It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the truth of the dying polar bear ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Vector99

How would you suggest he help the bear.

Give it a pickanic basket?

Seeing as he says it is starving, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably can skip the basket and just give it some food though.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Bears are adaptable. They eat anything, from carrion to fresh. From meat to veggies.

The bears, anywhere, are among the last critters I'd worry about as far as being effected by climate change... Other things, certainly I'd worry.

Click-bait.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yeah. A sandwich, that would help.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Bears are adaptable. They eat anything, from carrion to fresh. From meat to veggies.

Looks like that bear hasn't had much to eat. For a while.

edit on 12/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

LOL @ pickanic basket

Only us old farts know what that is, hey BooBoo-boy ?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. A sandwich, that would help.

You really gotta work on your sarcastic deliveries. Seems like you are implying food won't help a starving bear, so what would help a starving bear if food won't do it?

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

From a purely non-professional point of view, and based on the image; capturing the bear and providing a feeding program might help. But probably not.

It takes quite a bit of food to sustain carnivore of that size.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I wouldn't want to be the one to try and catch a starving polar bear, and I don't think a tranq would be very smart given it's current condition. Give the bear some food to regain some strength, THEN capture it and take it here

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

What sort of food do you think the photographer had on him? A pickanic basket full of goodies? A granola bar?

"Of course, that crossed my mind," said Nicklen. "But it's not like I walk around with a tranquilizer gun or 400 pounds of seal meat."

And even if he did, said Nicklen, he only would have been prolonging the bear's misery. Plus, feeding wild polar bears is illegal in Canada.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

rarehistoricalphotos.com... you can feed them from a tank if your russian

or out your kitchen window if your brave www.youtube.com... although i dont think that one si a polar bear

www.sciencealert.com...

The polar bear perched on a small wedge of ice has become a clichéd symbol for the way climate change is affecting animal life, but those bears still have some good food days, as indicated by an astonishing recent event in Siberia. At least 230 of the animals converged on the carcass of a beached bowhead whale on the region's northern coast to feast on the bounty. This may be a common occurrence in polar bear societies, but there aren't necessarily always people around to see it. This time, there were - a tourist group with Heritage Expeditions, led by founder Rodney Russ. "Today has been one of those days I or anybody else with me will never ever forget," Russ wrote on his blog. "You had to live it to believe it, even now there are people pinching themselves to make sure it really happened."
guess we could tow beached whales to them and just drop them off and whole bear clans will show up

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

True, that he does, and that's a terrible way to die.

When was the picture taken, I wonder?

Was the bear somehow injured? Or sick? Both? That happens, and it's usually a death sentence when it does. That picture, while extremely sad, is one bear. As a whole, the polar bear population is, by all accounts, thriving.

Bears adapt. That's why Yellowstone Park forbids feeding the bears after decades of allowing it. The bears, knowing a good thing when they see it, were turning into mooches, worse, they were dangerously well armed mooches who were becoming in some cases a problem.

I've been in that area of the Arctic on a number of occasions, during the winter (not something I recommend, it's damned cold), and during the summer (again, not something I'd recommend...mosquitos will carry you off if you're not careful...), there is much in the way of food there, so I'm guessing the bear is/was either injured somehow, or sick...did this oh, so sad "naturalist" even bother to investigate? Or did he immediately jump to a conclusion that he knew would get him lots of clicks...?

He could even have been poisoned. That's been known to happen, as well. A bear gets where he/she doesn't belong, the natives seldom hesitate to remove 'em.

Another thing. How old is the bear? Age could be playing a definite roll in its travails.

A picture tells a story, but not always the right one.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's a video, actually.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You're right, it is a video.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Really? 400lb of seal meat? Polar bears eat the fat in seals, and typically leave the rest of the carcass for scavengers. They need about an average of 4lb a day to survive, not 400lb, so the guy is a bit exaggerating regarding his inability to help. You also would think he would be aware of the polar bear habitat located in Canada, if he was truly so concerned.

As far as the legality, the only thing I can find is it being illegal to feed wildlife in national parks, which entails a small fine. That law also seems geared towards stopping people from feeding healthy wildlife to get photo ops, not ones dying from starvation. Was he in a national park when he filmed this? I also find it unlikely Canada would give him a $1000 fine for feeding that bear, and if they did he could easily set up a go-fund-me and likely get 100x the amount of the fine in donations, PLUS have the good conscious of knowing he saved a polar bear.

But yea, there was nothing he could do....carry on.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

They need about an average of 4lb a day to survive,
Apparently that bear had been somewhat short of that 4lb a day for quite a while.

You also would think he would be aware of the polar bear habitat located in Canada, if he was truly so concerned.
You mean a refuge or something? Yeah. Knowing about that would have helped the bear.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Apparently that bear had been somewhat short of that 4lb a day for quite a while.

If the bear wasn't sick, that is quite obvious. So instead of giving it some food, lets just watch it starve? If someone is suffering from hypothermia would you say they don't need a blanket because they have been cold for a while now?

You mean a refuge or something? Yeah. Knowing about that would have helped the bear.

Yes, typically habitats and wildlife rehab facilities do that, help. Otherwise what is the point of them?

No clue why you are being so obtuse about this, yes the guy clearly could have helped had he been so inclined to and he didn't, then shot out with some BS excuses why he couldn't/didn't.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Nursing an animal (bear or human) back from starvation is more complex than wrapping someone in a blanket.

yes the guy clearly could have helped had he been so inclined
Easy for you to say. I disagree.

Here's "the guy":
www.ted.com...

edit on 12/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Where do you get your information?

No way will I believe a polar bear only eats 4 lbs a fat a day.

Crap. Now I'm going to have to go look it up.

I might add, I also don't believe a polar bear only eats the fat. I just don't see them going, 'Ewww, don't eat that! It's the gross part!'

Edit to Add:]/b] Well I'll be danged! It does say on a number of sites these bears are known to eat the fat and leave the meat for scavengers as you said. I would thing, though, this would be when there was a great availability of seals. Kind'a like a fat kid with double-stuff Oreo's. Just eat the middle and toss out the other parts. Seriously - you toss a hunk a seal meat at the bear in the video and I'm thinking it would have munched it right up.

edit on 2906Saturday201713 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13
ive seen the same thing with grizly bears [on tv]. i assumed theyd want salmon for its meat but apparently they just want the brains and caviar then they leave the rest for scavengers.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Polar bears always look thin wet, their fur is designed to fluff up and insulate against the cold.
This one is Looking for a seal or at least a bigger iceberg.
(T is your position)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join