It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the truth of the dying polar bear ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
hi - the tail if the straving polar bear is " APPARENTLY " going viral on teh internut

so i figured that a discussion of the claims was ATS`worthy

here is the origional tail :

reportage

instragram origional

i has included 2 sources - as i am uncertain what unregistered people can see on instagram accounts

but hey - the TL : DR =

starving polar bear - cannot find food because .............. global warming

and that ladies and gentlemen is why i am compelled to write this thread

holy fooking unevidenced assumption mr nicklen

no actual evidence is presented to support the " conclusion "

hey - the conclusion MAY be correct - but there are scorse of other explainations that could have led to that ONE bears predicament

and thats the problem - mr necklen chose the " explainsation " he wanted to believe - ansd published it as a fact - now its beeing regurgitsated world wide - with zero analysis

that i find most disturbing = the lack of any case follow up , co-oberating evidence or data that indicates this was anything but an unique incident

i wonder why that is ?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I was just talking to a friend about this a few minutes ago while discussing fake news...this came up.

It is a tugging on the heart strings piece,click bait IMO.

A few yrs ago,I read about polar bears moving more inland and breeding with grizzly bears.(too lazy to look right now)
The strong are learning to adapt to the changing environment,while the weak are dying off...its nature.

The environmentalists are going crazy about this without knowing a thing about how species evolve and carry on.

Yes,it is a sad thing....but that is nature,the strong carry on and the weak die out.

A quick search brought me a few things just on ats about this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-12-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Did all the water in the sea just leak into the ground or something? I thought Polar Bears hung out around water... Where the food is... Where is the water? Oh noooos! Global warming made the sea vanish! No food for the bear.

Yeah, I'm with you. Sensationalism is what's in. If that bear were really starving, I doubt it would have the energy to move. Sides, couldn't it smell it's food down wind? Human would make tasty morsel!

I was wondering why he didn't allow comments on his site. Hell, you can't even turn down the volume. I thought my ears were going to explode when I clicked play.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
All to often these days, something is proclaimed by some pseudo intellectual, and it becomes fact. People can't be bothered to examine the claim and verify, so stories go on to become a sensation.

BUT. I believe now, people are also tired of the faux news and are not as easily convinced. Perhaps this will increase in scope to where people will take the time to examine and discount previously 'gospel' news sources. The Trump fake news claims has opened a vast amount of eyes to outright lies and fiction.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

perhaps there's a gaggle of substantially chubby Polar Bears standing just off camera...

The Global Warming icons are back

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I haven't been doing much reading on the whole climate debate as of late but I did read a piece over at WUWT that has a relation to this OP . Well worth a read .

As many readers know, there was a erroneous and malicious paper recently published by The journal Bioscience titled Internet blogs, polar bears, and climate-change denial by proxy, (Harvey et al. 2017) covered here and here by WUWT, along with a request for retraction here.

The person who was the focus of the 14 authors of the Harvey et al. paper was Dr. Susan Crockford, and I decided to send her a series of interview questions so that she could tell her side of the story. She graciously responded within 48 hours of my request. This Q&A is unedited in content, with only two spelling and punctuation corrections plus font style changes to fit the format of this website. – Anthony Watts
wattsupwiththat.com...

A fact I didn't know about the critters is their yearly diet of lack there of

Q. Are polar bears adaptable in their feeding habits? Is sea-ice an absolute requirement for their survival? Polar bears are relatively adaptable. They will scavenge, for example, or try new prey that presents itself, like dolphins trapped by ice in Svalbard a few years ago. Sea ice is an absolute requirement for their survival but they don’t need it year round. Polar bears need sea ice in the fall through spring, with spring being the critical season. Bears eat little in the summer whether they are on the ice or on land, and eat little through the cold and dark of the Arctic winter. Most food is consumed in the spring (2/3 of the yearly total) and the second most important time is fall, when bears that have fasted over the summer can recoup some of the weight they have lost. This ability to fast through the summer as well as through the depth of winter is clearly what has made it possible for polar bears to survive previous warm periods that had low amounts of summer sea ice.

edit on 9-12-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The grammar police are going to get you! Anyway, global warming is real, most people know and accept that, as fact. Just as most scientist agree with it as fact. Its the alt right, who scream it isn't, but we all know they just follow their leaders, not the scientific communities, and numbers. Yes I have seen reports of a couple of people trying to inflate numbers, but that does not mean its all fake, as some would say on ATS.

The ones who say its fake, are also the ones who believe everything trump says. The U.S. leaving the Paris agreement was one of the dumbest moves for our future possible.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

I am willing to bet,if I told you I stubbed my toe this morning,you'd still go on about Trump and your political opinions??
Is that safe to assume??

What do you think about this news piece?
What do think of the OP?
(just for you)
How will leaving the Paris Agreement change or affect this news piece now,or,if it was written in the future??

Focus!!

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It may be intentional, and if so, great work! However, if by accident...your bastardization of the English language is 'fantastical' in the most 'extreemest' of 'extreams'!!

