It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying warm in the Great White North

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I used to be able to handle the extreme cold or hot with no problem, but I find as I'm getting older my body just can't seem to tolerate either one anymore.

have you considered cutting open a Tauntaun and crawling inside it for warmth?

I only do that when I'm on an ice floe hunting trip clubbing baby seals.

Good times

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I also lived in Florida for a few years and I can say hands down it is easier to acclimate to cold. It took me four years to get used to the heat in Florida and to even wear a pair of jeans. Their summers are exactly like our winters. They stay inside, they are always trying to cool off from the high heat. I remember when it got 40 degrees in Florida and people were crying how cold it was and full grown men were wearing blankets outside. I wish I were kidding but I'm not. The other weird thing, in school they had the kids bring winter wear (which is impossible to find down there) and pretend to have a snow day. Although I miss the beach and some of the more temperate days, I really really missed the snow of the north. The holiday don't feel holidayish down there. Christmas lights on palm trees don't cut it for me. I dislike large bugs and our brutal winters pretty much takes care of a lot of the creepy crawleys!

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yup, the human animal is an adaptive beast, no doubt about it. We acclimate to our surrounding environment after a certain length of time.

I have an aunt and uncle who live in Florida, they've been down there for going on 40 years now. When they come up here to visit during the summer months (+30 temps), they're wrapped up in sweaters and stuff complaining about how chilly it is. They refuse to visit in the winter because they can no longer tolerate it.

Crazy !

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Did you disown them because they are weak?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Did you disown them because they are weak?

I should, shouldn't I ?!

Nah, my crazy old aunt can still drink me under the table... and that's saying a lot.

Needless to say, she's my favourite aunt even though we hardly ever see each other.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Needless to say, she's my favourite aunt even though we hardly ever see each other.

Is that because she isn't visible from your vantage point under the table?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Is that because she isn't visible from your vantage point under the table?

I never thought of it like that, but dang I think you're right !

Plus she has sexy tanned ankles, so the view from the knees down is enjoyable.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Great post, I'm in a cold climate area as well, and thought to add a few things if that's okay.

Fireplaces need the damper closed when not in use. It will draw the heat directly out of your room/home.

If you have a private well for a water source, keep everything insulated and heat taped if necessary. Broken pipes are no fun when it's 70 degrees, let alone -20 degrees.

A 100 watt heat lamp can keep a bathtub of water warm (or a living room )enough to be a thermal battery, that's cheaper than cranking up the thermostat and running the furnace more. Fans, solenoids, and ignition use more electric than a 100 watt bulb.

Also there are dryer vent heat exchangers that will allow you to retain some of the nice warm humid air from your regular laundry drying.

If you have a woodstove - get an ecofan. They are totally free to operate and circulate 100cfm of heat when you might lose power due to storms. They are pretty cheap too- I purchased one for 60$.

That's all I have to add off the top of head.
Stay warm people.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
*Gives CranialSponge some ice* (for the sick burn inflicted by AM.)

edit on 10-12-2017 by Autorico because: added stuffs

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Shhhhy

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Yes please add! I feel like a lot of people, especially the young ones (maybe old ones toojust don't know some of these thing. Some of the best survival tips are passed down from older folks. I think we just don't listen much anymore! Just think of the people from the depression era. They really knew how to survive on next to nothing!

I'll have to look into that dryer vent exchanger, sounds interesting.

Another one I forgot, take your screens off your windows in winter. It can block 30% or more of the suns rays from warming your house!

If you are buying a new house in a cold climate get a house facing South, (unblocked southern exposure). Huge difference in heat, and snow will melt faster on your driveway!

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
A memory foam mattress, a quilt and....

...its all a person needs to stay warm and toasty.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I prefer Talisker, but you are definitely on the right track.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I prefer

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I keep a bottle of Laphroaig in the pantry, but my taste runs more to a nice mellow American whiskey for sipping. It simply does not get any smoother than GJ.

Memory foam was one of the best investments I ever made. It's wonderful in the winter and we can turn the heat down an extra 10 degrees (Fahrenheit). Paid for itself and winter heating bills can get pretty high here some winters.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I have a menopausal wife. She is like an oven and keeps it cold in the house, so I layer in the house and at night , she keeps me very warm in bed.

All these are very good tips, OP. I used alot of them while living Iowa.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Never tried that one. Usually Canadian stuff is a little to fruity and sweet for my taste.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Lol, I too have a menopausal wife. Her hot flashes can make it rain inside the house.
I feel for ya.

I'll have to try the Wispers, the common Canadian whiskey in these parts is Windsor. It'll do in a pinch, but not my preference.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

My grandfather used to keep a bottle of GJ in the pantry. Good stuff, but I'm too sentimental to drink it without missing him, so I stay away.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Bah humbug to all three of you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join