It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Fired After Giving Trump's Motorcade the Finger.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Trump's fascist America. Can we at least hear some lies about "liberty" to try to make us feel better?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think if a random stranger took the picture and posted it of her, she would have a case; but in this case she posted it to her own personal sites, essentially advertising what she did, doesn't Facebook also show where you work.
Brag about flipping off the president on social media when the company has rules about personal social media content will always put your job in jeopardy.
The one thing I dislike is employers controlling our lives to this extent; we are economic peons.
I don't think she should have been fired, just written up and warned and also asked to take them down.
Firing her was a draconian action, but then again maybe they never liked her or other issues had come up in the past.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Trump's fascist America. Can we at least hear some lies about "liberty" to try to make us feel better?

What does her getting fired have to do with Trump? Did he make Virginia an at will employment state or have her make this photo be her social media avatar?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Sure. You are free to be as unprofessional as you like and still keep your job.
edit on 7-11-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WhereAmEYE

Oh please..if you can't figure out the difference between lighting a car on fire, causing property damage, endangering live's..against giving the finger, sorry there is a mile wide difference.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I flipped the bird at George Bush senior in his motorcade in 1992 in Melbourne. The only consequence was he flipped the bird back at me.

Ah, for the days before social media and the virtual panopticon.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm not sure if some people realize this or not, but there exists a job function in some larger companies that all they do is monitor employee social media accounts for violations. If you want to avoid it just make your accounts private, and don't post anything you may regret later. I've seen folks terminated for pictures of hard partying, drug use, protesting, etc. Just be sure to read your companies social media policy before you start, some of them are quite strict, so even if you're not in an at will state you can be terminated. Not saying I agree with it, especially in cases where you're not in company attire, at a company event, or posting on a profile associated with your company.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
So she was fired for flipping Trump the bird in her own time.

Doesn't seem like she should be fired to me.

Virginia is at will employment, they can fire her for pretty much any reason they want.

So you basically have no employment rights and protection.

Well that sucks.

surly she can sue them though now for unfair dismissal?

Here’s how it works in America.

If you’re in a union you may have what they call an appeal right where you get a hearing through the union and the labor relations of the company that fired you.

Unfortunately unions in the south are very rare and very week. In-fact the US union movement has been pretty well gutted through GOP actions

In this case if she has no union appeal rights she'll have to hire a private lawyer. They'll only take the case if it looks like she can win

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Nope at will means they can fire you for nothing.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
By federal law they cant, but they often do anyway, fire you for anything that has to do with any discriminatory reason: race, religion, sexuality, age, things like that.

Though, when that happens a person either has to sue through a private attorney or go to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

EEOC is a separate Federal agency that has authority to enforce the civil rights laws covering most private employers. ECOC, a federal agency that investigates firings based on discriminatory reasons

LINK

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: intrptr

No way....the Founders would not have given us freedom of association if they intended for people to have to associate with those they don't agree with or think might be a liability to their place of business.

Thats because you have been conditioned to behave like your rights are only good in certain places and times.

Liability is different. Harassment, sexual, verbal, emotional or otherwise isn't allowed anywhere. Neither can you yell fire in a crowded theatre. You are however entitled to your opinion on any given subject anywhere.

Thats the whole idea, sadly lost under generations of manipulation.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: intrptr

No way....the Founders would not have given us freedom of association if they intended for people to have to associate with those they don't agree with or think might be a liability to their place of business.

Thats because you have been conditioned to behave like your rights are only good in certain places and times.

Liability is different. Harassment, sexual, verbal, emotional or otherwise isn't allowed anywhere. Neither can you yell fire in a crowded theatre. You are however entitled to your opinion on any given subject anywhere.

Thats the whole idea, sadly lost under generations of manipulation.

No.

I have been conditioned to demand that my constitutional rights and the constitutional rights of others be protected equally. Whether I personally agree or disagree with how private individuals have handled it.

There is no liability -- I REPEAT -- there is NO LIABILITY if an employer fires an employee for any reason that is not specifically prohibited by law.

edit on 11/7/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

They said, "Congress cannot." I wouldn't have expected you to be so ignorant.

Thats where you display your ignorance.

Macrocosm (society) and microcosm (the family unit) are equal under the law. The reason it says "Congress shall not make any law..." is because thats what control freaks do, is get power and then legislate their ideas of control on everybody.

That starts in the home and thats where it should stop. But sadly, some think they have the right to lord it over others. I'd flip the bird at them too, and laugh while I did it.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

There is no liability -- I REPEAT -- there is NO LIABILITY if an employer fires an employee for any reason that is not specifically prohibited by law.

Right, nowadays.

Bill of rights isn't considered law anymore anyway, except to save face in official statements.

That why police can search and seize your property without due process.

Thats why cops gun down an unarmed person and get away with it.

Thats why this gubment violates other nations rights like sovereignty and self determination with impunity.

Because of 'law and order' crowd that insist they know the law better than them.

Who bothers wth old bill of rights?

edit on 7-11-2017 by intrptr because: portion redacted

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Blaine91555

Two; we're seeing too many instances of a complete disregard to free expression in our society.

Her free expression was not curtailed in the slightest. She chose to do that and clearly knew it might cause trouble at work and knew she had connected her name to the company via her social media accounts. She can flip off the President to his face and nothing will happen to her for it.

Still, I suspect we don't know the whole story and never will. Unless that company is naive, they won't say anything more, even if this person was a problem at work beyond this one instance. Believe me when I say, when people are fired they always lie about why or don't tell the whole story.

I'm a bit jaded though. Right now I have someone stalking me and threatening with everything from a law suit to death. I let her go because she and her boyfriend were involved in an armed robbery on top of her missing half her days over many months. Her side? She says she is so valuable that I had no right to fire her for not coming to work. She's telling others that she never missed any work and leaving out the armed robbery and to add to that, she's in court now for driving under the influence of Heroine and possession.

This is not an unusual thing believe it or not, I've even had employees at my window at home pounding in the middle of the night wanting an advance on their pay. I have one guy who I fired and had arrested when he came in drunk and did a lot of property damage, that after 12 years still calls me now from another state to tell me he's going to kill me.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Now this case, unless he is a Trump lover, its probably about an employer who determined this person is a personality liability to his firm.

That’s not illegal

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Do we really have free expression, can we honestly call it free expression if it's okay to punish people for what they say?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

We've been over this dozens of times on ATS alone over the years. What usually happens is some dumbo claims his free speech rights have been violated when some mod removes a post or thread and the author has a hissy fit. But ATS is privately owned and can set any damn rules it wants and you have no recourse in the matter.

But you don't get it, "over the years".

This sites management prides itself on allowing different opinions regardless. Unless you attack insult, ridicule, etc. I know, I always go against the grain of American Exceptionalism and speak out against endless war, police brutality, corruption, etc. I am not singled out by admin for my opinion, except those times I have crossed the line of personal attack, for instance.

They don't just "set any damn rules they like" or apply rules arbitrarily.

You should bite your keyboard for stating that.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Do we really have free expression, can we honestly call it free expression if it's okay to punish people for what they say?

If it’s the government doing it then we got a problem

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join