It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying warm in the Great White North

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 03:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That’s good advice, thanks for sharing. 🎄

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Do you know which tea candle flower pot (with bricks) method works the best without toxic carbon monoxide levels? I can't find a technique on you tube from preppers that does not have dangerous carbon monoxide levels - around 10 ppm was recorded using 4 candles under 1 flower pot.

Safe Levels of Carbon Monoxide. CO is measured in parts-per-million, or PPM. At levels over 9 PPM, CO begins to adversely affect your health if you persist in breathing it for over eight hours. At levels above 400 PPM, one should expect to have only three to five hours until unconsciousness and death.

Could it be the type of candle? Would beeswax candles be safer? I hope someone has experience with this because every time there is any type of moderate storm my power here fails.

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Living in the house with the wife and three cats tends to make you go just a little nuts. Oh, can't forget the fish and the deer that come to our door for food.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
For all you California haters; on business here in LA, 77 degrees in Ventura with good sets.

www.surfline.com...@34.006316532201055,-118.98330688476564,9z

Leaving for the land of Enchantment tonite....51 degrees F......brrrrrrrr!

edit on 24-12-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Love your warming tips. I would just like to upvote the down comforter and window wraps, well the hot water bottle also.

I didn't get a down comforter until I was in my late 50's. I always thought they were much too expensive. Fortunately I was looking one day and found a good quality one on sale on the internet. I purchased it and I have never been more in love with an inanimate bed accompaniment. One of the best things I have EVER bought in my life and I wish I had purchased one years ago. It's unbelievably luxurious besides being warm, don't forget to get a cover for it or even a pretty sheet to protect it from dirt. The window wraps.....I went from ice on the inside of the windows to no draft whatsoever and never ice on the window wraps. The rooms are immensely warmer even though there is still ice on the inside of the window.

The hot water bottle, never a fire hazard and warm for a long time. And very portable.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Army surplus woolen blankets are
made to keep you warm esp. when
bugging out , camping.
OR you can do the baked potato version

eadn-wc04-4217783.nxedge.io...

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Weather Manipulation is not out of the Question here . 9 Degrees Presently here in South Jersey on the Coast . I have NEVER Seen it this Cold in this area EVER . Nothing happens without a Sinister Purpose Nowadays...........

banned.video...

edit on 25-12-2022 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If you have a self-cleaning oven,
Now's the time to do it

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
As the weather dips I'd like to share my tips on staying warm. I live in a very cold climate where it is winter basically 6 months out of the year. I am almost always cold, colder than the average person. Most of these tips are very cheap and will help reduce your electric/heating bills. These are all just my opinion and a bit from my elderly Asian mother.

First of all keep your house humidity up. I find using a small humidifier works better than the whole house ones, and you can clean it better. Humidity should be around 50%, your house will feel much much warmer if property humidified. don't overdo it or you could get mold.

Use those plastic window wraps, I know they can be ugly, but they are making them better and clearer than every before. I had friends that laughed that we used them, and the very next month they were putting them up too. They make an astounding difference. Don't over do it as you do need some air flow in your house. Try one window and feel the before and afterl I don't care what kind of window you have they will all benefit from the plastic. I have one of the industry best insulated windows, and I still use the wrap! For doors use those draft blockers, and if you have a very drafty door hang a curtain rod above the door and hand a quilt up there. They make a special silicone caulk that you can use outside your windows, or anywhere that is drafty. There are two kinds, permanent and removeable. You want the removeable ones on the windows.

In winter don't have any cold floors exposed, use throw rugs everywhere. Wear socks at all times. It is very unhealthy to allow cold to travel into the body from your feet. Some say this can cause infertility and other health problems.

Buy hot water bottles and fill them with hot water. You would not believe how warm these can keep you and for a long time. This coupled with a down comforter and you could probably sleep with the heat almost turned off. I know down is very expensive, but it is one of those things that will pay for itself ten times over. I've used down alternative and never felt it was as good. A good quality down blanket and two hot water bottle is all you need, trust me on this! This can outdo any electic blanket hands down! The hot water bottles are super cheap and last a very long time. We don't use covers on ours. One other tip for the bed. Put a comforter under your fitted sheet like a mattress pad. It has to be a comforter, I don't know why but this reflects the warmth right back onto you unlike pads. In spring take it out.

You know what your mom said about layers, well she was right, but it has to be the right kind of layers. One of the warmest type of clothing is silk. Silk is very expensive if you purchased it at an outdoor store etc, but you can find it for next to nothing on Ebay and other online sites. Wear silk as a base layer and something breathable on top. Next to silk pure linen is also good. Speaking of clothing, I have three winter coats, a Michael Kors wool coat, a North Face and a Walmart coat. I can say hands down the Walmart coat is the warmest. It isn't as pretty as the other two but it is my go to for warmth. Remember we aren't talking high fashion, we are just talking warmth.

You have a lot of heat loss out of your head but I feel keeping your ankles and wrist warm will keep you warmer overall. Some Asians believe it is healthier to let your head breathe in winter.

Eat warming foods. Yes there is such a thing as warming and cooling foods. In western society we tend to just eat whatever we want at any time. It is better to eat traditonal winter foods, stews, things cooked slow and low with little water. No ice cream!! Root crops and meats. Basically eat like our ancestors did and for the season.

I hope some of these tips helped! good luck and stay warm during the holidays!

We are from the cold (and extremely liberal) state of Minnesota so we know what it is like to be COLD AS HELL. It is not the state to live in if you happen to be a nudist so I am not sure why we are here.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join