It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying warm in the Great White North

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Crown tastes watered down to me. It has no bite

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I like that it has no bite.

Just a nice mellow smooth growl as it slides down the gullet.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I live in the U.P. What is summer?

Living in the house with the wife and three cats tends to make you go just a little nuts. Oh, can't forget the fish and the deer that come to our door for food. We talk to the animals a little too much since we retired, practicing for Alzheimer disease.

Ummm....fish come to your door?
Do they ring or knock?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
We had a comforter with real wool batting in it. Wonderful. My ex has it. sigh....

By the way fish slap the door with their tails!

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LeoLeoMidWest

Wool filling sounds very warm!!

We have this plant called Milkweed here. During the war they asked children to pick the fluff to fill the lifejackets for soldiers. I found out old timers used that fluff the same way as down, and unlike down people with allergies seem to have no problem with it and according to some it is actually warmer than down!

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm an audiophile, in the summer I run solid state gear as it generally runs cooler. In the winter I switch it up to tube gear, it runs hot but I make use of the heat it produces while enjoying the sweet music it makes

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Nothing like a bowl of fresh homemade soup on a cold day!!
ANY soup after coming in from the cold is amazing!!

It also makes the house smell really good.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks for the tips.

I'm horrible with the cold. I can't stand it one bit (bleh!). It shuts me down as if I were a reptile. I start getting cold when it's in the 50s, so I could never move to some of the regions mentioned in this thread. But I guess it helps to know how to handle it just in case.

My State can get cold in the winters (wind chill -10), but that's the brief extreme. Put it like this, our tomato plants finally died off mid November, and that's because it dipped below 32 degrees overnight. It's fluctuating between the 40s and 20s for the forseeable future. And that's still too cold. Hmph.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Cool purple bags, but beyond that?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

originally posted by: rickymouse
I live in the U.P. What is summer?

Living in the house with the wife and three cats tends to make you go just a little nuts. Oh, can't forget the fish and the deer that come to our door for food. We talk to the animals a little too much since we retired, practicing for Alzheimer disease.

Ummm....fish come to your door?
Do they ring or knock?

There is a door opening on top of the aquarium on the cover. I totally screwed up the fish part in that to make it look like they come to the door, so I made this up to answer. There actually is a door though, so the fish don't jump out, but it was too hard to keep opening so we took it off.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Where is it that you are from where it gets so cold?

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Thanks for supplying these tips and information JS.
That is very giving, and generous of you.

Here is some complimentary tips:
Layers, layers, layers. Buy some good quality under-layers, it's worth it.
If your feet are getting cold: change socks and boots/boot liners.
Apply coconut oil to your skin often. Buy a tub at Costco, and it's good for many other things.
When working outdoors in cool or cold weather, with a little breeze: your fingers can get really cold if you need to take off your mitts or gloves to do some fine work. Like handling small screws, or other small fine pieces. Keep putting coconut oil on your hands, and wear some surgical gloves, or latex/nitrile gloves. Keeping the chapping wind off of your hands is vital.
Sleep in a nest of a thousand blankets, cushions, and pillows.
Hold your partner close.
Drink warm fluids, like: toddy; glogg; or even a petit gin chaud.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have a lower than average body temperature. Around 94 degrees.
I can walk in ice and snow barefoot and shirtless with no real discomfort.
It is nice to have snuggle buddy to sleep with.
A dog will do, but a nice plump gal is hard to beat.
It is worth noting that my hair hangs to near my ass.
edit on 10-12-2017 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I lived in Weyburn one winter, building steel grain silo's..damn it was pretty cold, the constant wind was awesome too

It had it's charms though..there are times I miss it.
The job was tough..lots of nuts and bolt's, very hard to do that stuff with gloves on.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There are lots of deer to choose from, it's a tight squeeze though.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wisconsin!

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Menopause is an excellent free heating source. An inner-body furnace fires up every couple of hours and I have to go barrelling out the house to stand n the freezing winter snow to cool off. Sweating hell fire.

Then it passes I suddenly get cold and have to come running back indoors sharpish.

I'm sure my neighbours must think I'm nuts.

I'm surprised TPTB haven't yet found a way to harvest the excess heat energy we menopausal ladies magically produce in much abundance. Perhaps they're working on it.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Oh, well, I grew up in western Wyoming and it gets mighty FROSTY there too!

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I didn't read the whole thread so if someone else said this already I apologize.

Get a medium size ceramic flower pot, 8-10 inches diameter at the top, and the ceramic base for a small ceramic flower pot. Put a votive candle on the small base and place the larger flower pot over the top of it upside down. Make sure it is shimmed at the bottom so air can get in. The heat that comes off that ceramic pot will amaze you. And its very inexpensive to keep it going all winter long.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
love this thread! i have been on a warm weather clothing shopping spree lol!!! things i have learned that help for me are layers made out of quality materials,

1st layer - base layer - preferably a moisture wicking long sleeve
2nd layer - insulation layer - a fleece or thick sweater preferably w a mock neck to keep neck warm and zippered pockets.
3rd layer - sheilds you from the elements - preferably water /wind proof, zippered outside/inside pockets, adjustable hood.
4th layer - if needed sub zero temps - same as 3rd layer but should be longer and have a good hood.

warm socks, gloves, waterproof boots, winter hat and balaclavas are excellent as well!
edit on 11-12-2017 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join