be forced to work or starve, disabled or not.

Starvation is a temporary problem, after 30 days you don't have to worry about it anymore. Food insecurity is something you have to live with for decades and a constant source of worry for many.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join