It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Franken......WHOOPS....Next to go....

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well on the first page I guessed there would be a lot of excuses. 13 pages of em. What delusional hypocrisy and double standards. Not that I'm surprised.

link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Grambler

The reason he started it is simple the senate ethics committee has no power. All they can do is decide if he violated senate rules. At worst they can conclude his actions were inappropriate for a senator.

Hmmm. Does it count if he was a Comedian, not Senator at the time?

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Grambler

It looks like he was kidding around, to me.

Well the woman in the picture says in the Hill article linked in the OP that he forced his tongue down her throat.

Big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal if you are a person who has been screaming about how actions like that are sexual assualt and must be taken seriously.

So now we will see how consistent those people are.

Ruin humor and obfuscate sexual assault to settle a political squabble? Not worth it.

Dont tell me, tell those on the left that have set the standard and ruined humor.

I agree that this picture to me may be in bad taste if he touched her, but its not the end of the world.

However, I wont write off forcing his tongue down her throat like you have. That is a form of assualt that should be addressed.

Nonetheless, lets see how the left responds to this.

His career will be ruined because he was kidding around. That’s not a world I want to live in.
...was he kidding when he forced his tongue in her throat? I know writers from Saturday Night Live aren't all that funny but come on now. You know more creepiness will be coming out.

He strikes as a pretty unpleasant person to meet.

link   

originally posted by: knoxie

why aren't you calling for an investigation into moore's behavior? or, trumps?

What are you talking about?

If a credible allegation is brought up against them, then there should be a legal investiagtion.

I feel the same way with Franken.

You are the one who feels that Franken calling for an ethics investigations into himself is somehow more noble, when he only did this when he was outed.

Why did he wait? Why isnt he calling for a criminal investigation into himself?

I feel that the same should apply to all three; if people bring up credible allegations they should be handdled in the exact same way it would be for all people, through the legal system.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

The reason he started it is simple the senate ethics committee has no power. All they can do is decide if he violated senate rules. At worst they can conclude his actions were inappropriate for a senator.

Hmmm. Does it count if he was a Comedian, not Senator at the time?

No same thing they were talking about judge moore. Claiming hes not senate material.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: ClovenSky

a reply to: seagull

So, that somehow excuses it? Does this sort of behavior suddenly disappear from the record when elected to high office?

No, he wasn't yet a Senator at the time. Oops, my mistake.

Doesn't change anything about the inappropriate behavior, at all.

Would you care to make a wager that that sort of behavior wasn't the first time, or the last?

Making gags and jokes? Well, for a comedian it is quite common.

I think a lot of people recognize this was possibly related to his job at the time. That does not change anything in this case. There is no way we can interject 'humor' into this situation and make it go away. That would distort the defined lines of what is acceptable and what isn't. We need to start getting to black and white for all contact between humans. That is where this scenario ultimately leads.

When joking about sexual assault is construed as sexual assault, all is lost. Time to break out the consent forms.

Yup. Have you heard Carlin's rape jokes?

I dont think the picture is that big a deal, as I have said.

I also have no problem with the crudest of jokes including rape jokes.

But forcing your tongue in someones mouth is not a joke; period.

Now I feel he should be allowed to face these accusations and be inncoent until proven guilty.

However, that is not the tact that many have chosen with others accused of abusing women.

Gotta go with what he said;;

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think this is a limp attempt because of partisan politics. In other words...status quo.

Why would you just dismiss this because of politics. Does that make the situation easier? This has nothing to do with politics.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Believing every accusation of sexual assault made against a public figure may be consistent, but its still stupid.

Agreed.

Thats why I believe in inncoent until proven guilty, even with Franken here.

But I am so tired of people in power having one set of rules for one group, and a different for their own.

I would rather have a stupid consitent person than an not so stupid partisan hack.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

The yearbook proves nothing, that's the difference. Even if the yearbook is legitimate, a simple signature doesn't prove sexual assault.

That's not the topic we were discussing, but ok. I believe our conversation was about one person being apologetic and the other being defiant.

Now, if you want to talk about this, I'm ok with it. The yearbook would prove that he's lying about knowing her. It's as strong a case as a picture that has debatable contact. You should give both people the same amount of guilt/innocence and not draw obvious political lines. That is not what this is about.

I like Franken and I don't care for Moore. But I believe all the women involved. One being demonstrably more forceful than the other, I might add.

Spread your beliefs across the entire slice of bread. Makes the sh*t sandwich easier to digest.
edit on 16-11-2017 by Eshel because: better thought layout

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

...was he kidding when he forced his tongue in her throat? I know writers from Saturday Night Live aren't all that funny but come on now. You know more creepiness will be coming out.

He strikes as a pretty unpleasant person to meet.