I particularly love...

the "Internut"
"holy fooking unevidenced assumption"
"scorse"
"explainations"
""explainsations""
...and my personal favorite..."regurgitsated" (just love that one!! Love it so much I'm stealing it!)
"co-oberating" (this one is cool too!)

I'm actually being serious too!

I'm now going to go out to the interNUT to scorse some explainsations based on a bunch of peeple's regurgistations which co-oberate my op-onion.

I LOVE it!!

edit - Okay "op-onion" was mine, I admit it, but yours are awesum!

edit on 12/9/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Here is the deal - this is how most polar bears get their sustenance: They look for holes in the ice (I forgot how they got there) and what happens is seals that hunt in the ocean have to use these holes occasionally to breathe and get some air. Polar bears hang out around these holes to nab the seals just as they come up. This is probably how they get 90% of their food.

Now with less ice, or the ice breaking up into chunks, this entire situation goes away. I saw a documentary where they were hopelessly swimming around the ocean endlessly trying to hunt the seals, but to no avail. It is too easy for the seals to get away. It is pretty sad for them but I guess lucky for the seals.

Now whether this (warming/melting) is caused by humans or not is debatable since warming periods occurred even without humans. On the other hand there are weather patterns on Earth that are unprecedented and coincide with the developments of humans, and population growth.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AttitudeProblem

perhaps there's a gaggle of substantially chubby Polar Bears standing just off camera...

That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AttitudeProblem

That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
We are allowed to feed the deer here, why aren't people allowed to help the Polar Bears there?

The scientists making money off of this want the bears to go extinct I think, so they can get more research money. What good is the research money if nothing is done to keep these creatures alive?

Where is Humanity when you need it, surely the people who say we cannot help out these animals are not human. How come if we pick up an injured bird and give it nutrition to help it we are lawbreakers but someone with a degree can feed them so they do not die.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

The second video is really pertinent in the message. All of these flights around the world are causing a lot of problems, if people had to drive, they would not go cross country to see their kids very often or take that trip to Vegas every few years. They would not go on the Cruises so much, some people are obsessed with taking cruises.

They do nothing to curb the airflights, it seems if money is being spent, it is all right to polute. We need to buy new energy efficient things that screw up the environment when they are made and hauled, but that is acceptable because three years from now a much more efficient one will be pushed, we have to buy that and toss out the old.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Fake News of Polar Bears Dying From Global Warming Exposed — Again

But relax. Ursus maritimus, the charming carnivorous mascot that is the cash cow primus maximus for the World Wildlife Fund, Greenpeace, IUCN, and other “green” exploiters, is not in any danger of extinction.

In fact, polar bear populations are thriving.

That is the message of Dr. Judith A Crockford, who runs the polarbearscience.com website.

“The more the polar bears fail to die in droves,” she wrote in a December 21 posting, “the shriller the message from activist polar bear researchers — via willing media megaphones — that the great death of the bears will soon be upon us, just you wait and see!”

There ya go! The truth of the dying polar bear!

Well, is that what happened? Dr. Crockford answers: But nothing of the kind happened.

There are still lots of polar bears and not even struggling-to-survive bears but lots of fat healthy bears everywhere across the Arctic, in what were considered by USGS biologists to be the most vulnerable regions of all: Western Hudson Bay (i.e., Churchill), Chukchi Sea and Southern Beaufort (Alaska) and the Barents Sea (Norway).

edit on 0004Saturday201713 by silo13 because: my bold

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here we go with that polar bear vs global warming argument again.

I did a thread on this already. It's just BS hype.

This is starting to become the new chemtrails debate.
edit on 12/9/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: StallionDuck

Here is the deal - this is how most polar bears get their sustenance: They look for holes in the ice (I forgot how they got there) and what happens is seals that hunt in the ocean have to use these holes occasionally to breathe and get some air. Polar bears hang out around these holes to nab the seals just as they come up. This is probably how they get 90% of their food.

Now with less ice, or the ice breaking up into chunks, this entire situation goes away. I saw a documentary where they were hopelessly swimming around the ocean endlessly trying to hunt the seals, but to no avail. It is too easy for the seals to get away. It is pretty sad for them but I guess lucky for the seals.

Now whether this (warming/melting) is caused by humans or not is debatable since warming periods occurred even without humans. On the other hand there are weather patterns on Earth that are unprecedented and coincide with the developments of humans, and population growth.

I've seen that documentary. It was debunked. If the ocean water warms up, then those holes move inland. The seals chase fish, while swim under the shade of the drifting icebergs.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
boy did you nail the proverbial christ on the head with this thread! it's funny though, not only because the polar bears can't find any food any more, but there's a lot more ice so they almost starve before finding the ocean waters.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If this Paul Nicklen guy cares so much, why didn't he help that bear?

This is what starvation looks like. The muscles atrophy. No energy. It’s a slow, painful death.

From his instagram, so he's basically an asshole that realizes the bear is likely suffering and dying, but does nothing to help.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

How would you suggest he help the bear.

Give it a pickanic basket?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join