Anyone who marks someone as guilty until proven innocent is is far worse than unpleasant.
edit on 16-11-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: knoxie

Where is the evidence that occurred?

On an appearance on The Howard Stern Show in 2005, published on Sunday by CNN, Trump described going backstage at the beauty pageants while the contestants were undressed. “Before a show, I’ll go backstage and everyone’s getting dressed, and everything else, and you know, no men are anywhere,"

and I’m allowed to go in because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” he said. “You know, I’m inspecting because I want to make sure that everything is good.” “You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody okay?’” he continued. “And you see these incredible looking women, and so, I SORT OF GET AWAY WITH THINGS LIKE THAT.”

"According to interviews BuzzFeed News conducted with former Miss Teen USA contestants, Trump did just that in 1997. Four women who were competing in the pageant that year — including one who was 15 at the time — recalled that Trump walked into the dressing area while they were changing."

"One of them called it “shocking” and “creepy” and said she rushed to cover herself. Another recalled that the contestants were “just scrambling to grab stuff… whatever garments they had.”

Another called it “really shocking,” saying, “We were all naked.” there with no clothes.

edit on 16-11-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I can not tell if he is touching them or not in that picture.

regardless, you keep making it seem as if this is all about the picture, which I agree with you was a joke most likely.

The fact that you dont believe her is irrelevant.

The point is, you continue to act as if this is all just people being upset at a bad joke, and there are more to the accusations than that.

Even assuming he did stick his tongue down her throat, she said no, don't do that again, and he didn't do it again. Human interaction has a little more nuance than some of us might think.

I am saying the people that have done so with others based in he said she said evidence should be consistent across party lines.

And? There is zero daylight between this woman's account and Al Frankens. He has taken full accountability for what occurred.

Those defending moore as having because there is no proof of the accusations should defend Franken here for the same reasons.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Roy Moore's accusers range as young as 14 years old, involve attempted rape, there are 8 women now and a tonnage of locals in his home town who say he was known to prey on teenage girls.

Trying to say that scenario is the same as Al Franken is dumb.

Trying to say that a court-of-law standard should apply to making an every day decision like voting is dumb.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Cripes. We're talking about Franken here. It's already partisan crap. Let's not double down on it.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Well on the first page I guessed there would be a lot of excuses. 13 pages of em. What delusional hypocrisy and double standards. Not that I'm surprised.

It only appears that way through partisan glasses.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

And? There is zero daylight between this woman's account and Al Frankens. He has taken full accountability for what occurred.

really? So he admitted to forcing his tongue in her mouth against her will?

I thought his statement said his recolection of the rehearsal was different.

But please, go on.

Link to me where he admitted to putting his tongue in her mouth against her will and aopoligized.

You keep repeating it, so it must be true.

Not sure what you are trying to say. Roy Moore's accusers range as young as 14 years old, involve attempted rape, there are 8 women now and a tonnage of locals in his home town who say he was known to prey on teenage girls.

Trying to say that scenario is the same as Al Franken is dumb.

Trying to say that a court-of-law standard should apply to making an every day decision like voting is dumb.

Although the allegations against moore are more egregious, both of these situations involve a he said she said situation.

The amount of people making those claims is irrelevant.

Of course people should vote their conscious.

But being aaccused does not equal guilt.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

There is apparently another woman coming forward she is setting up press conference. Im betting this is just a start its open season on politicians.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Cripes. We're talking about Franken here. It's already partisan crap. Let's not double down on it.

Oh, so I am just to let people spout how great the democrats are at actively dealing with abusers on their side?

I think not.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

There is apparently another woman coming forward she is setting up press conference. Im betting this is just a start its open season on politicians.

On one hand, I do believe in inoocent until proven guilty.

But on the other, I would not be surprised if their is a lot of abuse like this in washington, and if victims finally can see some justice by forcing investigations into their abusers, I am all for it, regardless of political party.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

“And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her,’” Franken said. “Or, ‘that’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘when she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”

Link to Article

That's a hysterical joke isn't it? Almost as good as Louis CK's stuff.

He is so innocently funny.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Oh, so I am just to let people spout how great the democrats are at actively dealing with abusers on their side?

I think not.

Well if you won't listen to my words listen to your own:

Funny from the person who keeps bringing up Moore instead of Franken.

You can stop bringing up Menendez now.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

“And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her,’” Franken said. “Or, ‘that’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘when she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”

Link to Article

That's a hysterical joke isn't it? Almost as good as Louis CK's stuff.

He is so innocently funny.

I couldnt care less about the jokes.

So what?

I dont want to live in a humorless society.

I still think Louis was funny by the way.

But avtual actions of any type of abuse taken are a different matter that should be taken seriously.

We should not conflate jokes with actual actions though.
edit on 16-11-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join